Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

24 minutes ago, alex said:

Is there an example of that anywhere? I've never heard of a dedicated adult arts school. Seems like adults interested in taking art, dance, or acting classes would go to a specific (usually privately run) school like Crealde, SAK, or a dance school.

Just because it hasn't been done yet doesn't necessarily mean it shouldn't or couldn't.

Just seemed like an interesting idea to me.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 0:49 PM, JFW657 said:

psb: "I've been told once the Parramore school opens Howard Middle will become a performing arts school."

Interesting.

I wonder where the downtown and Thornton Park kids would go to school.

My daughter is supposed to go to the new Lake Como K-8 in 2 years, I don't like not giving preference to locals. I live 3 blocks from Howard and instead may have to send her 3 miles to Lake Como.

On April 5, 2016 at 1:44 PM, HankStrong said:

We need more heroes to build statues of.  Of course, that's hard when this was a one-horse town until 40 years ago.  Doubly so when your typical old-school figures of note either were on the losing side of the war OR in wars with Native Americans that are extremely unpopular these days.

Since we are the city beautiful, maybe statues or fountains that represent beauty such as a swan..they are everywhere in Lake Eola. We can place it by the DPAC. A nice giant swan with a rose in its beak, since a rose also symbolizes beauty. Place it in a traffic circle to make it a focal point...I think it would compliment the DPAC nicely.image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Urban Mail Carrier
Wanted to complete my thought
  • Like 2

Cant Magnolia Ave become this alley way or gateway for people to stroll...I dont believe converting the greendpace at the DPAC into what you're suggesting would  be necessary since Magnolia Ave can easily serve that function..

On April 4, 2016 at 1:37 PM, AndyPok1 said:

All good responses.  I think I'm in the middle.  If it becomes something *cool*... aka Museum of Art or an alley that becomes a mini neighborhood of shops/restaurants like East 4th in Cleveland or a Gateway in Columbus (aka a grown up Wall St)... then build!  Otherwise, leave it green

After-East-4th-3.jpg

gateway.jpg

A recent development in Boston has me thinking about the DPAC parcels.

The Boston Haymarket:

Screen-Shot-2016-04-11-at-3.36.17-PM-e14

I think a building of this style (contemporary with nodes to traditional design) would serve the surrounding area well (ie City Hall's post modern design, Grand Bohemian's neo-classical exterior).  The ground level interior could be an active market, perhaps a mix of a public market and an downtown version of the East End Market.  Perhaps the developer could court Eataly to open in the space.  An interior/exterior space like this would also help serve the actual plaza, where people would more likely linger and make better use of it than they do right now. 

• Like 1

Something like this is what a lot of us meant by keeping the space open as a plaza, I think.  Personally, I was not implying that it should be kept as a barren "green space" without trees.  I meant an active plaza type environment with features that actually draw foot traffic and promote gathering.  A market type concept along with DPAC and an art museum would combine synergistically to create a place where patrons of each would cross over to others and a real destination would thrive with activity.  This makes a whole lot more sense than a hotel and an office building with maybe ground floor retail in an alley.  I really like the canopied open areas and tying the "outside" into the building.  Combine this with open colonnade or arcade type frontage on adjacent buildings similar to overhang on the DPAC design and you end up with an active space instead of a sterile destination that is only used at certain times for patrons of the hotel, DPAC, or local office workers at lunch.

^^

I like the traffic circle(s) idea.  It gives importance to the specific intersection where it's placed.

^^

the market type concept could work.  But the office and hotel with ground floor retail et al would not necessarily create an "alley", because that central plaza is pretty wide.  The City won't approve anything that ruins the dpac experience I don't think.  But this is all moot since the economy dictates what goes up and when, as we know.

• Like 1

YEAH I can almost visualize the Orlando city and Orlando Magic fans rush to this traffic circle in celebration when we hoist the MLS cup or NBA title..it would truly be the regions focal point.

I love the market idea!!! Every good city has one...Philadelphia has Reading terminal, Toronto has the  St. Lawrence Market, but I'm not sure next to the DPAC would be appropriate for our market. I would  instead place it underneath I4 and try to make it work with the planned Park or next to Central Station in that empty lot across the street from the courthouse..That particular location would  feed off the pedestrian traffic from the terminal and train station and also from the UCF campus 2 blocks away.

Edited by Urban Mail Carrier
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Urban Mail Carrier said:

I love the market idea!!! Every good city has one...Philadelphia has Reading terminal, Toronto has the  St. Lawrence Market, but I'm not sure next to the DPAC would be appropriate for our market. I would  instead place it underneath I4 and try to make it work with the planned Park or next to Central Station in that empty lot across the street from the courthouse..That particular location would  feed off the pedestrian traffic from the terminal and train station and also from the UCF campus 2 blocks away.

I tend to agree that the DPAC plaza and a markeplace are not the best mix. I dunno. Seems like DPAC would tend to attract the more upscale, evening gown and tuxedo crowd whereas a marketplace would likely tend to attract a more casual, jeans and t-shirt crowd. Certainly a decent restaurant or some walk in type eateries like maybe an ice cream shop, etc, etc, should be on the ground floor of whatever ends up going on that site.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Glad to see the Christmas village thing...I had been suggesting that to friends that work in the city even before DPAC was built. I told them we need a Xmas village at Lake Eola instead of a plastic "ice-skating" rink.

As for the parcels in front of DPAC, I think it is too small for Art Museum. If the museum is going to be any significant museum with striking architecture feature, it needs to stand alone. In my opinions, one of the parcel should be transformed into an amphitheater and the other parcel should be an outdoor art display. The amphitheater can divert people from Lake Eola over here and we can tear down the one at Lake Eola to create more park space. The new amphitheater can act like the "Times Square" of Orlando for New Year countdown and special events like outdoor concert to keep with the theme of art.

The other parcel that display art...I would like to see some actual art such as the "Chicago Bean" or the crown fountain. We can out a chrome Orange there...

kveus3801s.jpg

As for the marketplace, I always think this building in downtown should be transformed into a "Chelsea Market" or plant street market

13838890184_c2d1f3d788_z.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Don't think this has been posted anywhere yet but they are going to use the plaza to host a big Christmas village this winter. Should help bring people downtown so I like it.

http://christmasvillageorlando.com/

I haven't seen this and was excited...then I saw the ticket prices:

Get unlimited admission to Christmas Village Orlando from Nov. 26, 2016 to Jan 1, 2017 for one low price.

• 5 and under: free
  • 6 -12: $10
  • 13 and over: $15
  • Military with valid ID: $10
  • 65 and over with valid ID: $10
  • Students with valid student ID: $10

I guess nobody told them that German Christmas markets don't charge a cover...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, alex said:

Get unlimited admission to Christmas Village Orlando from Nov. 26, 2016 to Jan 1, 2017 for one low price.

We have a free marketplace --- Artegon Marketplace

Not a terrible price of you live close and the programming warrants attending multiple times.

For Orlando's part, I'd love to see them add classic holiday lighting from the star on Orange Ave near Pine south to this village and City Hall.    Sort of like Main Street Disney.   SoDo did this last year and it really looked great.

Edited by Jernigan
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, castorvx said:

GREAT idea. But it should be free. What about parking? That's going to cost people, too. 

Special event parking, which includes anything that isn't a typical weeknight with nothing going on, costs $10. Add to that the $10 admission and you've dropped $20 just to enter the gate. I'd be shocked if the admission price included any food.

I would guess that a sausage is probably a good $7. Beer, wine or cider is probably at least $5 and I'm guessing around $3 for a strudel. So for one person just to park in a garage, enter the gate, buy a sausage, a beverage and a strudel you're probably looking at around $35.

Hey Orlando, guess what you can do with your ripoff Christmas Village... 

3 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

I'm curious as to what you get included.

You get about $35 or $40 poorer.

14 minutes ago, GTR said:

Well if ticket prices help them to finally replace that gravel pit litterbox with the fountain we were promised I'm all for it. 

God I hate that gravel. When it rains the walkways become a total mess. I'd like to know the thought process of whomever chose that material.

23 hours ago, alex said:

In their defense, the space is not free to rent. They are trying to recoup their rental cost. 

7 hours ago, jack said:

In their defense, the space is not free to rent. They are trying to recoup their rental cost. 

True. And you only have to pay once for about 5 weeks of unlimited admission.

But on the other hand, you just know everything they sell there will be exorbitantly expensive.

The closest I'll ever get is walking past it.