MLS Soccer Stadium

drjnieto

Unfortunately I would not expect any visual impact from this stadium other than at street level. It's only about 3 stories high. Other MLS stadiums of this size (like Houston's) are not visible until you are right next to them. My guess is that you will have to know exactly where to look to catch a glimpse of it from I-4 or 408.

I kind of like that it "fits in" with the surrounding neighborhood.  It makes it more of a local area thing than some monstrosity surrounded by barren parking lots.  This makes the surroundings blend much better, especially after we get some redevelopment along church street.  It would make it more of an overall place rather than just a destination on game day. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Agree - if you can't have both, choose the walkable block versus the highway eye candy every time.

Pretty much, especially since it won't really matter if got built at street level instead of sunken - because it will not be seen from (new) I-4 anyways. I like that it is sunken, fits much better with the existing context instead of being overbearing. My only issue with this whole thing will forever be that stubborn little church.

Now to that I-4 vista: I-4 is going much more of a monstrosity than FDOT wants the public to know. On such feature is that I4 is going to be lifted to twice as high as it currently is through downtown, at Church street for example, the clearance under it is going to be 30 feet instead of the 15 or so feet is now. Looks good for the "bridge district," the rest not so much.

So when the stadium gets completed, we might enjoy a couple of years of catching a glimpse of it from I-4 before the new mainline spans are built.

Doesn't look like I-4 is going to be any higher than the height of the re-built eastbound lanes. At South Street I can see a dramatic rise, and Church will also be a touch higher. Unless they are going to rip all that up as well as the supports currently sitting on steel, which would that be a temporary nature?

IMG_20160718_183846.jpg

IMG_20160718_183831.jpg

It's 6 feet higher than current.   Will open up the space beneath a bit but nothing major.   It will make traffic a mess when they've got it halfway done and your driving next to cars 6 feet higher or lower during construction but when it's done it should be nice 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

^^

nice shots.  wow, so it's finally built up all the way to Church St. I see.

Anyone know about the new bar that's just west of the stadium along Church St?  

Stonewall? It's an old bar that just went through renovations. It is a predominantly gay bar but many people go after the games even now. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, sunshine said:

That temple needs to go and the city need to change that plot of land into another park to replace the park that was at the stadium site.

This, so much this. We could have kept the park, Parramore Avenue, and the stadium would have been a couple hundred feet closer to Downtown if it weren't for the church's stubbornness. I hope the City lets the lot to the east of the church become a temporary tailgating area to expedite the process of the church getting fed up and moving somewhere else. Then it can be converted into a nice park.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, metal93 said:

This, so much this. We could have kept the park, Parramore Avenue, and the stadium would have been a couple hundred feet closer to Downtown if it weren't for the church's stubbornness. I hope the City lets the lot to the east of the church become a temporary tailgating area to expedite the process of the church getting fed up and moving somewhere else. Then it can be converted into a nice park.

I think "stubbornness" is being charitable.

Greed is probably closer to reality.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New brewery with an outdoor beer garden planned by new soccer stadium

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/consumer/os-parramore-brewery-beer-garden-20160912-story.html

A new brewery with an outdoor beer garden is planned for the Parramore District across the street from the Orlando City Soccer Club stadium.

The owners of downtown entertainment district Wall Street Plaza filed permits with the City of Orlando to convert a warehouse into a 16,000-square-foot facility called "Tubbs Brewing."

A company connected to Wall Street Plaza purchased the half-acre property, located at 617 W. Central Blvd., in March for $1.45 million.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

New brewery with an outdoor beer garden planned by new soccer stadium

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/consumer/os-parramore-brewery-beer-garden-20160912-story.html

A new brewery with an outdoor beer garden is planned for the Parramore District across the street from the Orlando City Soccer Club stadium.

The owners of downtown entertainment district Wall Street Plaza filed permits with the City of Orlando to convert a warehouse into a 16,000-square-foot facility called "Tubbs Brewing."

A company connected to Wall Street Plaza purchased the half-acre property, located at 617 W. Central Blvd., in March for $1.45 million.

My first reaction is that they must be planning for the beer garden to be inward facing, with little/no street interaction. Many clients of the Coalition for the Homeless congregate along Terry next to the fenced in area adjacent this building.