Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

35 minutes ago, CityHeart said:

What would your version/vision of 5th + Broadway look like ? 

I think there will be regrets when this project comes online, because it will fill up so quickly. The retail portion could have been 3x and the office tower probably should have gone, at least, the original 35. How does 26 floors of condos on top of 34 floors of apartments sound? But, hey...nobody could forsee this future when these pie-in-the-sky plans were drawn up! This is a massive project involving cooperation with the Renaissance Hotel, etc. Pat Emery was accomplished the impossible!

• Like 3

I was able to pull the data from 2010 - 2017 for housing starts in Davidson, Robertson, Rutherford, Sumner, Williamson, and Wilson Counties. I've put together some graphs of the data as well.  It is very confusing to me that the Census Bureau has all of these counties having higher in-migration than Davidson despite Davidson having significantly more building of residential units. 

One thing does jump out to me as a possible inaccurate data point supplied from Metro to the Census Bureau.  The Census Bureau breaks down units as either single family, 2 unit, 3 or 4 unit, or 5+ unit construction. What's interesting is that Davidson has essentially no two-unit construction reported despite all of the duplexes we see going up. The most ever reported out was 31 back in 2013, although we all know it is several times higher than that. This got me thinking and wondering if Davidson County's 2 on 1 lots are being counted as single family units. If they are being counted as single family units (because they are replacing single family units on lots zoned as single family) then this could result in dramatically increased numbers of units as well as affect population estimates. 

Here are the graphs of housing starts I mentioned above: 

Total Housing Starts.png

County Starts.png

I’ve got several more things I can add, so stay tuned.

Edited by Hey_Hey
  • Like 2

For example O.I.C. is listed at the overall owner of the land but then the individual buildings have different names attached to them.

I've had it described to me as Nashville doesn't allow that size of properties, it wasn't very clear as to why it was like that, anyone who could break it down would be great. 

Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 10.05.45 AM.png

42 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Panel discussion on Nashville's growth from Urban Land Institute's convention here  last week:

https://urbanland.uli.org/economy-markets-trends/nashville-leaders-reveal-what-draws-100-new-residents-to-their-city-each-day/

The photo has eddie george, jay turner, and john ingram- all part of the MLS committee. Not much in the article written about that, but does anyone know if their plans were shared in that panel discussion? thanks

On 4/19/2019 at 9:02 AM, titanhog said:

Everything seems to be pointing towards a recession soon.  We are historically overdue, I believe.  I was looking at US historical numbers a few months ago and I think this is one of the longest stretches of growth (after the late 00’s recession) we’ve had without receding.  It’s going to eventually catch us.

Some metrics suggest we had a shallow recession in 2016.  If so, the 'longest economic expansion in U.S. history' moniker no longer applies.  Hard to predict when.  As the saying goes, economists have predicted nine of the last five recessions.

Eventually we will experience a recession and it will likely be very painful because the steps we took to get out of the last recession just piled on the debt and created credit-related bubbles.  Until the Federal Reserve stops using Keynesian economic theory, we will experience deep recessions caused by credit contraction.

We can hope that Nashville will endure the recession with less pain due to our health care and tech focus.  The tourism industry here could fare better than other parts of the country because we are a 'cheap' vacation for many people in the eastern U.S. (they can drive rather than fly, no expensive park pass to buy, plenty of cheap things to do for fun).

• Like 3

4 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

For example O.I.C. is listed at the overall owner of the land but then the individual buildings have different names attached to them.

I've had it described to me as Nashville doesn't allow that size of properties, it wasn't very clear as to why it was like that, anyone who could break it down would be great. 

Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 10.05.45 AM.png

I may be misunderstanding the overall question, but this is my interpretation....

Overall lots are not allowed to be smaller than 50' or 40' for the reasons of building area and access and even public utilities. Depending on alley or street access the FAR (floor to area ratio) of the house will take up more or less of the available land . The reason for the multiple names on the parcel is because of the Horizontal Property Regimes (HPR). The land itself cannot be owned by the individual owners due to the lack of access to the lot if it is too narrow. So the land is technically owned by the Homeowners Association (HOA) that is formed when the formal HPR is created. The structures themselves are then owned by the individual land owners while the land is owned by them jointly (hence the HOA)

I think this is mostly correct, but @bwithers1 I'm sure has a better understanding of how these work though.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, PaulChinetti said:

I’m going out this afternoon and don’t have anything particular in mind, I could do a couple picture requests. 

In the neighborhood....Southgate Station,  The Finery, the developments on Hamilton in the 600 and 700 blocks that are proposed, a shot of city cemetery, and eoutside the neighborhood a  shot of draft set up from Sieganthaler Bridge.

• Like 1

Thanks for the drone pics @PaulChinetti

Those pics will show a remarkable evolution in a really short few years. Had not thought about this until your photos: South Nashville (aka IHo, YouHo, WeALLHos) appears to be ready to change like North of downtown (G'town, S'town, HBV, etc.) did the last 10 years. The beauty is that you guys (both north and south) don't need to go with ALL the rest of the world either West or East. 

• Like 2