Nashville Bits and Pieces

smeagolsfree

So is it smart to consolidate , say Franklin into a metro and Lebanon, Murfreesboro etc into metros and no longer have Williamson, Wilson , Rutherford county governments? Or dump the county governments all together and let the cities and towns make up their jurisdictions and have borders with each other? Example: Murfreesboro meets up to Smyrna meets up to Laverne each with their own responsibilities to govern their territories and provide services and schools? It’s really a head scratcher, but a good conversation. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good points, @Luvemtall... I think that if growth is the priority, consolidation is clearly better, as it enables the more cohesive partnership.

If preservation of the status quo is the priority, then having a more fractured government structure feels like an advantage. The folks in Lebanon don't have to let those meddling Mt. Juliet newcomers intrude in their traditional way of life haha.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Here's how many hotels are in the Nashville districts and the surrounding area:

- Nashville Central Business District (CBD)/Downtown 61 hotels with 12,899 rooms

- Nashville West/Midtown 62 hotels with 8,417

- Nashville Davidson County 272 hotels with 38,841

- Nashville MSA 492 hotels with 57,193 rooms

Awesome information! 

I wonder how this compares to all other large US cities? Would be fun to see that ranking. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick Dalton said:

Would seem to be a much needed growth area for Charlotte. I’ve never heard people go there for leisure vacation

The Charlotte area is home to Carowinds, a theme park that boosts over two million visitors per year. Some of those folks must be coming from out of the immediate area. The NASCAR Hall of Fame would draw some out of towners as well, but the city could use more arrows in their quiver when it comes to tourism.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

The Charlotte area is home to Carowinds, a theme park that boosts over two million visitors per year. Some of those folks must be coming from out of the immediate area. The NASCAR Hall of Fame would draw some out of towners as well, but the city could use more arrows in their quiver when it comes to tourism.

Carowinds has been a popular attraction for a long time. I remember seeing ads for it when I was a kid as the Charlotte TV stations would be picked up in area of E TN. It is one of the top amusement parks on the east coast, so they do get a lot of visitors. It is sort of like when Nashville had Opryland and folks came to Nashville to visit Opryland only. All amusement parks draw locals as did Opryland.

It is owned by Cedar Fair as well.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Carowinds has been a popular attraction for a long time. I remember seeing ads for it when I was a kid as the Charlotte TV stations would be picked up in area of E TN. It is one of the top amusement parks on the east coast, so they do get a lot of visitors. It is sort of like when Nashville had Opryland and folks came to Nashville to visit Opryland only. All amusement parks draw locals as did Opryland.

It is owned by Cedar Fair as well.

Even after 5 years living in Knoxville I've never heard of Carowinds! Come to think of it, the only North Carolina theme park I ever heard of was the Tweetsie Railroad... 

• Thanks 1