Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

There's been several water lines that have failed under Orange, including a big one in front of FoxTail that had Orange closed for an extended period of time.  Seems like any City project on the surface now a days is getting delays because OUC has a water line that needs immediate replacement.  In some cases, like Bumby 5 years ago, its all the infrastructure that needed a rework.

• 1 month later...

I'm only posting this since there's not a whole lot of development going on (I imagine we'll be in another development slump for a long time, but I digress).

New homes on the way in Sodo/Wadeview Park on Page St (near TD Bank). Old homes razed and lots have been cleared for a while with no activity, so I thought construction would get put on hold during the housing slowdown... But it looks like they are going ahead as planned.

Builder is David Weekly and per the booklet on page 11, six homes are planned for the area. Not sure if they are building homes one by one or as they sell. Asking price ~ $1M, so get your checkbooks ready! 😜

https://simplebooklet.com/orlandocentralliving#page=11

9e62c79f16939488a15c4346b7e729f4-cc_ft_768.webp.12275bc62cb281f221c258e63b45da51.webp

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/201-Page-St-Orlando-FL-32806/46034661_zpid/

20230926_100231.jpg

20230926_100050.jpg

• Like 1

I'm beyond saddened by these and I have to drive/walk by them every day.  I wanted two of those lots for my forever home (and ideally get them re-re-zoned for townhomes), but with the boom in the past year or two, the kids that inherited those lots from their parents when they passed a few years back were able to get over $2M for the combination of them... now an investor is building 6 more generic homes, so yet more profit with no benefit to locals.

On 9/30/2023 at 5:09 PM, AndyPok1 said:

I'm beyond saddened by these and I have to drive/walk by them every day.  I wanted two of those lots for my forever home (and ideally get them re-re-zoned for townhomes), but with the boom in the past year or two, the kids that inherited those lots from their parents when they passed a few years back were able to get over $2M for the combination of them... now an investor is building 6 more generic homes, so yet more profit with no benefit to locals.

Wow, lucky them! $2M seems like a huge get for that area. Even though you lost out on the opportunity, the good news is the homes will most likely be purchased by owner-occupants vs a REIT/institutional investor who will fill it with yet another renter paying overpriced rent to a landlord who doesn't maintain the yard/building properly.

IMO, rezoning single family to multifamily is not appropriate... people buy in certain areas to avoid that. I'm not even in support of ADU's in areas with R-1 zoning because it's like a sneaky way to skirt zoning laws and shoehorn multifamily residences in areas that weren't zoned for that (for various reasons). And it undermines people who abide by the rules to specifically purchase R-2/multifamily lots. Why bother buying R-2 anymore when you can just convert an R-1 into multifamily?? But this is the world we live in now... twist existing city ordinances, laws, etc. to accommodate greedy desires, while disregarding the neighborhood's character. Same goes for the people who buy into HOA communities, but purposefully disregard the rules they agreed to (and later claim HOAs are the devil).

BTW, that last bit wasn't directed at you Andy, I'm just venting as one of the suckers who purchased an R-2 lot before all of this ADU madness started to take off.

On 9/30/2023 at 5:09 PM, AndyPok1 said:

The three homes that were there were so run down, I thought leather face might jump out. Big improvement. 

I wonder if sidewalks will be added. 

10 minutes ago, jack said:

The three homes that were there were so run down, I thought leather face might jump out. Big improvement. 

I wonder if sidewalks will be added. 

I believe per code they have to be.  Doesn't mean they'll make a lick of  sense. 

image.thumb.png.4cdbf17b534e33b3e9a53276c325e3ea.png

image.thumb.png.0b82f8b183b797db1f1e4da4fc756258.png

image.thumb.png.275cb257e2dc3d4772906810d5ab1a8d.png

This sidewalk in the Como neighborhood technically exists, and I would have forgiven them if they had at least built a ramp at the intersection, but there was no thought given at all to it.  

18 hours ago, codypet said:

I believe per code they have to be.  Doesn't mean they'll make a lick of  sense. 

image.thumb.png.4cdbf17b534e33b3e9a53276c325e3ea.png

image.thumb.png.0b82f8b183b797db1f1e4da4fc756258.png

image.thumb.png.275cb257e2dc3d4772906810d5ab1a8d.png

This sidewalk in the Como neighborhood technically exists, and I would have forgiven them if they had at least built a ramp at the intersection, but there was no thought given at all to it.  

That street has sidewalks in front of the three homes across the street that were built 5 years ago. 

On 9/30/2023 at 11:42 AM, nite owℓ said:

I'm only posting this since there's not a whole lot of development going on (I imagine we'll be in another development slump for a long time, but I digress).

New homes on the way in Sodo/Wadeview Park on Page St (near TD Bank). Old homes razed and lots have been cleared for a while with no activity, so I thought construction would get put on hold during the housing slowdown... But it looks like they are going ahead as planned.

Builder is David Weekly and per the booklet on page 11, six homes are planned for the area. Not sure if they are building homes one by one or as they sell. Asking price ~ $1M, so get your checkbooks ready! 😜

https://simplebooklet.com/orlandocentralliving#page=11

9e62c79f16939488a15c4346b7e729f4-cc_ft_768.webp.12275bc62cb281f221c258e63b45da51.webp

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/201-Page-St-Orlando-FL-32806/46034661_zpid/

20230926_100231.jpg

20230926_100050.jpg

I've wondered what is going on with the one property that wasn't razed yet. Seems like that owner is a holdout while they build everything else around it?

On 10/2/2023 at 8:14 AM, nite owℓ said:

Wow, lucky them! $2M seems like a huge get for that area. Even though you lost out on the opportunity, the good news is the homes will most likely be purchased by owner-occupants vs a REIT/institutional investor who will fill it with yet another renter paying overpriced rent to a landlord who doesn't maintain the yard/building properly.

IMO, rezoning single family to multifamily is not appropriate... people buy in certain areas to avoid that. I'm not even in support of ADU's in areas with R-1 zoning because it's like a sneaky way to skirt zoning laws and shoehorn multifamily residences in areas that weren't zoned for that (for various reasons). And it undermines people who abide by the rules to specifically purchase R-2/multifamily lots. Why bother buying R-2 anymore when you can just convert an R-1 into multifamily?? But this is the world we live in now... twist existing city ordinances, laws, etc. to accommodate greedy desires, while disregarding the neighborhood's character. Same goes for the people who buy into HOA communities, but purposefully disregard the rules they agreed to (and later claim HOAs are the devil).

BTW, that last bit wasn't directed at you Andy, I'm just venting as one of the suckers who purchased an R-2 lot before all of this ADU madness started to take off.

You're more of an optimist than I.  Over 50% of these single 3000 sqft take up the full lot with the house homes that have been built in the neighborhood since I've moved in have all gone up for resale practically exactly at the 2 year mark.

And yeah, I SWEAR it used to be R-2.  Because when I bought on Jersey, one of the pro-cons is that weirdly even though its the closest to Michigan, it was the only R-1 in the neighborhood.  But then when I looked it up again last year Page and others were R-1.  I started trying to track down the various zoning changes to see if I was crazy, but then I got lazy.

Also, part of the reason I'm so annoyed about it is I did WAY too deep of a dive into the owners.  Dude and his wife moved here from New York and worked a govt job and just managed to own basically the entirety of Page St.  As @jack mentioned, did not maintain them at all.  And then when they passed away they got buried back in New York.  Like you lived here for over 40 years but clearly didn't feel like it was home.  While its not as bad as Institutional Investor, its not much better.

21 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

You're more of an optimist than I.  Over 50% of these single 3000 sqft take up the full lot with the house homes that have been built in the neighborhood since I've moved in have all gone up for resale practically exactly at the 2 year mark.

And yeah, I SWEAR it used to be R-2.  Because when I bought on Jersey, one of the pro-cons is that weirdly even though its the closest to Michigan, it was the only R-1 in the neighborhood.  But then when I looked it up again last year Page and others were R-1.  I started trying to track down the various zoning changes to see if I was crazy, but then I got lazy.

Also, part of the reason I'm so annoyed about it is I did WAY too deep of a dive into the owners.  Dude and his wife moved here from New York and worked a govt job and just managed to own basically the entirety of Page St.  As @jack mentioned, did not maintain them at all.  And then when they passed away they got buried back in New York.  Like you lived here for over 40 years but clearly didn't feel like it was home.  While its not as bad as Institutional Investor, its not much better.

The patriarch was in pretty bad shape for years. The developer across the street told me he tried to buy it but the guy did not want the neighborhood gentrified, lol. His kids had a difference of opinion.  

I would see the owner in his wheel chair scooting around only using his legs or sitting out front sleeping. 

• Like 1

On 10/5/2023 at 9:39 AM, jack said:

The patriarch was in pretty bad shape for years. The developer across the street told me he tried to buy it but the guy did not want the neighborhood gentrified, lol. His kids had a difference of opinion.  

I would see the owner in his wheel chair scooting around only using his legs or sitting out front sleeping. 

Ha maybe I should have offered to buy it from him before it went to his kids 🙃

On 10/4/2023 at 10:13 AM, notmeg said:

I've wondered what is going on with the one property that wasn't razed yet. Seems like that owner is a holdout while they build everything else around it?

I wondered the same thing.

But I also wonder... with house prices the way they are, even if they sold their home, the profit they make could get eaten up when they purchase the next home (unless they move to the boonies or severely downsize).

Also, the developer still has a budget to adhere to. There is probably a number that the developer will not exceed in order to remain profitable. For example, one of my relatives sold a home in College Park (well before the pandemic boom). At the time, they were only receiving offers slightly above land value, even though there was a small home on the property. But it was understood that people were only buying the property for the land and they would then bulldoze the old house and build a bigger one (which is what happened).

So if Weekly Homes purchased the properties for $2M and will build 6 homes, they roughly paid an average of $333K for each lot (sales price varied for each property because some of the homes were on double lots), then the developer had the expense of clearing the lots plus construction costs. So Weekly Homes probably had a max number they couldn't exceed via offer and if the holdout didn't want to accept 333K (or possibly even less, because the home is on a single lot), then it wouldn't make financial sense for them to sell.

I was curious so I went down the rabbit hole... play along and say they did receive a healthy offer of "$300K". What and where are you going to buy with that?? That's also assuming the mortgage (or any home equity loans) are paid off after selling. In this case, if my research is correct, the holdout appears to be trustee, home is paid off, probably renting out the existing home for $1,300 month @ nearly 100% profit minus maintenance/mgmt. So basically if you own that home, you choose if you want the money now, or wait it out and get the money later while collecting income over the years while maintaining your net worth.

Edited by nite owℓ

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Jerry95 said:

Looks like most, if not all, of the jersey barriers along S Orange Ave have been removed. Hopefully this means we’ll see asphalt next week and the road back to normal by Thanksgiving!

Are they officially done after this? I feel like every time they open up that road, it goes back under construction a month later. 

On 10/30/2023 at 11:14 AM, bqknight said:

Are they officially done after this? I feel like every time they open up that road, it goes back under construction a month later. 

One can only hope. I also misspoke, the section from the emergency room north appears to be buttoning up. The rest is very much a big hole. 

Construction is still estimated to be completed in November per the update in the community paper this month.

See July's article for a breakdown of the work being done on South Orange Ave by OUC, FDOT and Sodo NID : https://www.yourcommunitypaper.com/articles/south-orange-avenue-construction-update/

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Construction is still estimated to be completed in November per the update in the community paper this month.

See July's article for a breakdown of the work being done on South Orange Ave by OUC, FDOT and Sodo NID : https://www.yourcommunitypaper.com/articles/south-orange-avenue-construction-update/

So all this work on South Orange Ave and North Orange by Ivanhoe, and they're not doing anything with the Lymmo North-South expansion plans...