Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

Last time I was there, I paid $5 for a 90°, right-angle, push-on video cable connector....

312GCAQlGhL._AC_SY580_.jpg

Got it home and it didn't work.

Looked at it closer and saw that it didn't have the little pin in the center of the female portion. 

I can't remember why, but for some reason I couldn't take it back.

Lost receipt, maybe.

Whatever the reason. I never went back.  

On 11/17/2022 at 3:32 PM, spenser1058 said:

It’s the end of an era. OC’s first Radio Shack will soon be its last:

From Bungalower 

Sad, it was my Radio Shack for years, but sort of cool about the time circle of its existence. Mind you my partner was the techie in the household so I would show up there by myself with something written on a Post-It and give it to them. It usually worked out. 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 11:41 AM, JFW657 said:

Last time I was there, I paid $5 for a 90°, right-angle, push-on video cable connector....

312GCAQlGhL._AC_SY580_.jpg

Got it home and it didn't work.

Looked at it closer and saw that it didn't have the little pin in the center of the female portion. 

I can't remember why, but for some reason I couldn't take it back.

Lost receipt, maybe.

Whatever the reason. I never went back.  

I thought this was BNC for a moment and was VERY confused what in the world you would have needed that for.

59 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

I thought this was BNC for a moment and was VERY confused what in the world you would have needed that for.

The one in the above pic ^^^ was for my TV.

The quick connect so I can pop it on and off quickly and the right angle bend so I can push the TV closer to the wall.

I do have something that uses a BNC connector, though.

The rubber antenna for a (Radio Shack btw) handheld scanner connects with one...

BATG0481001-1024x.png 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2022 at 9:55 PM, codypet said:

Perhaps someone can confirm if my memory is correct, but I seem to remember this Radio Shack moved to this location in the late 90's and that the previous location was up the road across the street in the buildings that used to be here:

image.thumb.png.443b42b01c8b686567083d9f86febdf5.png

https://goo.gl/maps/hyaFcgqtZLL4hPXr5

It's been so long I don't even remember what was there. Were the building(s) worth saving architectural-wise? Even if left vacant, I imagine the streetscape would've looked much nicer than this eyesore.

4 hours ago, codypet said:

IIRC they were about in the shape that the block to the south is.  I don't remember them being much more than 1 story 50's style businesses.  Something akin to United Trophy on N Orange.  

You are correct about that.

Totally non-descript, one story strip center.

Matte finish, aluminum mullions between plate glass window storefronts. 

I think there was a uniform supply place there and/or maybe a dry cleaners.

Possibly (and likely given its proximity to ORMC) a medical equipment supply place too.

I'm thinking like three, maybe four businesses. 

• Like 2

On 11/23/2022 at 3:12 PM, JFW657 said:

You are correct about that.

Totally non-descript, one story strip center.

Matte finish, aluminum mullions between plate glass window storefronts. 

I think there was a uniform supply place there and/or maybe a dry cleaners.

Possibly (and likely given its proximity to ORMC) a medical equipment supply place too.

I'm thinking like three, maybe four businesses. 

I'm surprised you didn't pull out a historic photo of the strip from your archives ;)

South Orange Ave has come a long way. It used to have such a depressing, foreboding vibe to me back in the day.

• Like 1

Anyone have some background on this?  I assume this is the former home of Fire Station #5?  Architecturally it looks like the former Station #3 (relocated, now the Fire Museum).  Since 4 & 5 are constructed similarly (in what I presume is the 60's)  Station #4 in 1955 so I assume Station #5 about the same time, where was the former home of Station #4?

https://cornerstonehospice.org/OHH/

image.png.ea0bb39e08384895b91b00afb2b7ba26.png

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jgardnerucf said:

Wags!

I never ate there, but I remember it from waaayyyy back when.

In the early 80's one of my college roommates went out drinking with his two brothers, one night, one of whom drove over from Pinellas Park for the occasion. Might have been one of their birthdays or something. Whatever. Anyway, they stopped at Wags on the way home for an early morning (like 2am-ish) breakfast, and in the middle of their meal, my roommate barfed right into his plate.

According to the later accounts, the two brothers didn't say a word and just kept on eating as if nothing happened. 

I pity the waitress who had to carry it back to the kitchen and dump it in the trash. 

Glad I wasn't invited along for that one.  

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

I never ate there, but I remember it from waaayyyy back when.

In the early 80's one of my college roommates went out drinking with his two brothers, one night, one of whom drove over from Pinellas Park for the occasion. Might have been one of their birthdays or something. Whatever. Anyway, they stopped at Wags on the way home for an early morning (like 2am-ish) breakfast, and in the middle of their meal, my roommate barfed right into his plate.

According to the later accounts, the two brothers didn't say a word and just kept on eating as if nothing happened. 

I pity the waitress who had to carry it back to the kitchen and dump it in the trash. 

Glad I wasn't invited along for that one.  

Ooof....I hope they tipped well!

On 1/22/2023 at 12:26 AM, AndyPok1 said:

I only noticed this in the past week, but the old TD Bank on Delaney that moved to Page/Orange has been absorbed by Family Medical Center which is right behind it.

Yay/Boo I guess?

I think we would have all preferred that it was absorbed by Freshfields Farms in front of it.

• Like 1

Medical office building update at W Muriel St & S Orange Ave:

20230121_101302.thumb.jpg.3cd8e5269d01e89f597e6db33b32f604.jpg

Hopefully they go with the restaurant/retail concept instead of keeping it strictly medical.

The first floor is intended as retail or restaurant use, though it could also become a more public-facing medical concept.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2022/06/29/downtown-orlando-spec-medical-office-retail-constr.html