Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

16 minutes ago, samsonh said:

Ehh, California is doing pretty well, a 26 billion dollar budget surplus last year.  Economy that would rank as 5th largest country. Creating the largest and most profitable companies in the world. If everyone was like them we would be much better off. 

Ehh, not really. The surplus has less to do with them doing "pretty well", and more to do with the cuts they made in spending  along with the federal aid during pandemic.  Who knows how much income they are losing with companies like HP, Oracle, Elon Musk, etc leaving the state. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigeasy said:

Ehh, not really. The surplus has less to do with them doing "pretty well", and more to do with the cuts they made in spending  along with the federal aid during pandemic.  Who knows how much income they are losing with companies like HP, Oracle, Elon Musk, etc leaving the state. 

Well that just is not true. Not going to debate you on this. It takes a google search to understand why revenue for California is way up, and it has zero to do with federal aid. California keeps producing billion dollar companies, if Tennessee could do the same on a smaller scale we would be ecstatic. California has world class education that produces the talent these companies need, we do not.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, samsonh said:

Well that just is not true. Not going to debate you on this. It takes a google search to understand why revenue for California is way up, and it has zero to do with federal aid. California keeps producing billion dollar companies, if Tennessee could do the same on a smaller scale we would be ecstatic. California has world class education that produces the talent these companies need, we do not.

It most certainly is true and if you google it you would see everything I stated is a fact. The state prepared by cutting their spending and pulled from their savings. Which are both smart things to do when you think income is going to drop. Then add in some federal aid (all states received this benefit) and a pandemic that didn’t impact the wealthy as much and you have increased revenue. Also, the stock market is above pre pandemic levels. California taxes capital gains and has a tax code that relies heavily on the rich. End result is a surplus.

I think you are reading/interpreting that I am dogging the state but I am not. I love parts of California, it has some great higher education schools, and does produce some good companies. But it also lost 1.2m jobs and has a job recovery rate towards the bottom. The wealthy are doing great there, and also are leaving. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bigeasy said:

It most certainly is true and if you google it you would see everything I stated is a fact. The state prepared by cutting their spending and pulled from their savings. Which are both smart things to do when you think income is going to drop. Then add in some federal aid (all states received this benefit) and a pandemic that didn’t impact the wealthy as much and you have increased revenue. Also, the stock market is above pre pandemic levels. California taxes capital gains and has a tax code that relies heavily on the rich. End result is a surplus.

I think you are reading/interpreting that I am dogging the state but I am not. I love parts of California, it has some great higher education schools, and does produce some good companies. But it also lost 1.2m jobs and has a job recovery rate towards the bottom. The wealthy are doing great there, and also are leaving. 

Agreed they have had an uneven recovery, and capital gains are the main reason for the surplus. Federal aid has not played a role, just spent some further time researching it. California has exported wealth and people for decades. This is not a new phenomenon. It will continue to happen, because they are a great incubator of young companies. 

• Thanks 1

Nashville building permit values broke record last year with $4.66 billion worth of permits

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/03/22/2020-sets-record-building-permits.html

The Metro Codes Department dealt $4.66 billion worth of permits in 2020, according to internal data. The figure — which includes new residential, commercial and “other” construction, as well as repairs — is a 10.6%, or nearly $447 million, increase from 2019.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, jkc2j said:

Did a quick Google search on Nashville's MSA population estimates and saw this site https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/23077/nashville/population have it listed as 1,272,000? Not sure if they're using numbers from the census but if I recall Nashville hadn't been that size since the late 90's early 2000's.

Yeah…that’s WAY off.  We’re right at 2 million.

11 minutes ago, jkc2j said:

Did a quick Google search on Nashville's MSA population estimates and saw this site https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/23077/nashville/population have it listed as 1,272,000? Not sure if they're using numbers from the census but if I recall Nashville hadn't been that size since the late 90's early 2000's.

Yeah! That's wrong by a long shot. That website is often wrong.  The MSA is probably going to be just over 2M, as long as the counties don't change. There's some talk that they may change, but not likely to happen by the time the 2020 stats are release (very soon... I think July).  

Maybe a teaser to a new thread for Nashville's Mid-Century Modern buildings. I stumbled across this site for the MCM architecture in each state. Here's the first page for Tennessee...   https://www.roadarch.com/modarch/tn.html

Includes examples from different cities. Memphis has a ton! For Nashville, buildings included are:

Ben West (old library) building

News Channel 5 building

Sheraton Downtown

Regions "gold dome" Branch building

Donelson Christian Church (may have been destroyed by tornado)

Goodlettsville Baptist Church

Municipal Auditorium

Pagoda of Medicine

And a feature from WPLN on Nashville's 2020 Tornado, a year later... https://wpln.org/post/the-tennessee-tornadoes-of-2020-one-year-later/

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

Watching News2 and I-24 near Hickory Hollow under water again (like 2010) with cars underwater.  Cumberland River rising.  Don’t think the Cumberland will do what it did in 2010…but it sure does remind us all how quickly things can change…and just how important it’s going to be to add a flood wall in downtown.  Also…has got to make all developers on the east bank (like River North) think twice.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, titanhog said:

Watching News2 and I-24 near Hickory Hollow under water again (like 2010) with cars underwater.  Cumberland River rising.  Don’t think the Cumberland will do what it did in 2010…but it sure does remind us all how quickly things can change…and just how important it’s going to be to add a flood wall in downtown.  Also…has got to make all developers on the east bank (like River North) think twice.

Thankfully the Cumberland is expected to crest just under 42’ this time(about where it was last Feb.) so flooding downtown is going to be minor. My heart breaks for everyone in SE Nashville along Seven Mile and Mill Creeks. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2