Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

yeah one year to complete the drawings for a building that are supposedly completely designed and cut in half....and new bidding process?? don't you want the same people that do the phase 1 to do phase 2 as well for efficientcy..

I like that they are taking the opportunity for incorporating lessons learned, like the paucity of backstage restrooms, and the freight elevator that stops on the 5th floor of a 7 technical floor stage house. . Also many of the contractors that started out, went under during Phase 1 and I for one would like to see some other contractors give it a shot to see if they could do a better job.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't understand how the Round Building fiasco is not a bigger story in our local media.  From what I can tell, an experienced company had the best bid, then the city completely changed the scope and gave it to a much less experienced company, who subsequently went over the timeline and budget and finally walked away.  The city has had a huge eyesore in front of it's half billion dollar jewel for months, and the background of how this company got the job at all seems incredibly fishy...with all of the "silly" investigative journalism in our region ("see how ridges on your starbucks cup lid are costing you PENNIES more!!!") How come no one has really found out why they changed the scope and pushed the contract to this clearly overmatched company?

• Like 2

Agreed. This is a very odd situation. This should be a huge story since it is in front of DPAC. 

Oh, I don't know.

We all know that site will be cleaned up before too long. Once it's all gone, the hole filled & the site landscaped, it will all be forgotten.

Annoying? Yes. But not really something that the media needs to harp endlessly on about, IMO.

Besides, why give ammunition to the naysayers who opposed it to begin with?

By naysayers, I assume you are referring to those who preferred a proper reuse of the Round Building rather than bulldozing over Orlando's mid-century history?

Personally, I am loving the painstaking process that it has taken to remove this building from Orlando's history books.  It will not be forgotten.

• Like 1

Oh, I don't know.

We all know that site will be cleaned up before too long. Once it's all gone, the hole filled & the site landscaped, it will all be forgotten.

Annoying? Yes. But not really something that the media needs to harp endlessly on about, IMO.

heheheh, you said 'ammunition'...

• Like 1

Oh, I don't know.

I think he means tearing it down at all.

By naysayers, I assume you are referring to those who preferred a proper reuse of the Round Building rather than bulldozing over Orlando's mid-century history?

Personally, I am loving the painstaking process that it has taken to remove this building from Orlando's history books.  It will not be forgotten.

Actually I meant the naysayers who were against ever building the DPAC to begin with.

Any amount of extra attention the media pays to any problem, snafu or possible extra cost involved with anything to do with the entire project, just gives those who were against spending public dollars on something they considered unnecessary, reason to think they were right & to say "We told you so".

Personally I would have liked to see that round building remodeled & reused, but it wasn't. 

That hole in the ground will go away soon enough & a year from now, few people will remember the delays or the temporary eyesore it created.

heheheh, you said 'ammunition'...

Heh heh.... didn't even think of that. 

Edited by JFW657

I guess I meant more along the lines of the procurement process the city used to choose the demo company.  It sure seems like they had their hearts set on using the company they did rather than the one with a lot more experience. My gripe is more with the odd choices our local media makes when deciding what is a "big" issue...I agree that people will eventually forget the eyesore - remember the broken Lake Eola fountain?

• 4 weeks later...

"UCF celebrates the arts" is happening this week at DPAC - it's been refreshing seeing a ton of college students downtown while it's still light out. Probably only going from their car to the gig but it makes me excited for Downtown UCF to one day become a reality.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So what happens to Dr. Phillips...High School?  I keep hearing whispers of this DPAC performing arts magnet, without any reference to the fact that Orange County already has one.  I think that this has great synergistic potential, but it seems odd that no one is mentioning anything about the fact that OCPS already has a long-standing and reputable performing arts magnet.  

So what happens to Dr. Phillips...High School?  I keep hearing whispers of this DPAC performing arts magnet, without any reference to the fact that Orange County already has one.  I think that this has great synergistic potential, but it seems odd that no one is mentioning anything about the fact that OCPS already has a long-standing and reputable performing arts magnet.

I imagine DPHS would change the focus of their magnet program to another subject.

Obviously they wouldn't need two & with a world class PAC centrally located in downtown, why keep it at a HS campus in the SW part of town?

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 1

There should be more than 400 high schoolers in this town across all the disciplines for DPHS to continue to be a magnet. The new high school idea seems more like "Fame", no sports, and a small community of arts only students. Totally different from DPHS who also has a large general population.

• Like 1

Orange County Public Schools serves 176,000+ students, so a new 400-person school shouldn't affect DPHS's arts programs. 

I'm excited to see an urban high school in Orlando.  It'll give kids a totally different experience and hopefully get more families to live in the downtown area.  Together with UCF, Valencia, Creative Village, the Parramore School, and obviously DPAC, it paints a picture of a creative city that cares about education (or however Project DTO put it...). 

With the new hotel, this high school, and Phase II in serious talks, those lots along South Street should be filled up in a few years.