Downtown South (Sunrail/Amtrak, SODO, Orlando Health, Lymmo, Orange/Michigan Avenues)

SuperMan11MS

3 minutes ago, angela1117 said:

Today on Michigan St I saw a coming soon sign for A La Cart street food and craft ale. It's an empty lot  sort of across from the Juvenile Justice Center.

Yep, its been in the works for a couple years.  Glad to see its actually happening.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@JFW657Incidentally, they're still the owner.  The parts shop now operates out of a garage in Oviedo which shares the address of the owner of this building.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that architecture screams to me 70's era 7-11.  Was it there before it moved next door?  The one on the right is clearly a 90's era 7-11.

Edit:  The sign base also matches the 70's era 7-11 look.

Edited by codypet

19 minutes ago, codypet said:

@JFW657Incidentally, they're still the owner.  The parts shop now operates out of a garage in Oviedo which shares the address of the owner of this building.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that architecture screams to me 70's era 7-11.  Was it there before it moved next door?  The one on the right is clearly a 90's era 7-11.

Edit:  The sign base also matches the 70's era 7-11 look.

I'd be willing to bet money that was a 7 Eleven at one point. 

I'd be interested to see what used to occupy the corner where the current 7 Eleven is. 

2 hours ago, angela1117 said:

I remember when Einsteins was a Mobil station...is it possible Mobil started where the 7-11 is, moved across the street and then across Orange?  My husband worked at Kaley and Division from 1985-2011 so I really thought he would remember.....nah....

By 1985 I'm pretty sure the newer 7 Eleven building was on that corner. 

Was probably built in the early 80's or maybe even late 70's.

But it makes sense that there might have been a service station there, as that's what is usually on the corners of the busier intersections.

Wish I could find a picture. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, angela1117 said:

I remember when Einsteins was a Mobil station...is it possible Mobil started where the 7-11 is, moved across the street and then across Orange?  My husband worked at Kaley and Division from 1985-2011 so I really thought he would remember.....nah....

I swore the Tint place next to Pulse was the Mobil station.  Or do you mean before it was there it was where Einsteins was?

Edited by codypet

4 minutes ago, codypet said:

I swore the Tint place next to Pulse was the Mobil station.  Or do you mean before it was there it was where Einsteins was?

I asked the question on FB and was told that the Einstein's site was a Chevron station and another person said they think the 7 Eleven site might have been a lawnmower repair shop.  

10 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I asked the question on FB and was told that the Einstein's site was a Chevron station and another person said they think the 7 Eleven site might have been a lawnmower repair shop.  

My old memory is a little scrambled but knew Einsteins had been a gas station. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Jerry95 said:

Does anyone know what all the work on S Orange Avenue is? Just drove north through three separate lane drops between Michigan and Gore. Is this just utility upgrades or will there be any tangible improvements to the road as well? 

No improvements yet.  That project is separate than this utility work.  Im not sure if this is what is delaying the other one, I guess that would make sense since they were supposed to start Grant to Gore or Lucerne soonafter Pineloch to Grant was completed.

Found this from June 7:

Motion to approve the Orange Avenue Improvements between the City and the DSNID to fund the following LFA’s with FDOT. LFA #1, the DSNID shall provide the City with Funding in the amount of seven hundred seventy-two thousand two hundred ninety-six dollars ($772,296) and upon the City’s execution of LFA #2, the DSNID shall provide the City with Funding in the amount of eight hundred and eleven thousand six hundred sixty-two dollars ($881,662).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Its continuing the work done Pineloch to Grant?  It's been under way for probably over a year now

Not the current utility work with the worst traffic controls ever. 

The FDOT Orange Ave resurfacing that the City/ NID will enhance with bulbouts, fancy crosswalks, and stuff will continue the look up the street at some point 

On 7/25/2023 at 7:50 AM, codypet said:

The problematic water line should be getting less problematic.

How did you know about that? What was the issue? I wonder if the water leak has anything to due with the hole that opened up under Orange in June https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/traffic-alert-hole-orange-avenue-105215137.html.

I submitted a work order on water seeping out of a manhole on Orange Ave back in February because I thought it might be sewage, but they said it was related to an OUC water meter valve. It was leaking for weeks before they addressed it. Interestingly enough, it's the same intersection as the hole that opened up on Orange Ave.

Edited by nite owℓ