Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

I'd rather see a signature tower or towers with smart street level space than green space right there.  the definition of new green space in the CBD = failed real estate deals.

they already have the open air plaza down the middle.

Orange Ave and Anderson are two expressway access streets with expressway ramps within a block of the Dpac, and another one or two a couple blocks further.  it's not an isolated part of downtown.  it's too urban; its too "fast".  The CNL building needs to go in that SW parcel as a buffer.  When they build it, they need a skywalk over orange into CNL #1 so you can walk all the way from Boone to the Dpac without getting wet or run over.  Or, us CNL #3's garage opposite Anderson ala another skywalk.

As for the hotel parcel in the NW, they need a Grand Bohemian-sized property there.

When all of that mixed use density settles in, it will make the Dpac experience so much better with so many more supporting venues adjacent to it, because right now, it is more or less isolated for an entire city block.

• Like 1

I fall on the "build something" side of this debate. A big open grass field in Orlando is just an outdoor tanning bed. I feel like what makes an Orlando park great is the tree canopy, lush vegetation and wildlife. A grass field in an urban center is just a gigantic manufactured green rectangle. It doesn't really feel like a "park" to me.

I think that "alley" feel that some have talked about with towers going in would actually be a good thing. It could feel cozy, and really provide a nice supporting environment for the arts center. If you drive down Orange when a play is letting out, you just see hundreds of people walking down empty city blocks without retail to shop in, restaurants to eat in or bars to drink at. These people don't have to walk up Orange, or down Church or over to Central to get to their cars. They just go to their car and leave. I think having a small sub-neighborhood around here would work well and keep more $$$ flowing into the downtown economy.

• Like 2

All good responses.  I think I'm in the middle.  If it becomes something *cool*... aka Museum of Art or an alley that becomes a mini neighborhood of shops/restaurants like East 4th in Cleveland or a Gateway in Columbus (aka a grown up Wall St)... then build!  Otherwise, leave it green

After-East-4th-3.jpg

gateway.jpg

• Like 2

Like Jackson Square in New Orleans, this is essentially Orlando's front door.  With the former in mind (and it's similarly brutal summers), I think we could draw some inspiration from it's design--replace those palm trees with oaks or cypress, and bookend the plaza with buildings that incorporate balconies and/or colonnades for shade.

Jackson Square:

https://goo.gl/maps/HKvhAhXLBqs

1 hour ago, prahaboheme said:

Like Jackson Square in New Orleans, this is essentially Orlando's front door.  With the former in mind (and it's similarly brutal summers), I think we could draw some inspiration from it's design--replace those palm trees with oaks or cypress, and bookend the plaza with buildings that incorporate balconies and/or colonnades for shade.

I agree with you on the colonnades and balconies. Still, when looking at Jackson Square, all the action is taking place on the paved area between the park and the church; almost no one is in the park itself and even fewer people are on the grass.  

I do like a hybrid approach: a mostly paved area with planting beds for large shade trees. Kind of gives you that beer garden feeling.

16 minutes ago, alex said:

I do like a hybrid approach: a mostly paved area with planting beds for large shade trees. Kind of gives you that beer garden feeling.

I think "The Green" in Charlotte is a great example of this in a Sunbelt city. https://goo.gl/maps/bpgqKQTDev72

Incidentally, also anchored by a museum campus and a performing arts space.

2 hours ago, alex said:

I agree with you on the colonnades and balconies. Still, when looking at Jackson Square, all the action is taking place on the paved area between the park and the church; almost no one is in the park itself and even fewer people are on the grass.  

We are agreeing. I'm suggesting that we build out the master plan to the vision of the architect, which was the bookend the plaza with parcels that had colonnades. I believe he referenced Italian piazzas as inspiration. I was merely pointing to a regional example. 

I haven't noticed anyone using the plaza or green space outside of lingering before events. This definitely needs to be built out to its original vision.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Boomer136 said:

Steinmetz Hall is all the hardscape I desire right now. It seems we'll have a second round of Citrus Bowl improvements before we get that. Build them now-ish....

Yeah really. The last update I can find on this was in September:

"The timetable calls for completing fundraising in 2016 with a projected ground breaking in spring of 2016 and opening in 2019."

https://www.drphillipscenter.org/explore/about-the-dr-phillips-center/news/20952-two-new-major-corporate-gifts-and-phase-2-philanthropy-update-announced.stml

We need more heroes to build statues of.  Of course, that's hard when this was a one-horse town until 40 years ago.  Doubly so when your typical old-school figures of note either were on the losing side of the war OR in wars with Native Americans that are extremely unpopular these days.

On 4/3/2016 at 5:46 PM, JFW657 said:

Weren't they talking about some sort of school for the arts on the property as well? Why not combine them and build something big enough to house the museum, the school and some restaurant/retail?

I'm thinking an all around arts school including drama, music and visual arts including painting, photography and film. Maybe even sculpture and pottery. That should be good for about three or four floors right above two or three devoted to the museum with the ground floor as restaurant and retail. Maybe even add two or three floors up above everything else for office space. 

DPAC already has a school for the arts and OCPS is poised to build a school on the back half of the property. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2016 at 1:54 PM, RedStar25 said:

DPAC already has a school for the arts and OCPS is poised to build a school on the back half of the property. 

Yeah, I know about the magnet high school for the performing arts that is still being planned for the northeast corner, but I was talking about something different. I'd like to see something much bigger and more all encompassing, that would include other forms of art aside from performance based. And since it has yet to be built or finalized, and likely won't be for awhile, I was just opining about how I would like to see such a school, but one that wasn't limited to one field of art or one age group (high school students).

basically, I'd like to see a community art school that taught several different forms of art and worked in conjunction with the Orlando Museum of Art and which would all be contained in the same building right there on Orange Ave as part of the main plaza.

On 4/3/2016 at 5:46 PM, JFW657 said:

Weren't they talking about some sort of school for the arts on the property as well? Why not combine them and build something big enough to house the museum, the school and some restaurant/retail?

I'm thinking an all around arts school including drama, music and visual arts including painting, photography and film. Maybe even sculpture and pottery. That should be good for about three or four floors right above two or three devoted to the museum with the ground floor as restaurant and retail. Maybe even add two or three floors up above everything else for office space. 

Right. I want that too. OCPS is just trying to jump the gun because other organizations have already expressed interest in building an arts school on that site. The OCPS school would (or would like to be) be all art forms, as you mentioned. It would also be our first high rise school built above a parking garage. 

On 4/7/2016 at 8:21 PM, JFW657 said:

Yeah, I know about the magnet high school for the performing arts that is still being planned for the northeast corner, but I was talking about something different. I'd like to see something much bigger and more all encompassing, that would include other forms of art aside from performance based. And since it has yet to be built or finalized, and likely won't be for awhile, I was just opining about how I would like to see such a school, but one that wasn't limited to one field of art or one age group (high school students).

basically, I'd like to see a community art school that taught several different forms of art and worked in conjunction with the Orlando Museum of Art and which would all be contained in the same building right there on Orange Ave as part of the main plaza.

I've been told once the Parramore school opens Howard Middle will become a performing arts school.

4 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

I'm confused.  I said ******?

No, I was going to reply to your previous post a few days ago, but decided not to. For some reason, your quote would appear every time I tried to respond to any other post and on my Android tablet, I could not delete it. So rather than have your quote in a reply to someone else, I deleted the text out if it and replaced it with asterisks.

I think that finally cleared it out.

Edited by JFW657

2 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

I've been told once the Parramore school opens Howard Middle will become a performing arts school.

Driving by Howard Middle the other day, I saw a banner that said something like "Performing Arts Magnet." Looking at the school's OCPS site, it looks like it's an "Academy for the Visual and Performing Arts" and is part of "Florida Arts Model Schools: Dance, Music, Visual Arts." From the History page:

Howard continues to be a leader in the field of education.  In October, 2011 the Orange County School Board designated Howard as a magnet school.  The Academy for the Visual and Performing Arts will lead students on a path toward creative and academic excellence and prepare them for successful high school and college careers.

45 minutes ago, alex said:

Driving by Howard Middle the other day, I saw a banner that said something like "Performing Arts Magnet." Looking at the school's OCPS site, it looks like it's an "Academy for the Visual and Performing Arts" and is part of "Florida Arts Model Schools: Dance, Music, Visual Arts." From the History page:

Howard continues to be a leader in the field of education.  In October, 2011 the Orange County School Board designated Howard as a magnet school.  The Academy for the Visual and Performing Arts will lead students on a path toward creative and academic excellence and prepare them for successful high school and college careers.

That's all great and all, but it will still be for kids only.

I'm just of the opinion that we could use a good all around arts school for adults in the general public. Having it operate in conjunction with the Orlando Museum of Art could present some unique opportunities. Having it all self contained in a downtown building that is part of the DPAC complex would really tie it all together.

Seems that way to me, anyway.

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

I'm just of the opinion that we could use a good all around arts school for adults in the general public.

Is there an example of that anywhere? I've never heard of a dedicated adult arts school. Seems like adults interested in taking art, dance, or acting classes would go to a specific (usually privately run) school like Crealde, SAK, or a dance school.