Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

Similar events have ice skating and small rides that people pay to take part in while the public have access to the event itself and the ambiance for free.  Making it a real community event.

This seems like it is being run by an events company with an events company mentality.   Can we expect fencing and wristbands to help get us in the Christmas spirit?

1 minute ago, jrs2 said:

when is Phase II moving forward?

NEVER?!

They are working on snagging remaining funding from TDT through the CHFLA proposal divvying up future TDT revenue, including that on a Convention Center bond which will be paid off in a few years -- the county isn't biting on it. There is also a proposal changing how TDT is allocated going through charter review committee (CRC) that could have an impact on new money coming available for Dr. Phillips Center. If it makes it to the ballot, we will vote on it in November.  Kathy Ramsberger was arguing that if the project doesn't get money now, it may be many, many more years before it can be built, because some private pledges are restricted and may be rescinded if construction doesn't start by a certain date (I don't remember what it was.)  She also cited a projected rise in construction costs by $20M per year.

The CFHLA TDT proposal funds a couple of other organizations upfront - Orlando Science Center, Orlando Ballet, and Orlando Philharmonic, but it could make it much harder for other major cultural projects - OMA, for example - and smaller facilities improvements to receive TDT funding.  

The CRC proposal would put the money in the hands of the Tourist Development Council to make funding recommendations/allocations, instead of those staying with Orange County. It follows that the funding would go to I-Drive corridor interests and Visit Orlando to offset marketing costs for the theme parks.

On 4/13/2016 at 5:18 PM, Urban Mail Carrier said:

YEAH I can almost visualize the Orlando city and Orlando Magic fans rush to this traffic circle in celebration when we hoist the MLS cup or NBA title..it would truly be the regions focal point.

I love the market idea!!! Every good city has one...Philadelphia has Reading terminal, Toronto has the  St. Lawrence Market, but I'm not sure next to the DPAC would be appropriate for our market. I would  instead place it underneath I4 and try to make it work with the planned Park or next to Central Station in that empty lot across the street from the courthouse..That particular location would  feed off the pedestrian traffic from the terminal and train station and also from the UCF campus 2 blocks away.

Nobody said to rush to the traffic circle to celebrate a victory. 

But, I think its consensus that when you go to Manhattan and see Columbus Circle, that's unmistakably a landmark.  That is the kind of thing I'm talking about. 

And there are similar traffic circles similar in design, scope, and historical significance for their respective communities in cities all over the world (in case you weren't aware).

I mentioned in some thread that we'd need more heroes if we wanted more statues.

This also, unfortunately, works for victims.  They should be memorialized.  This is a solid opportunity.

Of course that first cop who tried to stop this might be considered a solid hero-type character, as well.  He likely saved dozens of lives by making that loser retreat to the bathrooms.  Although, that was horrible for the folks hiding the bathrooms.  Usually, they don't make statues for heroes that survive.  At least I think not usually.

On June 10, 2016 at 1:32 PM, jrs2 said:

Nobody said to rush to the traffic circle to celebrate a victory. 

But, I think its consensus that when you go to Manhattan and see Columbus Circle, that's unmistakably a landmark.  That is the kind of thing I'm talking about. 

And there are similar traffic circles similar in design, scope, and historical significance for their respective communities in cities all over the world (in case you weren't aware).

I don't know if u were being sarcastic. Yes I am very aware that there are other traffic circles.. Thank u for informing me..That's why I suggested a landmark of this type at that particular location...I am not coming up with anything new except my observations around my world travels and how such an idea would go well there...And yes I am the one who is saying that if there is a victory celebration or in the case of last week a vigil, it would lend itself perfectly for such an event...

• 2 months later...

Reported on the news tonight that Teresa Jacobs wants Orlando and Orange County to modify their agreement in order to allocate another $45 million in tourist tax dollars to begin construction on the final phase of DPAC ASAP.

9 Investigates potential use of tourism tax funds for arts, sports

The vote could take place by the end of this month with construction beginning soon afterward.

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Reported on the news tonight that Teresa Jacobs wants Orlando and Orange County to modify their agreement in order to allocate another $45 million in tourist tax dollars to begin construction on the final phase of DPAC ASAP.

9 Investigates potential use of tourism tax funds for arts, sports

The vote could take place by the end of this month with construction beginning soon afterward.

I've been in several of these meetings. There was a proposed charter amendment that got pulled at the last minute and a CFHLA proposal on how to spend the County's share of future TDT. The county signed over most of the incremental TDT to the City as part of the Venues plan for debt service on those projects. There is a bond that will be paid off at the convention center in the next few years which will free up quite a bit of money (~$40M a year, IIRC) which is really what the CFHLA and Charter amendments have their eye on.

I am attaching Mayor Jacobs' memo here.

09-09-16_BCC_Completion_of_DPC.pdf

• Like 1

Actually a few months ago when the tourist tax board or whatever, proposed a plan to get a bunch of projects going including phase II, it was the city that was ready to jump on it.  It was the county (Jacobs) that said, slow down.  "Let's take a look at this."  I think her big objection was the big boost to the Visit FLA add folks. So to say, the city is not in a hurry.  That's 180 from the truth.  If the city had their way, the last plan would have been accepted and it'd be under construction by now.

Edited by cwetteland

1 hour ago, cwetteland said:

Actually a few months ago when the tourist tax board or whatever, proposed a plan to get a bunch of projects going including phase II, it was the city that was ready to jump on it.  It was the county (Jacobs) that said, slow down.  "Let's take a look at this."  I think her big objection was the big boost to the Visit FLA add folks. So to say, the city is not in a hurry.  That's 180 from the truth.  If the city had their way, the last plan would have been accepted and it'd be under construction by now.

You're somewhat right. The CFHLA proposal wasn't thoroughly thought out, and Maladecki has said as much. There was a big boost in there to Visit Orlando, without saying what it would buy, and cultural projects were included without much thought as to community need, readiness, etc. I don't think anyone was ready to jump on the package as proposed--there were major needs that had been left out--but Dyer was ready to start committing money to projects.

I think that the fundamental difference is that Jacobs wants to spend TDT as it is collected, and Dyer is ready to take out new bonds. Almost all incremental TDT coming in over a 2% annual increase is going directly to the City. This was designed to service the debt on Amway Center, DPAC, and Citrus Bowl, but with the growth in TDT collections over the past few years, these three projects are on track to be paid off early. Jacobs wants some of the incremental collection back under County control, and this makes sense (to me) as most of it is generated in the County.  Dyer glibly said to Jacobs basically to ask for TDT as she wanted to spend it, and the city would gladly give it to her.