Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

25 minutes ago, codypet said:

Weren't those murals typically either an artist just doing them, or the protesters themselves.  Seems odd that the City is doing it instead.

I don't think so. Most of the big ones, at least since DC, have been done by cities.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, codypet said:

Weren't those murals typically either an artist just doing them, or the protesters themselves.  Seems odd that the City is doing it instead.

I think it's a collaboration between city and advocacy groups, fox news updated their article to explain it a bit more. Apparently volunteers/residents are welcome to join: https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/black-lives-matter-mural-to-be-painted-in-downtown-orlando-friday-morning

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, codypet said:

We all knew this here, but Wahlburger's is officially done.

Even though the signs were there, the closure still seems abrupt to me. I wish Wahlburgers would have given customers a heads up - one last day or weekend to order off the menu. I never got around to trying their food... and I'm not driving to Waterford Lakes when I didn't even walk to their downtown location.

Even though the signs were there, the closure still seems abrupt to me. I wish Wahlburgers would have given customers a heads up - one last day or weekend to order off the menu. I never got around to trying their food... and I'm not driving to Waterford Lakes when I didn't even walk to their downtown location.

You’re not missing much. [emoji854]
  • Haha 2

Just now, orlandoguy said:

You’re not missing much. emoji854.png

Yeah I didn't think so, but Wahlburgers served a purpose and was sort of a destination for visitors. IMO, chain restaurants are pretty standard within downtown cores and yet we don't even have a frigging McDonald's lol. Still waiting for that Taco Bell Cantina to open...

No more Urban Flats, Panera, Tijuana Flats, Wahlburgers... ugh.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

I think it's a collaboration between city and advocacy groups, fox news updated their article to explain it a bit more. Apparently volunteers/residents are welcome to join: https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/black-lives-matter-mural-to-be-painted-in-downtown-orlando-friday-morning

Someone uploaded a picture on FB of the mural, not sure if the pic was taken before or after the rain:

BLM.thumb.jpg.db66b742ad05821718dd9183574d1dbc.jpg

I thought it would be a community thing and I thought the mural would have been more "muraly" but when I stopped by this morning I just saw a bunch of city workers with a spray machine and rubber edging mats so I'm not sure how the general public would've had the opportunity to chip in. Always interesting to see city construction workers do work that is usually commissioned by creative types (bandshell, SoDo crosswalks, etc)  lol.

I was hoping for something more like this:

a4jduvkaer451.jpg

Edited by nite owℓ

So not to be a debbie downer, but one of the reasons Orlando didn't put rainbow crosswalks on Orange down by Pulse was FDOT warned the City that if that happened, it would be repainted because the paint didn't meet MUTCD requirements.   Is the City doing this on Rosalind not realizing FDOT might take the same stance since its 527 NB?  The Orange Sodo Crosswalks are apparently a color that's allowed.

Edited by codypet

8 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

IMO, chain restaurants are pretty standard within downtown cores and yet we don't even have a frigging McDonald's lol. Still waiting for that Taco Bell Cantina to open...

No more Urban Flats, Panera, Tijuana Flats, Wahlburgers... ugh.

Had it all back in tha day!   Even the short lived Mickey D's, then swapped to a BK!

Hooters, Fridays, Olive Garden, Jungle Jim's, UNO, yada yada yada. Anywho.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, codypet said:

So not to be a debbie downer, but one of the reasons Orlando didn't put rainbow crosswalks on Orange down by Pulse was FDOT warned the City that if that happened, it would be repainted because the paint didn't meet MUTCD requirements.   Is the City doing this on Rosalind not realizing FDOT might take the same stance since its 527 NB?  The Orange Sodo Crosswalks are apparently a color that's allowed.

I remembered that too, but it was mentioned on the news that the city owns this portion of Rosalind which is how Mayor Dyer was able to approve the mural. In the end, the rainbow bandshell was a bigger "win" for the LGBT community, greater visibility and tastefully done - almost like a perfect match with the way it turned out. TBH I'm not really a fan of street murals unless they are temporary, I just don't think they age well in high traffic areas.

And already, the BLM mural has been defaced, "Not enough, defund police, etc." but nothing racist... yet.

Per the OBJ:

• The Trophy Room (owned by Michael Jordan's son) — has officially signed a 10-year lease agreement with Modera (We already knew this was in the works, but it's interesting to see the pandemic has not affected his decision)
  • Maki Hibachi restaurant signed a 10 year lease in the new neighborhood storage center on Magnolia and Colonial
  • Eat The Frog fitness signed a 10 year lease in Novel Lucerne (the commercial unit with Main Lane address - not the Earth Fare space)

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/06/26/michael-jordan-themed-store-done-deal-downtown.html?iana=hpmvp_orl_news_headline

Edited by nite owℓ

9 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

Had it all back in tha day!   Even the short lived Mickey D's, then swapped to a BK!

Hooters, Fridays, Olive Garden, Jungle Jim's, UNO, yada yada yada. Anywho.

I don't remember any McD's ever being downtown or at the former BK.

I remember the BK very well because the company I worked for at the time, did some work for them prior to its opening. 

3 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

Per the OBJ:

• The Trophy Room (owned by Michael Jordan's son) — has officially signed a 10-year lease agreement with Modera (We already knew this was in the works, but it's interesting to see the pandemic has not affected his decision)
  • Maki Hibachi restaurant signed a 10 year lease in the new neighborhood storage center on Magnolia and Colonial
  • Eat The Frog fitness signed a 10 year lease in Novel Lucerne (the commercial unit with Main Lane address - not the Earth Fare space)

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2020/06/26/michael-jordan-themed-store-done-deal-downtown.html?iana=hpmvp_orl_news_headline

Heard Marcus was getting crazy high bids from contractors because they assume he will just pay whatever.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, codypet said:

the FDOT/City road thing is a sham.  It’s only used to stall projects whether it’s paint, food trucks or micro mobility 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Heard Marcus was getting crazy high bids from contractors because they assume he will just pay whatever.

I wonder if their crazy high bids will also reflect their crazy high workmanship?? I guess he should find a way to conceal his identity, the same way buyers like the city will send another entity to buy property while trying to discretely assemble parcels of land. I would think he would already have a few trustworthy contractors in his back pocket to avoid situations like this.

3 hours ago, Jernigan said:

the FDOT/City road thing is a sham.  It’s only used to stall projects whether it’s paint, food trucks or micro mobility 

The pastel monstrosities along several intersections of FL A1A in Daytona Beach sort of put the lie to any sort of consistency in the matter. On Orange Avenue in SoDo, it’s hard not to conclude some homophobes won the day.

Edited by spenser1058

7 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

You're kidding me right... c'mon now, it's PourHouse.

I know exactly where you're talking about.

As I said before, the company I worked for in the early to mid 90's did some exterior work for the Burger King that went in there. I handled the sign permitting for it. 

I don't want to start any kind of heated, contentious disagreement over the subject or anything, but I do not believe there was ever a McDonald's at that location or any other downtown location. 

If you say there was one, fine. You have the right to believe that.

I just don't recall a McDonald's ever being anywhere closer to that or any other downtown spot , than the current SoDo location.

We'll just have to disagree.  :thumbsup: 

3 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I know exactly where you're talking about.

As I said before, the company I worked for in the early to mid 90's did some exterior work for the Burger King that went in there. I handled the sign permitting for it. 

I don't want to start any kind of heated, contentious disagreement over the subject or anything, but I do not believe there was ever a McDonald's at that location or any other downtown location. 

If you say there was one, fine. You have the right to believe that.

I just don't recall a McDonald's ever being anywhere closer to that or any other downtown spot , than the current SoDo location.

We'll just have to disagree.  :thumbsup: 

I have to agree that I cannot recall a Mickey D’s ever being downtown. We had a Royal Castle, a Boston Market and the aforementioned BK, but that’s pretty much it for major fast food chains before the doomed Wahlburger and the Taco Bell Cantina that will apparently sell no taco before its time.

More’s the pity, as we used to go to the Krystal (from waaaaay back), the McD’s and Shoney’s in downtown Nashville regularly back in the halcyon days of the early’80’s.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, spenser1058 said:

I have to agree that I cannot recall a Mickey D’s ever being downtown. We had a Royal Castle, a Boston Market and the aforementioned BK, but that’s pretty much it before the doomed Wahlburger and the Taco Bell Cantina that will apparently sell no taco before its time.

I don't even remember a Royal Castle but that could've been in the 70's before my time in Orlando.

I don't recall Boston Market either, but I'm guessing, might've been at Church St Market somewhere.

No McDonald's, though.

I think prior to BK, the PourHouse site was a breakfast joint or something. 

1 minute ago, JFW657 said:

I don't even remember a Royal Castle but that could've been in the 70's before my time in Orlando.

I don't recall Boston Market either, but I'm guessing, might've been at Church St Market somewhere.

No McDonald's, though.

I think prior to BK, the PourHouse site was a breakfast joint or something. 

The Royal Castle was on Church St just east of Orange. Once the chain died, it became a Nature’s Table or some such with mostly vegetarian fare for years. Of course, all that was leveled in Buddy’s midnight raid.

The Boston Market was in a corridor that led from the Church St. Market back to Sun Bank Center. It didn’t last long because hardly anyone knew it was there. 

25 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The Royal Castle was on Church St just east of Orange. Once the chain died, it became a Nature’s Table or some such with mostly vegetarian fare for years. Of course, all that was leveled in Buddy’s midnight raid.

The Boston Market was in a corridor that led from the Church St. Market back to Sun Bank Center. It didn’t last long because hardly anyone knew it was there. 

I remember the the place you're talking about. It was called The Garden Patch I think. They sold stuff like bean sprout and tofu on whole wheat "sandwiches". 

I used to go there and get soft serve frozen yogurt all the time, back in the 80's.

Apparently, Nature's Table attempted a Garden Patch redux in 2008.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories/2008/11/17/daily42.html

Don't know if it ever happened.

From The Orlando Sentinel....

Sept 12, 1985

DEAR DOROTHY: A group of "Downtown Orlando Diners" recently has become very excited about a new soup offered by The Garden Patch Restaurant. The soup is called Tomato Macaroni by this popular health food restaurant and has frequently been sold out by noon due to its increasing popularity. We would very much enjoy having the recipe so that we can have it on weekends too. Should you like to try it yourself, Tomato Macaroni Soup is served every Monday and Thursday.

The Downtown Diners

ORLANDO

DEAR DOWNTOWN DINERS: This has been so popular it's kept owner Dick Larsen busy just fending off customer requests for the recipe and its "secret ingredients." One downtown firm, he said, orders it by the gallon each week for staff enjoyment. But he reversed his stand on the recipe and The Garden Patch cook wrote it out for the first time. The "secret ingredient" is havarti cheese available, he said, at most Publix Super Markets and specialty food shops. Mozzarella can be substituted, but it won't be quite as satisfactory. Pope tomatoes are available at The Garden Patch, 25 E. Church St. in downtown Orlando. The restaurant and health food store is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Fridays, serving frozen yogurt, soup, sandwiches and salads.

TOMATO MACARONI SOUP (THE GARDEN PATCH)

Vegetable oil

3 lbs fresh mushrooms, sliced

3 very large onions, chopped

3 very large green peppers, chopped

3 tbsps paprika

6 tbsps garlic powder

6 tbsps Italian seasoning

2 46-oz cans tomato juice

1 6-lb 8-oz can Pope diced tomatoes

Salt and pepper to taste

2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni

2 lbs havarti cheese, cut in chunks or grated

1 to 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese

Saute in small amount of oil mushrooms, onions, green peppers, paprika, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. In large bowl, add sauteed ingredients to tomatoes and tomato juice, let stand refrigerated overnight. When almost ready to serve, cook macaroni according to package directions, drain. Place tomato soup mixture in large kettle, stir in cooked macaroni. Warm over medium heat, turn heat to low and stir in grated havarti cheese, continue stirring carefully to melt the cheese. Add and stir in 1 cup grated Parmesan, taste, and if desired add balance of cheese to taste. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Makes 6 to 8 quarts.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-1985-09-12-0330030144-story.html

Edited by JFW657

44 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I remember the the place you're talking about. It was called The Garden Patch I think. They sold stuff like bean sprout and tofu on whole wheat "sandwiches". 

I used to go there and get soft serve frozen yogurt all the time, back in the 80's.

Apparently, Nature's Table attempted a Garden Patch redux in 2008.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories/2008/11/17/daily42.html

Don't know if it ever happened.

From The Orlando Sentinel....

Sept 12, 1985

DEAR DOROTHY: A group of "Downtown Orlando Diners" recently has become very excited about a new soup offered by The Garden Patch Restaurant. The soup is called Tomato Macaroni by this popular health food restaurant and has frequently been sold out by noon due to its increasing popularity. We would very much enjoy having the recipe so that we can have it on weekends too. Should you like to try it yourself, Tomato Macaroni Soup is served every Monday and Thursday.

The Downtown Diners

ORLANDO

DEAR DOWNTOWN DINERS: This has been so popular it's kept owner Dick Larsen busy just fending off customer requests for the recipe and its "secret ingredients." One downtown firm, he said, orders it by the gallon each week for staff enjoyment. But he reversed his stand on the recipe and The Garden Patch cook wrote it out for the first time. The "secret ingredient" is havarti cheese available, he said, at most Publix Super Markets and specialty food shops. Mozzarella can be substituted, but it won't be quite as satisfactory. Pope tomatoes are available at The Garden Patch, 25 E. Church St. in downtown Orlando. The restaurant and health food store is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Fridays, serving frozen yogurt, soup, sandwiches and salads.

TOMATO MACARONI SOUP (THE GARDEN PATCH)

Vegetable oil

3 lbs fresh mushrooms, sliced

3 very large onions, chopped

3 very large green peppers, chopped

3 tbsps paprika

6 tbsps garlic powder

6 tbsps Italian seasoning

2 46-oz cans tomato juice

1 6-lb 8-oz can Pope diced tomatoes

Salt and pepper to taste

2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni

2 lbs havarti cheese, cut in chunks or grated

1 to 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese

Saute in small amount of oil mushrooms, onions, green peppers, paprika, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. In large bowl, add sauteed ingredients to tomatoes and tomato juice, let stand refrigerated overnight. When almost ready to serve, cook macaroni according to package directions, drain. Place tomato soup mixture in large kettle, stir in cooked macaroni. Warm over medium heat, turn heat to low and stir in grated havarti cheese, continue stirring carefully to melt the cheese. Add and stir in 1 cup grated Parmesan, taste, and if desired add balance of cheese to taste. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Makes 6 to 8 quarts.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-1985-09-12-0330030144-story.html

That’s it and iirc The Garden Patch changed its name or was bought out by Nature’s Table or something. I don’t remember the deets at all. I seem to remember, though, the name changed without the place shutting down. Of course, by 2003, they would have had to leave because the place was leveled.

Edited by spenser1058