Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

5 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Just basing this solely on outward appearance and physical location, it seems to me this building....

suntrustparkbldg.jpg

....is much more suited for transformation into residential than the old original Sun Bank bldg.

Those open cubbyholes could be easily converted into balconies, plus it's set farther back off of busy Orange Ave while overlooking a shady green space with a fountain. 

Much nicer setting to live in, I would think.

I guess the building is just too much smaller than the other one, so not as much money to be made.

Didn’t the park go away when they built the Lincoln building or whatever it’s called now?

9 hours ago, elefants said:

Could you imagine ground floor restaurants there with outdoor seating? 

There are ground floor restaurants with seating there.  Latin Square is a delight.   I wish there was more outside seating though.  I think there's like only 8 tables.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, codypet said:

There are ground floor restaurants with seating there.  Latin Square is a delight.   I wish there was more outside seating though.  I think there's like only 8 tables.

They could do a miniature version of Rockefeller Plaza there.

Tables with umbrellas, etc.

5 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Didn’t the park go away when they built the Lincoln building or whatever it’s called now?

I think it's still there.

The small one in the picture anyway.

There was a larger patch of grass where that building went up, but it was never really a park, per se. 

2 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

They could do a miniature version of Rockefeller Plaza there.

Tables with umbrellas, etc.

I think it's still there.

The small one in the picture anyway.

There was a larger patch of grass where that building went up, but it was never really a park, per se. 

It was part of a deal from when the City abandoned Beardall Park at South and Orange for development of Sun Bank Center.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Yeah, they had a couple of options.   They had a couple  in OBJ. Lincoln Property Company 200 SOAB was the RFP. I saw renderings with windows added to the north side of the building, penthouse amenity deck, and they also proposed to "re-skin" the building with a couple of material options. Also at one time said they were adding a Times-Square like video board to the facade over Wahlburgers location. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/03/15/downtown-orlando-building-may-sport-times-square.html
https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/05/26/florida-downtown-office-to-become-apartments.html

Might be updated renders on that last one, but I don't have access at home. 

Here was the old LPC site with original rendering, but they updated it with a more modern look for the re-skin RFP: http://www.lpcsoutheast.com/properties/downtown-orlandos-main-main-office-space-for-lease/

Not sure residential would be the most successful use of that space (maybe a hotel conversion?) although windows on the north side of the building is a no-brainer and would be a huge enhancement.

On 5/27/2020 at 8:13 AM, codypet said:

Latin Square is the most underrated place to eat DT.  I wonder if they're open.  I should bike up there for lunch tomorrow to support em.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A little more info on 200 S. Orange. 

"the company opted to reposition the smaller SOAB building as mixed-use 143 residential units, maintaining the ground level retail site now occupied by Wahlburgers... The exterior would be transformed with inset balcony units and floor-to-ceiling windows. There’s also an new sign package that includes an LED video screen wrapping the entire second floor corner over the Wahlburgers space... Each floor has 13 mico-units and one studio apartment. Levels 3-6 have four one-bedroom apartments and one two-bedroom corner apartment. Levels 7-10 have five one-bedroom apartments... The case also goes to the Municipal Planning Board in July for master plan approval, which would include a density bonus and parking reduction of 21%

I think most of that has been mentioned in previous posts.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/downtown-orlando-developments/gs-news-office-conversion-20200610-vrsjlpdhujepfdxyvi24xsmyg4-story.html

• Like 1

Yeah, but hadn't heard about the Micro-units.  Thanks for the info, AmIReal!  Interesting concept with a lot of Micro-unit/studios making up the majority of the floors. It fits there as basically ground zero main  & main DT, but wonder if the market is driving it or the current state of the building that was originally designed for office space and financial conditions to make it work are driving it. 

Edited by dcluley98

I may be wrong on this but I can’t imagine too many folks once their careers are in gear and starting families wanting to live in that part of downtown. 

It seems ideal, however, for those just out of school. To me, it seems they’re capturing the demographics rather well.

6 hours ago, orlandoguy said:

I realize this is one of those buildings downtown that I’ve never taken the time to look at. For a long time I thought it was part of (the former) SunTrust tower, lol.

Interesting idea, I wish them well if it moves forward.

If you see pre 1980s photos of Orlando its much more obvious that this is the old Sunbank building dressed up after SunBank tower was built.

• Like 2