MLS Soccer Stadium

drjnieto

Let's be honest about this... The Parramore neighborhood was abandoned years ago and bought up by out of state carpet bag... I mean land owners. It seems the tenants of the area are complaining about any attempt to fix the neighborhood and the land owners could careless until they can cash in.  

Edited by RedStar25
stuff

7 hours ago, RedStar25 said:

Let's be honest about this... The Parramore neighborhood was abandoned years ago and bought up by out of state carpet bag... I mean land owners. It seems the tenants of the area are complaining about any attempt to fix the neighborhood and the land owners could careless until they can cash in.  

And that is not peculiar to Parramore either.

Pretty much the same in run down, low income inner city areas nationwide.

Money and economics always trump everything else.

• 4 weeks later...

So they announced on the news today that the team won't start playing at the new stadium as soon as they expected due to construction delays that will push back the opening to 2017. Hence, they will be playing at the Citrus Bowl for another entire season.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-orlando-city-soccer-stadium-delay-20160113-story.html

13 hours ago, JFW657 said:

So they announced on the news today that the team won't start playing at the new stadium as soon as they expected due to construction delays that will push back the opening to 2017. Hence, they will be playing at the Citrus Bowl for another entire season.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-orlando-city-soccer-stadium-delay-20160113-story.html

Walking by the construction site after the Citrus Bowl (or technically during third quarter) I was in disbelief that the stadium would be up and running for any part of this season.  

One issue I encountered on my long and depressing walk back from the Citrus Bowl was the complete lack of any potential stadium-supporting infrastructure around the new soccer arena. It is a decent walk from the arena to Church Street for a drink pre- or post-game. I cannot realistically see anything going up in time for the first season there. Stonewall is going to make a killing (and confuse quite a few people walking in unknowingly).

• Like 1

I would be willing to bet that once that soccer stadium opens up and begins drawing fans there by the thousands, it will attract new development in the immediate surroundings.

Plus, as I understand it, they are going to open the stadium up for use by local amatuer leagues and youth soccer clinics, etc, so that would be another attraction for businesses like restaurants etc to open up nearby.

3 hours ago, JFW657 said:

I would be willing to bet that once that soccer stadium opens up and begins drawing fans there by the thousands, it will attract new development in the immediate surroundings.

Plus, as I understand it, they are going to open the stadium up for use by local amatuer leagues and youth soccer clinics, etc, so that would be another attraction for businesses like restaurants etc to open up nearby.

I am sure that will happen too, but will take time for those developments to come to fruition. Not going to pop up over night or even over the period of a few months.

I've assumed this announcement was coming for months - ever since they decided to publically fund it.  As a STH, I have no problem with this - I'm incredibly excited for our real home to open, but the citrus bowl was really fun last year, and I'm happy to have another season of tailgating. Lot 9 is a blast for kids as well as adults, since it's grass and has goalposts set up.  When the new stadium opens, I'll miss kicking the ball around, grilling, and enjoying a few beers 

• Like 1

Black Caldroun brewery is opening up about a block west of the stadium site. It is owned by a member of the ruckus and will become the new tailgate place for the ruckus pregame.

Interesting to note, the supporters section standing area does not have seats in the renderings here.  I was under the impression this would be "safe standing" type area that included fold away seats for the option of sitting down if you wish or when the action stops, before the game, halftime, etc.  I don't know if it is just the virtual tour that doesn't show it, or if the seats are not an option any more.  While the standing section is cool, I would think most people would at least like the OPTION to fold a seat down if they want/need to. 

Here is a view from supporters section in the virtual rendering of the interactive viewer and an example of other "safe standing" area of a soccer stadium that includes the fold-down seat option:

OCSC Suporters Section.jpg

1280px-Rail_seats_in_Klagenfurt,_Austria.jpg

Interesting to note, the supporters section standing area does not have seats in the renderings here.  I was under the impression this would be "safe standing" type area that included fold away seats for the option of sitting down if you wish or when the action stops, before the game, halftime, etc.  I don't know if it is just the virtual tour that doesn't show it, or if the seats are not an option any more.  While the standing section is cool, I would think most people would at least like the OPTION to fold a seat down if they want/need to. 

Here is a view from supporters section in the virtual rendering of the interactive viewer and an example of other "safe standing" area of a soccer stadium that includes the fold-down seat option:

56a0f7bd8ff08_OCSCSuportersSection.thumb.jpg.82f906bafa33ac719ac208b17e507b4d.jpg

56a0f80331c2c_1280px-Rail_seats_in_Klagenfurt_Austria.thumb.jpg.88e60e584a7ab9d3c29430417125341a.jpg

I think the final design will have food down seats. FIFA requires an all seat stadium so if they hope to ever have any international matches they'll have to have seats.

20 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Orlando sports fans are tough.

We don't need no stinking fold down seats!!! 

Looks like ours has beer cup holders, though.

That's the important thing.

Yes. I could stand all day and prefer to have the convenience of putting my drink into a cupholder.

19 hours ago, mcn11 said:

I think the final design will have food down seats. FIFA requires an all seat stadium so if they hope to ever have any international matches they'll have to have seats.

Figured this would be case. I highly doubt Orlando City will pass the potential revenue generated from holding FIFA matches, so likely the seats are a go.

4 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

stupid church...

The church may have had their victory in sticking it against the man, but in the end they are hurting their own cause. First they rejected money that could have built them a nice new church and help the residents of Parramore. Then they expedited the further division of the neighborhood by refusing to move, causing the neighborhood's main street to be severed, creating a new obstacle separating the north and south parts of Parramore, that could have all been avoided if they just moved. If the church was attached to its building (being brutally honest, it is unremarkable in terms of church architecture), it could have at least tried getting the building moved to one of the many empty lots in Parramore, maybe even help fill in the small commercial main street of Parramore Avenue running from Church St down to the 408 underpass. People move buildings all the time, so it shouldn't be an issue unless they had an attachment to that particular plot of land. It's nice to hear about the little guy winning but this case is just frustrating as well.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2016 at 8:36 AM, HankStrong said:

I have only been to 2 games, but that section is really bizarre.  Fun, but bizarre.  It doesn't appear that you can see anything going on during the game, but you just make a lot of noise regardless.

It's actually a lot of fun and a great way to experience the game.  I don't know any other sport that has this type of support and camaraderie among fans beyond game days.  Those same people volunteer around the community and make it more than just about soccer.  Yes it is tough to see depending on where you choose to stand, I just pick a happy medium to be among them enough to enjoy the spirit but still be able to view the game.

• Like 1