Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

1 hour ago, nite owℓ said:

I'm not saying the void needs to be replaced with more doors (doors already exist in that corner) -- just windows at street level is all. If they're going to put a building on the corner of a moderate to high-traffic intersection, transparency comes first and the onus is on the tenant to figure out how to work with the building's layout. "We can't have windows because of the juice bar/deli" is a poor excuse to defy basic streetscape tenets.

On the other hand, given all the hoops businesses already have to jump through in order to open, throwing yet another one at them is a good way to discourage tenancy. If a business has a particular floor plan layout they prefer to follow, there's no law that says they have to locate in a building that doesn't allow for it. There's nothing stopping them from going somewhere else. Then the developer is in the position of having to start all over again, to try to find another tenant.  For all we know, Earth Fare may have said that a large window there was a deal breaker.

All I'm saying is that things are more complicated than just telling tenants they have to have a large window in a spot whether they like it or not just to satisfy some local design recommendation.

Lining up a major tenant is probably costly, time consuming and generally not easy. Hence, the need for a certain amount of compromise.

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nite owℓ said:

I'm not saying the void needs to be replaced with more doors (doors already exist in that corner) -- just windows at street level is all. If they're going to put a building on the corner of a moderate to high-traffic intersection, transparency comes first and the onus is on the tenant to figure out how to work with the building's layout. "We can't have windows because of the juice bar/deli" is a poor excuse to defy basic streetscape tenets.

I agree in theory, but in practice it often looks like the Stasio's window on Bumby which is the back side of a work table, lots of staff drink cups, stacked boxes and everything else they need to stuff in a corner.

In the case of Novel at Gore and Orange there is glass at the corner, as you pointed out. I like the idea of using the area in question as a highlight space for art, waterfall, plants, etc. I don't like the current look which is just signage and I even more dislike the signs in the glass windows along Orange.

2 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I agree in theory, but in practice it often looks like the Stasio's window on Bumby which is the back side of a work table, lots of staff drink cups, stacked boxes and everything else they need to stuff in a corner.

In the case of Novel at Gore and Orange there is glass at the corner, as you pointed out. I like the idea of using the area in question as a highlight space for art, waterfall, plants, etc. I don't like the current look which is just signage and I even more dislike the signs in the glass windows along Orange.

There might even be large pieces of restaurant/food service equipment along that wall, like coolers, ovens, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ragerunner said:

The winning Pulse design team was announced this morning. Final design work will now begin. This is a big day for the OnePulseFoundation, families, the SODO District and the City of Orlando.

Coldefy and RDAI are out of Paris and HHCP is from Orlando.

48837684047_0e09d85967_b.jpg

48837134718_42e2198a61_b.jpg

Figures they'd choose the gaudiest, tackiest looking entry.

Hope they included enough funding for the laser light show, roller coaster, gift/t-shirt shop and revolving restaurant. <_<

• Sad 1

I've been several times and for the most part I'd agree with the review. The redo of the space came out really well and the staff is good, particularly by downtown standards. Joseph seems to like the food more than we did- the menu definitely lacks cohesive direction. That squid pasta dish was really good, but the shrimp and grits is overly goopy, the cauliflower app is soggy and the flatbreads are meh. I haven't tried a burger of sandwiches yet, but friends have told me they're good.

If you like the food from Santiago's this is on par.

1 hour ago, AmIReal said:

I've been several times and for the most part I'd agree with the review. The redo of the space came out really well and the staff is good, particularly by downtown standards. Joseph seems to like the food more than we did- the menu definitely lacks cohesive direction. That squid pasta dish was really good, but the shrimp and grits is overly goopy, the cauliflower app is soggy and the flatbreads are meh. I haven't tried a burger of sandwiches yet, but friends have told me they're good.

I'm sure I'll  see it as I drive past it on my way somewhere else, many times over the next few years.

2 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I may have been a little harsh. It is definitely worth checking out and it is a huge improvement over everything else in the neighborhood. They just need to tighten up the menu and improve the kitchen skills. The concept is good- execution will improve.

Go. Try it for yourself.