Carolina Panthers

Regardless what any of us think about any individual player, let's just all agree that being undefeated after six games is a great accomplishment for this (and really any) team and feels pretty awesome for us fans too.  The excitement and energy is palpable on game day, and both Uptown and South End felt like completely different places (in a good way) yesterday afternoon and last night.  I wish Charlotte would always feel so vibrant and alive!  #PanthersNation

• Like 2

I have no problem with someone saying Cam Newton has his flaws as a QB... He certainly does (like accuracy). However, he does so many things that don't show up on a stat sheet that most if not all QBs in the league can't do. To say the Panthers would need a more accurate/reliable QB to have a chance at the Super Bowl is one of the most ridiculous statements I've heard in a while. Without Cam, they aren't 6-0 right now. Not a chance.

Just curious, is it possible that Cam does as well as he does because of the strong people he has on the line? It is my feeling that until Sunday, I have never see a NFL quarterback in the NFL that is  as bad as Newton in regards to actually doing his primary job of throwing the ball. I think that we can keep on winning, but if we get to the Super Bowl, we will need a quarterback lots better than Newton. If we win, it certainly will not be because of a throwing game. And, unfortunately, the hail Mary that sometimes gives a win will never happen with him.  Just my opinion and I am not trolling. I am amazed that we are 6-0 but feel secure that we can give most of the credit to those great 'other' players. Newton just does what he is supposed to do and sometimes not so well. Still just mediocre or just below mediocre IMHO.

Just curious, is it possible that Cam does as well as he does because of the strong people he has on the line? It is my feeling that until Sunday, I have never see a NFL quarterback in the NFL that is  as bad as Newton in regards to actually doing his primary job of throwing the ball. I think that we can keep on winning, but if we get to the Super Bowl, we will need a quarterback lots better than Newton. If we win, it certainly will not be because of a throwing game. And, unfortunately, the hail Mary that sometimes gives a win will never happen with him.  Just my opinion and I am not trolling. I am amazed that we are 6-0 but feel secure that we can give most of the credit to those great 'other' players. Newton just does what he is supposed to do and sometimes not so well. Still just mediocre or just below mediocre IMHO.

this is pure gold

• Like 3

Good god... Seriously, give it up.

• Like 2

The most preposterous thing is saying cam isn't a deep threat. I've seen him out throw Steve Smith and Tedd Ginn. He throws with incredible velocity. That velocity directly relates to distance. Dude has a cannon. He's been rated the 5th strongest arm in the league. 

Wait, aren't we 6 - 0?  Doesn't that require that offense and defense both play well enough to win?  Is it more important to be a CAM fan or a PANTHER fan?  

I'm a Panther fan, hence I'm a Cam fan.  And I get tired of the anti-cam narrative that's been in this town since before we even drafted him.  But clearly there is no changing some people's minds.  We could got 16-0 this year and people would still be calling for Derek Anderson to start.  I give up.

• Like 1

I'm a Panther fan, hence I'm a Cam fan.  And I get tired of the anti-cam narrative that's been in this town since before we even drafted him.  But clearly there is no changing some people's minds.  We could got 16-0 this year and people would still be calling for Derek Anderson to start.  I give up.

100% agree with this... It's beyond frustrating to listen to people still use the same narrative with Cam. The Panthers are 6-0. While it's a team effort and everyone contributes to this record, he's also a large part of why they are where they are. If the Panthers were to win the Super Bowl, these negative "we need a traditional QB" nellies would still find something to moan about. Sorry, you don't need to be Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Joe Montana or Johnny Unitas to be a successful leader of your offense. Some people can't get past that and probably never will. 

• Like 1

just keep doubling down, homie.

its cute

• Like 1

Cam has had a terrible line basically his entire career.

He has also consistently had one of the worst groups of receivers in the league his entire career. 

Need to get out of the mindset that QBs only need to pass the ball (something Cam does well enough anyway). The game is changing and dual purpose QBs are only going to be a bigger part of the game in the future. Cam is a generational talent and nothing short of a joy to watch.

I never meant for my opinion on the discussion of Cam as an NFL MVP candidate to cause such a heated, contentious discussion.  There are obviously lots of passionate and knowledgeable participants in this forum, and it is great that so many of us are so supportive of our team.  I think the vast majority of us would take Cam over most other starting QBs in the NFL, and, as I mentioned before, there is no denying that he is an incredible athlete, an extraordinarily talented football player, and an outstanding team leader.  He is also an excellent role model for kids in Charlotte and beyond and has been a tireless volunteer in our communities from the day he moved here.  I am very glad he is a Panther, but I also want to see him improve on a few things and get even better.

That said, there will almost always be differences of opinion on every subject (which, when respectful, is part of what makes a forum like this great), and I hope we can shift the conversation back to how the Panthers are going to beat the Colts on national television Monday night to go 7-0!

This thread is getting f---ing ridiculous; we have been going back and forth over the Cam thing since October 5th, and now it's devolved into accusing someone who has been a contributing member of UP for years of being a troll and racist. Honestly, this is the type of crap that goes on in City-data.  

The reason they are doing well is because they are a good team that has been doing whatever they need to win games.  Cam plays a big part of that, but so do the receivers, O-line, defense, running backs, etc...Last time I checked, it took 11 people on each side of the ball to play the game.  

The Panthers have only one superstar on the field and he doesn't even play offense, but they have a squad that is good enough to win, and I'll take that any day.  They play with heart, and they play to win.  More importantly they play with class.  They truly are a special squad this year and to attribute all their successes or shortcomings, as the case may be, to one individual is to diminish the contributions of a truly special group that has given the Panthers their first ever 6-0 start.  

We should be relishing the fact that they are 6-0, but instead we are caught up in this petulant argument about Cam Newton.  It was at one point a civil debate, but now it's just a freaking mudslinging fest that is fitting for a group of teenagers, not a bunch of college educated 25+ year-olds.  

Absolutely revolting.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 2

This thread is getting f---ing ridiculous; we have been going back and forth over the Cam thing since October 5th, and now it's devolved into accusing someone who has been a contributing member of UP for years of being a troll and racist. Honestly, this is the type of crap that goes on in City-data.  

The reason they are doing well is because they are a good team that has been doing whatever they need to win games.  Cam plays a big part of that, but so do the receivers, O-line, defense, running backs, etc...Last time I checked, it took 11 people on each side of the ball to play the game.  

The Panthers have only one superstar on the field and he doesn't even play offense, but they have a squad that is good enough to win, and I'll take that any day.  They play with heart, and they play to win.  More importantly they play with class.  They truly are a special squad this year and to attribute all their successes or shortcomings, as the case may be, to one individual is to diminish the contributions of a truly special group that has given the Panthers their first ever 6-0 start.  

We should be relishing the fact that they are 6-0, but instead we are caught up in this petulant argument about Cam Newton.  It was at one point a civil debate, but now it's just a freaking mudslinging fest that is fitting for a group of teenagers, not a bunch of college educated 25+ year-olds.  

Absolutely revolting.

Other than being ardent fans, it seems several UPers  have limited knowledge in regards to the importance of the QB position. Especially knowledgeable fans who have criticized Cam from day one but note a great deal of progress and improvement which have been key in many of those wins. It is absolutely a team game and Luke is the MVP of the defense but undervaluing the QB role is just plain short sighted and comes across as a fair weather fan position.  Many of us are Cam's biggest critics but give credit to where credit is due, dude has come a long way regardless of stats.   And it is frustrating when people with a novice or vague analysis of the NFL game attempt to categorize what he is doing as mediocre. Jus t because one might understand building codes, etc, doesn't translate to football knowledge....this isn't a sports forum. 

Which probably makes our vehement responses no better than a person with a novice study of the game.  You don't know what you don't know but allowed to an opinion.

Edited by Durhamite

Name 16 quarterbacks that are better than Newton.

Without Cam, the Panthers wouldn't be where we are today, he is a beast of an athlete and incredibly talented QB.  I'm glad he is our franchise QB and cant wait to see what the future holds for our team.  On another note at least this weekend if whomever controls the lights on duke energy decides to put the opposing teams colors again it'll at least be blue this week?!?!?  Also the photo-shopped skyline behind the SNF commentators drove me insane.  GO PANTHERS!!!!

DSC03438.JPG

Without Cam, the Panthers wouldn't be where we are today, he is a beast of an athlete and incredibly talented QB.  I'm glad he is our franchise QB and cant wait to see what the future holds for our team.  On another note at least this weekend if whomever controls the lights on duke energy decides to put the opposing teams colors again it'll at least be blue this week?!?!?  Also the photo-shopped skyline behind the SNF commentators drove me insane.  GO PANTHERS!!!!

DSC03438.JPG

It was definitely blue on Sunday night. My living room window looks right at DEC. Was Panther blue all night.

On Twitter the account for the reason behind the DEC lighting stated that apparently the overhead shots were taken Friday when they were lit up green for Myers Park High School

Edit:  https://twitter.com/WFLightsCLT/status/658466984791777280.

Well that's good, sounds like NBC just dropped the ball in relation to actually show casing the city correctly...