Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

11 hours ago, markhollin said:

Nashville's Entrepreneur's Organization surveyed its 240 members to get ideas for Mayor Cooper to address pressing issues facing Nashville.  Here is a summary:

To address congestion, the EO members recommended:

- Taking a more regional or state-level approach, as opposed to a local level.

- Encouraging business owners to allow employees to work from home

- Coordinated traffic lights 

- Partnerships with technology-focused, private companies on countering traffic problems.

- "Lean more on the private sector for inspiration and direct consulting to solve public problems," the report said.

On education, the members recommended:

- Greater pay for teachers

- Merit pay for teachers

- Greater principal autonomy.

- Some members also called for mayoral appointments on the school board to make it "less dysfunctional" and urged city leaders to "embrace charter schools for more competition and accountability." 

On housing, members wanted to:

- Allow alternative structures, currently denied by codes, as well as tiny homes and more efficient communities.

- Developers could look to the city for subsidies on land purchases which would allow them to sell or rent units at below market rates.

- The city could also encourage high-density residential properties near schools for teachers with rent reductions through property tax abatements. 

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2019/12/18/nashville-housing-inequity-schools-and-traffic-worry-businesses-too/2674202001/

What a bunch of jerks.  Talk about tired, discredited neo-liberal BS.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I think there are a lot of conservative business people in that group as well. These are business folks who know what is needed for the city, as most of us on this board do. There are few a things I dont agree with 100% but I think you are probably wanting to stir the pot like a few have on the board in the past. 

So break the spoon now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Are they afraid to use the term "mass transit" due to the way the last time it was seriously talked about was mishandled?  Don't get me wrong, some of those ideas listed above will help, but we need to address the 800 lb gorilla in the room and take it head on if anything is to actually be done about the traffic situation. The non-stop influx of new people is only going to continue to make this problem worse. I fear we're just going to keep talking about plans and not doing anything about it until we're paralyzed by our own success. 

• Like 3

The technical answer is that it's required by the state constitution. But the general reason you would want to elect a property tax assessor is to avoid a situation where they are able to carry out a personal agenda without accountability, since they are supposed to act independently of the county executive and council. Same reason we elect judges.

Well, we're fvcked if we get someone who is politically motivated or someone who is a straight dumbness.  What a time to be alive.

On 12/29/2019 at 7:41 PM, e-dub said:

Searching through old emails, my how prices have changed...image.thumb.png.6b725504c48e0a9d734b8e84b432e49e.png

I was looking through an old household budget spreadsheet recently and we were splitting $1100/month three ways for a decent three bedroom house with a nice yard in Edgehill back in 2007. There are $750k tall skinnies on the block now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Nashville ranked as one of the top 5 residential markets in the country by Zillow and 0% of those surveyed thought Nashville home prices will decrease.

https://www.zillow.com/research/2020-hot-markets-south-26293/

Yep, good news if you already own here, but bad news if you need to buy here. Air B&B's dont help when people but and there is one of those THINGS next door. Watch the video in the below link.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2020/01/02/nypd-cop-resigns-after-breaking-into-nashville-home-and-arrest/2795059001/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Yep, good news if you already own here, but bad news if you need to buy here. Air B&B's dont help when people but and there is one of those THINGS next door. Watch the video in the below link.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2020/01/02/nypd-cop-resigns-after-breaking-into-nashville-home-and-arrest/2795059001/

Who buys a tall skinny duplex in Nashville to actually live in? I thought they were all AirBnBs. 

1 hour ago, Nash_12South said:

In some defense of tall & skinnys, I used to look down on them too until it dawned on me one day that I'd lived in one for 10 years in Bellevue except there we called it a townhouse. It was only 20 feet wide but that translated into a 20'x15' living room, and a 20'x13' master bedroom. It was pretty spacious when you got inside. If you turned the West Meade house I grew up in sideways it would be short and skinny. I've been in a few tall & skinnys in 12 South and they were all pretty nice. They may not all be what I would want to live in now, but they aren't bad.

Lol, I wasn't knocking the tall and skinny as a type, just the fact that it appears that the vast majority of new construction in certain neighborhoods is being gobbled up by investors and turned into STRs. Edgehill, Chestnut Hill, North Nashville. There's a common element amongst all of them as well

Edited by Nashvillain
Wrote Edgefield instead of Edgehill
  • Like 2