Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

That's encouraging. It sounds like they have some knowhow and plan to develop something that fits in with the multicultural character of the area.

The councilperson sounds poorly informed:

“ I don’t think the concept is sustainable over long-term because people don’t want to be inside,” she said. “Overall, I would like to see it torn down and redeveloped fully.”

Gosh, I wonder if Green Hills Mall and the Galleria should be torn down because "people don't want to be inside"!  Outdoor malls exist to lower the rents. The only people that don't want to be inside is the vendors who don't want to pay the higher rents for maintaining the inside. And the idea of tearing down a perfectly fine building of that size is irresponsible on several levels, not least environmentally.

I only wish there was a longer term plan to develop it into a true mixed use project with housing, etc.

• Like 1

I agree that perhaps mall name should go, though.

How about "Global Marketplace at The Crossings." Sounds exotic! lol

I'm still not overly optimistic, but rebranding is a great idea, and changing the concept is an even better idea.

One of the reasons why that mall failed is because for 95% of what it had, you could find elsewhere. When the reputation went south, people just went to those store's other locations. No biggie.

With a different concept and a unique mix of stores, they could draw people again from outside the Antioch area, and give a reason to go there specifically.

I guess we'll get to see how it works out. I, for one, hope they succeed.

That's encouraging. It sounds like they have some knowhow and plan to develop something that fits in with the multicultural character of the area.

The councilperson sounds poorly informed:

“ I don’t think the concept is sustainable over long-term because people don’t want to be inside,” she said. “Overall, I would like to see it torn down and redeveloped fully.”

Gosh, I wonder if Green Hills Mall and the Galleria should be torn down because "people don't want to be inside"!  Outdoor malls exist to lower the rents. The only people that don't want to be inside is the vendors who don't want to pay the higher rents for maintaining the inside. And the idea of tearing down a perfectly fine building of that size is irresponsible on several levels, not least environmentally.

I only wish there was a longer term plan to develop it into a true mixed use project with housing, etc.

Thinking the same...I will be nice and not name call!  Agree 100% with "I only wish there was a longer term plan to develop it into a true mixed use project with housing, etc." !!!

from http://bettercities.net/article/nashville-values-development-rise-form-based-code-19199

A suburban-style McDonald’s just off the city’s main east-west Interstate was heavily damaged in an accidental fire over a year ago, and the owners elected to replace it with a similar structure in conflict with the Downtown Code’s build-to-the-street requirement. The review committee turned down part of the owners’ request for modification, and the dispute will go to the Planning Commission in December. Meanwhile, another fast-food chain has filed plans to build a compliant structure directly across the street – and those 300-plus new apartments are barely two blocks away, strengthening the spread of walkable, urban-scaled development in that area.

What is this new fast food place, does anyone know? Presumably on that little available corner lot.  The area needs a 24 hour bad food shop for the music-addled club patrons.  They are the children of the night.  I'd like them to sober up a bit before they go home.

from http://bettercities.net/article/nashville-values-development-rise-form-based-code-19199

What is this new fast food place, does anyone know? Presumably on that little available corner lot.  The area needs a 24 hour bad food shop for the music-addled club patrons.  They are the children of the night.  I'd like them to sober up a bit before they go home.

That's a very good question...I'm kind of excited to see what it could be now.  And also curious as to how they're going to be designing it to make it code compliant.  Whatever they do could really set the stage for this type of development downtown.

Edited by Nathan_in_PHL

Subway sucks and there are too many of them.

For a fast food sub place, I'd like to see a Firehouse Subs somewhere near downtown. 

They are indeed everywhere! In fact, there's one going in at Velocity...   I'm with you on the Firehouse Subs..   mm mm good  :)

Could be a small office building here or even part of a larger one for DT or Midtown.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2013/01/10/sony-atv-looks-for-additional-space.html

MCC nears 1 million room nights

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2013/1/10/music_city_center_nears_1_million_bookings_goal

• Like 1

This would be a perfect anchor for Eakin to get the office tower portion off the ground at 12th/Demonbreun...

I agree. Music Row is just down the road from there...and that 3 block (equivalent) stretch of Demonbreun already has a music theme to it...from Musica and Roundabout Plaza, the couple of music clubs in that commercial strip, and Rhythm. This would just be continuing the music theme down towards the new MCC and CMHoF.

Plus...the visibility would be excellent. Imagine the Sony/ATV logo atop a shiny new 20+ story sleek glass tower while riding through 40/65 downtown.

• Like 1

Not just those, but the Bohan Building on the opposite corner also houses several music production companies.

Ah, yes, I did forget about that. 

Plus, I'm sure Deja Vu plays music. Hehe.

Philadelphia has this site detailing all current approved, proposed, under construction and recently completed developments.  Anyone here got enough programming skill to put something like this together for Nashville?!  :D

That's more or less like the Nashville project thread in a beautiful spreadsheet. I do like that. Thumbnail pictures and a brief description.

505 CST is a pipe dream at this point. My feeling is that the lot is eventually sold to a developer that can get something built there.

It's going to test our patience. I'm not optimistic that 505 will get built -- but if we get so impatient that we must see something developed, don't be surprised if it's something that isn't so special or unique. When a 15-20 story residential or office tower gets built there, we'll here the groans again about how no developer in Nashville has any balls.

That building design is too spectacular to throw in the towel after what, a little more than a year? While I don't think there is a good chance it will get built, you never know what is going to happen in the future. 5 years from now, we may suddenly find ourselves in big need of office space. The economy could change drastically. The Great Cool Springs Fire might wipe out millions of square feet of office space. Who knew that those surface lots were flammable? And that poor guy from Urban Planet is going to get years in prison for arson (note to FBI -- totally kidding here).

Point is, while it may be a bit of expensive wishful thinking, I don't think I would call it a pipe dream yet. It's one major corporate relocation away from reality. And I do think that because of that particular location -- because Tony wants to see something special there -- that he'll hold on to it for longer than he would anything else, including the SoBro properties.

It's more or less a keystone property for downtown Nashville. 5th and Church. It doesn't get much better. There's plenty more to watch here while we wait.

• Like 1