Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

I can't stand the scooters, but I don't personally believe they are the problem. Nor do I think they should be removed, maybe just better regulation. The problem are the people using them. I have never been on one but to me they would be a great alternative for commuting. However, the people that I see using them are tourist or just people downtown looking to have fun in a group. Therefor they are usually not being observant of their surroundings, do not follow the rules of the road, and in some cases could be a bit intoxicated.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bigeasy said:

I can't stand the scooters, but I don't personally believe they are the problem. Nor do I think they should be removed, maybe just better regulation. The problem are the people using them. I have never been on one but to me they would be a great alternative for commuting. However, the people that I see using them are tourist or just people downtown looking to have fun in a group. Therefor they are usually not being observant of their surroundings, do not follow the rules of the road, and in some cases could be a bit intoxicated.

So the scooters would be fine if someone other than people rode them

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, AronG said:

The mayor called them a "failed experiment" this morning at the Nashville Walk Bike forum.

That's an incredibly disappointing opinion by a mayor and administration who have themselves been a "failed experiment" in a few ways, but that's for another forum. As for scooters: I've had a fair share of irritations by scooters and scooter users, but my hope (and personal opinion) is that with a little more education, coordination and regulation,  scooters can fit it seamlessly with vehicle and pedestrian traffic. Take away scooters, and those riders will just open an app and request an Uber or Lyft ride -- which means more vehicular traffic.

• Like 4

I disagree with your assessment about a small amount of sidewalk space. I walk more than the average Joe downtown and I can't tell you the number of times I have been nearly hit, tripped over, dodged, thrown one of these pieces of crap off the sidewalk to get it out of my way. I get dirty looks when I politely tell these arrogant little snots they are supposed to be riding them in the streets.    

I have talked to Metro Police officers and they have pretty much been directed to give a hands off approach to the issue as they have too many other things to do. 

The speed limit is entirely too fast. The users do not know how to use them . The users do not obey the rules of the road or sidewalk as they think it is their privilege to run everyone else off the road and sidewalk out of their way. They dont wear helmets and the companies still rent to every Tom, Dick and, drunk Mary out there. This is not to mention the folks that think they can go against traffic on them.

The companies lie when they say they do not place them in handicap zones and on sidewalks as I have seen them place them myself in the sidewalk path and they want you to contact them, but when you look at their websites there is no place many times or ever to contact them.

They are a menace to the user, the law abiding pedestrians, handicap persons, the worn out drivers that have enough to do to look out for drunk pedestrians and stupid tourist that are constantly walking out in front of cars, construction companies closing sidewalks, which Metro Council promised they would fix, irregular lane changes and closures, not to mention the fact that we have tons more folks living, visiting, and working downtown than we did 5 years ago.

They have opened every part of the city to these two wheeled monsters and they are parked on city streets all over town, sorry laying in city streets.

Yes I think it is a failed experiment and you wonder why they are banned in NYC and only allowed in certain areas of Chicago. This is a fad and will soon run its course as most cities will come to realize they are not worth the headache they are causing.

• Thanks 1

A friend of mine recorded his walk along Broadway a few nights ago. From 5 th Avenue to 7 th Avenue he counted almost 100 scooters littering the sidewalks.

The companies who place these scooters cannot control their hardware nor activity of the customers who rent them. I would rejoice at their exit from our community. 

I expect that the majority of trips the scooters are currently used for could easily be made on foot anyway. The walk will be good for you, eh?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

The problem isnt the scooters themselves, it the enforcement and the users. ... METRO needs to step their enforcement (and abandon this "hands-off" approach BS) and grab intoxicated people for OUI, fine people who are on the sidewalk. If the scooters are parked incorrectly, the companies shouldn't have 2-hours to move the scooter either.

^^^ DITTO! Instead of Briley just giving in and calling scooters a "failed experiment," he should've taken a pro-active approach to make them a successful experiment. Beef up the requirements on the companies to educate riders and hold the companies accountable. And surely the speed on those things can be controlled by the company -- maybe the max speed needs to be reduced on the scooters themselves.

• Like 3

I understand all the comments on where scooters will be in our future. I'm just not sure Nashville is an appropriate city to work out the kinks. Two thirds of Nashville users seem to be tourists who have no understanding of the rules nor willingness to abide by them. 

Also - was it too long ago that easy to pick up bicycles were the wave of the future? We'd have stands to drop off/pick up on every block and no one would use cars......

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rockatansky said:

When comparing different modes with different speeds at different scales one should use fatalities per trip, not per mile.

That's not quite right as your exposure to crash risk is based on the length/duration of your trip regardless of mode. Obviously if I scoot/ride/drive for just a few hundred feet then I'm exposed to less crash risk than if I scooted/rode/drove for two miles. This is true whether I'm alone on a street or in the middle of a busy thoroughfare, although of course a trip of the same length along each would present different risks as well. It's true that comparing fatality rates between vastly different modes is sort of apples-to-oranges but on the other hand you're just as dead if you die in a car wreck as you are if you die riding a scooter or flying in an airplane.

Ideally, since most non-vehicular fatalities involve a collision with a vehicle, the most accurate measurement would be a weighted sum of miles traveled with the number of vehicles using the same route. This is similar to how crash risk at railroad crossings is calculated (number of trains using the crossing × number of vehicles using the crossing). The scooter firms actually have a means to calculate this since all of their scooters are necessarily equipped with GPS. Would take a lot of computing however.

• Like 1