Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

On 8/21/2019 at 10:46 AM, nite owℓ said:

Well, what's the tea? Why has the building remained in a partially demolished state for the past year??

Part fact, part rumor and part conjecture- so this post falls in the FWIW category.

The Foxtail/ Mama Bs site has long been rumored to be dirty due to its past life as a gas station. Rumors have swirled re: partially filled gas/ oil tank/ hazardous waste buried beneath.

I finally got around to looking at the City Brownfield Sites info (this one is called Former Chevron Brownfield Site). Side note, looking at the Orlando list I chuckled at some included on the list such as the apartments at Steelhouse and 400 N. Orange, DPAC, the Soccer Stadium, etc and wondered if this was just an interesting way to give developers money... Anyway, the City site is semi-useless, so I went to the State geo map and was able to drill down to the location.

Yes, the site has been deemed a brownfield. No, there are no tanks left onsite. Yes, Upshot (Foxtail) paid to have everything tested and yes there is a "slightly" high amount of a particular unwarted substance, but no it does not extend beyond 20 feet of the test well and is not a hazard. 

I noted the engineering study recommended soil remediation, but that was not required to be compliant and Upshot has received verification of compliance and capped the test wells.

Although this was all completed and approved in December of 2018 the City did not issue the Tax Credit Certificate for $34k+ until late July 2019.

I've heard rumors about Upshot arguing for more money from the City or maybe being over their head in construction (they've never under taken a project this complex). I dunno, but I do know they have only had a clean (approved) property for about 6 months and have the Tax Credit approved for 1 month. Maybe they are ready to re-engage, maybe not.

I noticed Delaney Tavern had a fancy-pants coffee maker- maybe I'll try that.

https://www.orlando.gov/Our-Government/Records-and-Documents/Plans-Studies

https://ca.dep.state.fl.us/mapdirect/

I just thought if this and should add that this property was outside of the Orlando Economic Enhancement District and that may have been the  bone of contention between the City and Upshot. It was subsequently added to the district.

Edited by AmIReal
  • Like 1

I haven’t been in the market for a new apartment for almost 18 years so I’m clueless about such things but my Google news feed keeps posting ads for 2 free months rent at Novel Lucerne.

I’m curious if:

• This is just some gimmick that isn’t real;

• This is currently a standard incentive for downtownish apartments;

• This complex is facing occupancy challenges more so than other locations.

While I like the building a lot, I’m not a fan of the location (not to mention the lack of trees). I know I’m often out of synch with millennials on such things and it made me wonder.

With that said, for years the gimmick was basically no deposit and generally a rent "concession" equal to a free month.  So not really out of line.  With that said, I know Lofts at SoDo have been raising prices even though they're now a decade old, and with the new development at Lucky's coming online soon, may just be a pre-emptive strike to capture the southern market at a place that would otherwise get overlooked (fair or not, it's equidistant to 0/0 Orange/Central as Nora and the other new North Quarter apartments, but Lake Lucerne and the 408 are still considered major barriers, moreso than Colonial.  At least anecdotally to the people I've spoken with).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AndyPok1 said:

but Lake Lucerne and the 408 are still considered major barriers, moreso than Colonial. 

Exactly.  I wish that could somehow be fixed.  The City did a decent job putting in wide, landscaped sidewalks along Orange in this area but it hasn't been updated for probably twenty years.  I don't see folks use it too often and it's pretty popular for the homeless.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, gibby said:

Exactly.  I wish that could somehow be fixed.  The City did a decent job putting in wide, landscaped sidewalks along Orange in this area but it hasn't been updated for probably twenty years.  I don't see folks use it too often and it's pretty popular for the homeless.

The 408 can’t. be fixed so the goal should be to cover it up as much as possible.   Literally with buildings or facade or with art/landscaping.

Lucerne, on the other hand, could be activated.  Elaborate fountains, interactive art, things that will make people wish they were walking by and not driving.

23 hours ago, gibby said:

The SODO NID is investing in a gateway project - I've heard rumor of a large public art component and enhanced streetscape for the Sylvia Lane connection - with the hope of attracting a major development for Mears property.  I think  getting good density in the northern end of SODO is the only thing that'll truly make the connection. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jernigan said:

The 408 can’t. be fixed so the goal should be to cover it up as much as possible.   Literally with buildings or facade or with art/landscaping.

Lucerne, on the other hand, could be activated.  Elaborate fountains, interactive art, things that will make people wish they were walking by and not driving.

While I agree about softening the appearance of the 408 underpass with art and lighting, etc., I'm not sure how much you could do to the area around Lake Lucerne without the risk of making it look tacky. I think the lake itself is an attraction, but I have my doubts as to whether adding things like public art, more lighting and additional fountains to the ones that are already on each side of Orange Ave, would cause people to want to come and walk around there.

What would the reason be? Where would they be walking to and from? 

I've done the walk from Beardall to both the County Admin Bldg and the Driver's License office several times and I can tell you, in the summer time, NOTHING would make most people want to walk around out there. Blistering heat, cars zooming past, noise, exhaust fumes, concrete, homeless people sleeping. 

I agree that they could certainly stand to spruce it up a bit, maybe put in some more greenery and more benches, but spending major amounts of money to try to get people to hang out and spend time there would, IMO, be wasted.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

There’s an irony that the old access from Delaney to Rosalind when it went through was infinitely more pedestrian-friendly than the much-touted Southern Gateway Mayor Bill spent millions on.

OTOH, Mayor Bill was all about cars - people walking around (and using transit) were never a priority of his

I remember that old configuration. Don't know how much foot traffic would be generated there if it were still like that today, though.

On 9/4/2019 at 10:18 AM, smileguy said:

The SODO NID is investing in a gateway project - I've heard rumor of a large public art component and enhanced streetscape for the Sylvia Lane connection - with the hope of attracting a major development for Mears property. 

Both of these thoughts are very interesting. So you're talking about public art and streetscape at the new Sylvia extension- between Anderson and America. I had not heard of that, but as someone who may use that route I'd welcome it.

I'd really like to see something big on the Mears let. I don't suppose you've heard rumors of what type project they might be trying to attract...?

On 9/4/2019 at 10:18 AM, smileguy said:

The SODO NID is investing in a gateway project - I've heard rumor of a large public art component and enhanced streetscape for the Sylvia Lane connection - with the hope of attracting a major development for Mears property.  I think  getting good density in the northern end of SODO is the only thing that'll truly make the connection. 

59 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Both of these thoughts are very interesting. So you're talking about public art and streetscape at the new Sylvia extension- between Anderson and America. I had not heard of that, but as someone who may use that route I'd welcome it.

I'd really like to see something big on the Mears let. I don't suppose you've heard rumors of what type project they might be trying to attract...?

Is the Mears property vacant?

Did they move or go out of business?

1 minute ago, JFW657 said:

So why is their property available for development?

And is "Meats" a typo or sarcasm?

Oops - the hazard of typing on an iPhone with big fingers.

I know Mears was planning on moving before Uber came along (they also have the old Borden’s Dairy space on West Gore). I had not heard that was back in play but AmIReal and others apparently know otherwise.

1 minute ago, spenser1058 said:

AmIReal and others apparently know otherwise.

No, I was following up on smileguy's comment about the property. I know Mears moved the HQ to W. Gore and last year they talked about giving up what is essentially the parking lot at Gore and Division. I've not heard anything from them since the acquisition.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AmIReal said:

No, I was following up on smileguy's comment about the property. I know Mears moved the HQ to W. Gore and last year they talked about giving up what is essentially the parking lot at Gore and Division. I've not heard anything from them since the acquisition.

I think it's more of a long-term plan - with the value of that land going up as it relates to its use - both in the OZ and almost adjacent the core, it's going to be redeveloped sooner or later, and the City wants to make sure it - along with property along Division - is attractive to investors looking for a site. I don't know anything about a specific project. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Townhome update from Mark at Daily City:

https://www.thedailycity.com/post/sodo-townhomes-in-the-works

Just finally reporting what was reported here on July 23 ;)

But here’s what’s new: 

1221 S Orange - Master Plan request for 118 units called Lake Copeland Apartments 

• Like 2