Downtown Orlando Project Discussion

sunshine

Yep, last plan had Zoi House approved at 467', but the plan is being revised to pass architectural review. 

It is amazing how much the skyline has changed and the density changed over the last 10 years.  It happens gradually, so you don't notice as much when you live here, but if you went back to before the last "boom" in 2007 to now, the difference in density is crazy! 

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Compared to Jax you have a much more vibrant downtown.  JAX skyline is beautiful set on the river but they don't have all the hotels and apartments and condos downtown like Orlando has. 

I might even have to check out one of your theme parks I hear you have some good ones LOL.   I love Sea World. 

Just a few regional theme parks. We’re humble.

• Haha 4

On 1/30/2019 at 4:21 AM, sunshine said:

Yes, not a Taco fans but one more night club closure is a plus. A small upgrade from Pita Pit.  Now take out the Avenue and put in something nice.

Not sure why I'm going to bother but.... what is the issue with Avenue?  Regularly busy, decent-to-good food for reasonable prices.  Not my favorite place by any means, but its been open almost 5 years now, so I'd say its a rousing success

• Like 1

13 hours ago, IAmFloridaBorn said:

I've always thought to myself for Orlando to not be business-focused or be by a body of water like most American Urban cities with large downtown's we have a nice set of buildings in a great working neighborhood system that is coming together more and more to create the vibe rightness we have downtown 

I think our downtown is quite beautiful not being by a bay, an ocean or river

If Jacob Summerlin hadn’t messed everything up and Gen. Sanford had gotten his way, Central Florida’s leading city would be sitting by Lake Monroe and the St. Johns River.

Nevertheless, with Lake Eola and the causeways providing gateways into downtown across Lakes Ivanhoe, Lucerne and Underhill, Orlando has its own unique cachet. River towns are a dime a dozen across the US but having a dozen lakes is different.

• Thanks 1

I know there is a distaste for the OBJ on this forum, but has anyone seen this yet?

Tampa-based Duckweed Urban Grocery eyes Orlando expansion - Orlando Business Journal

Since Duckweed's current locations are in downtown areas in Tampa, The OBJ is alluding to the possibility that the grocer may want to replicate an urban location in downtown Orlando, but the target area has not been specified. Negotiations with landlords are still in the early stages. "Duckweed serves items from local and international vendors, along with beers, wines and ready-to-eat foods prepared on site. The grocer typically operates in roughly 2,000-square-foot spaces."

• Like 1

19 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

I know there is a distaste for the OBJ on this forum, but has anyone seen this yet?

Tampa-based Duckweed Urban Grocery eyes Orlando expansion - Orlando Business Journal

Since Duckweed's current locations are in downtown areas in Tampa, The OBJ is alluding to the possibility that the grocer may want to replicate an urban location in downtown Orlando, but the target area has not been specified. Negotiations with landlords are still in the early stages. "Duckweed serves items from local and international vendors, along with beers, wines and ready-to-eat foods prepared on site. The grocer typically operates in roughly 2,000-square-foot spaces."

This sounds a little like what the folks from Market On South are bringing to the old Handy Pantry - now Eola General - getting ready to open in the next couple weeks. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I know you’ve all been anxiously awaiting this. The Magic Pet at Orange and Colonial is finally scheduled to open in March.

Mama B’s is but a memory...

https://bungalower.com/2019/02/18/magic-pet-opening-in-former-mama-bs-this-march/

From Bungalower 

I was gonna say.  It's looked done for a while.  Especially compared to the Foxtail Mama B's in Sodo.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sunshine said:

I wish they would spend some money on the exterior landscaping especially around the perimeter of the property to make it look more urban friendly.  A small corner park for the little one to poo would be nice.

The ARB came up with the site plan and the CRA is paying for the streetscaping, not Magic Pet.  ARB required MP to make room for a 15' wide streetscape zone. The changes in the site plan reduced the lot size and brought down the amount of available parking spaces from 10 to 6. MP has a dog walk area & patio so maybe those are designated potty areas?

"While ARB Staff is generally pleased with the proposed improvements, staff also has to look at the public realm on the edges of the site.  Upon examination it is very clear that the streetscape adjacent to the subject property is in disrepair and is insufficient in width at the this key intersection.   In many instances, especially with new development such as the Residence Inn that wraps around the  south and west of this property, ARB Staff has the ability to require the new development to provide a full streetscape width [15 feet] and also require the new development construct the streetscape as part of the construction of their project. Therefore ARB Staff is requiring that Magic Pet provide sufficient area on their property to expand the existing streetscape width to 15 feet from the back of curb on the adjacent street.  However, ARB Staff is not requiring that Magic Pet construct and pay for the new streetscape.  The Downtown CRA will construct the new streetscape along with several other streetscpe pro-jects over the next few years. The ARB Staff requirement for the additional land will alter the Magic Pet site plan as submitted.  Therefore ARB Staff has de-veloped a new site plan for the property and has included it in this staff report.  The conditions of approval in this staff report are based on that revised site plan."

1883107688_Screenshot_2019-02-19ARB2017-10005_692SOrangeAve_MagicPetFacadeRenovationpub-ARB2017-10005reportpdf.thumb.png.dec2e4a9195ae7e84de3fb839ab308fe.png955205943_Screenshot_2019-02-19ARB2017-10005_692SOrangeAve_MagicPetFacadeRenovationpub-ARB2017-10005reportpdf(1).thumb.png.cfa95c9f692c00bac5122b623361f817.png

4 hours ago, W7edwin said:

the pictures showing inside of mama Bs subs  made me revolt LOL :sick:

Someone once recommended that I try Mama B's. They were friendly enough, but as soon as I walked in the door I had to think of an excuse to leave.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 3