Carolina Panthers

The thing that really gets under my skin is that it shouldn't have been that ugly. Our defense was dominating last night, but that last quarter was just embarrassing. And all night the commentating had nothing but praise for Carolina's passion/heart and punishing style of play and then that last 15 minutes of regulation came along. Hard to watch, but a win is a win. A W surely won't be in the cards if we play anything like that next week.

Weather obviously played a huge factor for a majority of the game with the offenses. Both Cam and Luck had problems with holding on to the ball. Loved the old school running that the Panthers had going for a good part of the game. Though I'm with go_vertical on the defense. I don't like the way McDermott called the 4th quarter. Obviously our front 4 was completely gassed. You have no pass rush and Luck or most any decent QB will pick you apart. The only time the D stopped them was when they brought the blitz. Should have seen more of that. I never like blaming officials for determining the outcome of the game because you should never put yourself in a position to where a bad call can cost you a win. But, there were several instances where some bad calls (or no calls) happened in the 4th: 1) Andre Johnson's push off in the endzone for the TD. I've seen more blatent, but certainly could have been called 2) Whalen's catch on 4th down on the final drive of regulation. Should have been called incomplete as it hit the ground. The replay official in the broadcast booth even said he could have called it incomplete. Game would have been over at that point. 3) Fleener's catch in the red zone it was ruled he got out of bounds to stop the clock. He was clearly down in bounds (MNF crew even said it was an awful call) and Colts probably never would have gotten off the extra plays before FG attempt. ... Panthers certainly had their mistakes too but man it seemed like they weren't getting the benefit of any calls in crunch time.. Heck, Ted Ginn should have caught that ball in OT for the game winning TD. Certainly a "WTF" moment. Glad this team is 7-0 now though... And kudos to the fans for bringing it last night despite the monsoon like conditions. On to Green Bay!

Edited by HopHead
  • Like 1

Definitely a huge kudos to the fans. Full stadium for the national audience the entire game despite the conditions (and a stupid protest)! 

But yes, it was ugly, the end of the 4th was down right pathetic. You deserve to lose blowing a 17 point lead against a team that looked like garbage for the first 3.5 quarters. But they grinded out the win and really weren't exposed. The defense was done due to the weather and lack of time the offense was on the field. It's not as if Indy found a weakness and exploited it. I really wish they would make a play for a WR today. They have picks to give up. 

My wife and I will be there too, I never really go with a plan just a six pack and walk into the most public-looking tailgating lot I see. All the ones I used to head to are now construction sites though!

I usually find myself at Craft whenever I come down for games. I always park in that general vicinity. I really wish Wooden Robot would open at noon for the game.

I usually find myself at Craft whenever I come down for games. I always park in that general vicinity. I really wish Wooden Robot would open at noon for the game.

Reach out to the Roaring Riot guys.  When they came out to soccer games this year they seemed like a fun group.

https://twitter.com/roaringriot

Reach out to the Roaring Riot guys.  When they came out to soccer games this year they seemed like a fun group.

https://twitter.com/roaringriot

I'm a member of Big Apple Riot. Its nice to have a Bar in NYC to go to :-). Imagine 150 Panthers Jerseys milling about in the West Village. Its pretty awesome. But good Idea. I'll see what they are planning.

I'm a member of Big Apple Riot. Its nice to have a Bar in NYC to go to :-). Imagine 150 Panthers Jerseys milling about in the West Village. Its pretty awesome. But good Idea. I'll see what they are planning.

Roaring Riot will have NoDa on tap, so there's that.  Speaking of which, by superstition I always drink #cltbeer while watching the game.  I was in St Pete Monday so I had to buy some Hop Drop at the airport and take it with me.  9 effing bucks a can.  That's dedication to your team.

The most preposterous thing is saying cam isn't a deep threat. I've seen him out throw Steve Smith and Tedd Ginn. He throws with incredible velocity. That velocity directly relates to distance. Dude has a cannon. He's been rated the 5th strongest arm in the league. 

That explains his ability to overthrow 80 percent of his passes over30 yards. As soon as I see him preparing to throw that long one, I think, "Oh crap, will it be way over thrown or intercepted."  But as mentioned earlier, it doesn't matter with all of the other players and his occasional good long pass, getting an occasional first down and even a touchdown if he is at goal.  And he does throw a fast ball. Unfortunately, it is often so fast that it can't be caught. Things are working so far as they are, so I am happy despite. I just really want to see us beat Green Bay.

This team honestly deserved a loss in that game after our 4th quarter performace.  I was at that game and I saw them fall apart.  The blame can't completely be put on the defense, the awful special teams, or even the terrible play calling.  The offense gave the ball back too easily in the clutch.  I understand running out the clock... but they didn't.  Incomplete passes when you should just be running the ball are inexcusable.  But I can't complain considering we have the 4th highest scoring offense (27.3pts per game) in the NFL right now.  And that's with a torn up O-line and no clear go-to WR.  Ricky Proehl needs to work with these guys more to actually catch those rockets that Cam puts in there sometimes.

I really am about 90% sure the refs wanted the Panthers to lose.  I mean, even after watching that obvious incomplete pass in the review booth, how can you not believe that?  That was irrefutable evidence.

The Panthers playing prevent-style defense doesn't really work out in their favor unless they force the turnover (which is what they FINALLY did in OT.)  It's way too easy to pick apart 10-15 yard passing plays one after the next if the defense is playing deep zone coverage on every down.  After the Colts scored so easily on the first comeback drive, the Panthers should've altered the game plan.

But that's the Panthers, keeping around teams in the fourth quarter just for the rush.

In other news, the Panthers, Falcons, and Bucs already all have as many as or more wins than they did last season.  We're only 8 weeks in.  The Bucs are tied for 16th, the Saints are 12th, the Falcons are 7th, and the Panthers are tied for 1st.  Who could have predicted that the NFC South would be at that position after not having a single team above 18th in the league (in terms of W-L record) last season? 

Color me cautiously optimistic now.

That explains his ability to overthrow 80 percent of his passes over30 yards. As soon as I see him preparing to throw that long one, I think, "Oh crap, will it be way over thrown or intercepted."  But as mentioned earlier, it doesn't matter with all of the other players and his occasional good long pass, getting an occasional first down and even a touchdown if he is at goal.  And he does throw a fast ball. Unfortunately, it is often so fast that it can't be caught. Things are working so far as they are, so I am happy despite. I just really want to see us beat Green Bay.

Like the perfect deep ball  Ginn dropped in OT or the one dropped by Olsen. etc.  You sound like a parent being overly critical of their child and will never see what the poor kid is doing right.  As for the deep ball on most of those routes, the receiver isn't open, he's overthrowing on purpose to make sure that the only player with a chance of catching the ball is a Panther receiver.  He was doing that on the ball that got intercepted but conditions were so wet he couldn't muster up the distance. 

Your novice perspective and analysis on Cam and football in general is rather alarming.  Cam does have a tendency to overthrow at times but some of it's due to pressure (the other team does play defense) and literally from exhaustion in my opinion, he's asked to run the ball quite a bit and that is a major problem.  He can't keep this up, if so I'd be surprised.  They have some developing options on offense but most haven't matured  enough to support the QB, J Stew is a banger and reliable, hopefully he maintains as well..  I hate to make predictions but Cam is gonna run out of gas, so numbers will drop and the Panthers will do a nose dive soon, losing 3-4 games.  The defense simply isn't getting enough pressure on opposing QBs and without a consistently reliable offense or options aside from Newton, it'll be very difficult to pull out those close games.   Hopefully I am wrong but Cam can't be expected to take that type of punishment and also excel at the QB position, gotta take a toll on the body.

Edited by Durhamite
  • Like 3

Cardiac Cats...

I was screaming that at the screen last week and was pretty close to doing the same today until it was clear that they were holding it together a little better. They are very aware they are fizzling out before these games are over and Cam briefly spoke about that in his post-game interview.

It's also good to hear that overall confidence in this team's skills and abilities is taking hold with people. The Panthers are no longer that team that other programs gloss over anymore. Personally I could care less if people respect us. I like being the team that plays with a huge chip on its shoulders.

@JAX, HOU, NO, @TB - Hopefully NO and TB still suck.  Hope CAR doesn't think JAX will be a cakewalk in week 1 -- a loss there to start the season would be very disappointing.  Get 4 wins.

@SEA, PHI (sun night), IND (mon night), GB - Yikes.  Thank god 3 of these are at home.  I believe this is the year CAR vanquishes SEA, much like the Bulls finally beating the Pistons.  But I'm not sure if it will be in the regular season or in the playoffs. 

@TEN, WAS, @DAL (t-giving), @NO - Don't mess around and lose to TEN or WAS.  DAL and NO will be tough on the road, even if NO still sucks.

ATL, @NYG, @ATL, TB - Hope ATL and TB still suck.  Suck it up and get a cold win Dec 20 at NYG.

Quoting myself, now through 2 quarters of the season.

The first quarter went perfectly.

Looking at the 2nd quarter was really frightening pre-season.  Some of those teams maybe aren't as strong as the past, but getting 4 wins this stretch was awesome, obviously.

To be sitting 8-0 is just incredible, regardless of the opponents.

Okay, so now the next quarter.  @TEN and WAS look like favorable matchups on paper.  The Panthers need to stay focused and not look past them.  Win the "easy" ones, no matter what.  @DAL and @NO are WAY tougher than their current records indicate.  Romo will presumably be back for @DAL, and on a short week that will be a real challenge.  NO is looking much better, and they were absolutely steamrolling for their last 1.5 games until the second half yesterday.  

19-0.  Stay healthy.

The teams that they play in the next 8 games all have a worse record than the Panthers.  If they can keep it together, we could see a 16-0.  That is a long shot. In the real world they may lose 1 or 2 games, but 16-0 sounds better.

They have the longest regular season wining record in the NFL from last year.  All they have to do now is win all play off games.