Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

The GB expansion is a good idea, especially if it was a new tower connected to the current one by an enclosed walkway (even a multi level one) across South St. 

The parking garage is a good idea in terms of utilizing the space with something that's needed there, but I wonder how appropriate a parking garage would be right there out in front of the PAC like that. 

Outside of office buildings, hotels and condos, there are not many uses for a high rise building that I can think of.

I suppose that as long as phase 2 of DPAC gets built it wouldn't be too horrible to just leave it as it is until a private developer comes along ready to build something nice there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

if they keep the green space, they could consider a subterrainian parking deck ala Union Square, SF.

so, is CNL 3 the next tower to go up?

Not sure, but I don't think you can go down that deep in Florida because of the high water table.

Same reason why you don't see basements here.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2016 at 8:46 PM, JFW657 said:

Not sure, but I don't think you can go down that deep in Florida because of the high water table.

Same reason why you don't see basements here.

There are several underground parking garages downtown. They also have massive pumping systems in place in case water rises. First Methodist has a huge underground parking garage and it has an active spring under it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RedStar25 said:

There are several underground parking garages downtown. They also have massive pumping systems in place in case water rises. First Methodist has a huge underground parking garage and it has an active spring under it. 

How many floors below ground are the ones you're talking about though? I know the one at SunTrust is only one floor deep. Sounded like you were talking multiple floors. 

16 hours ago, JFW657 said:

How many floors below ground are the ones you're talking about though? I know the one at SunTrust is only one floor deep. Sounded like you were talking multiple floors. 

Ah, sorry. Only about one floor. The ceiling height is around 10' or more. Downtown has some of the worst land to build on. Look at the amount of foundation work at CITI Tower. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well this could be a gamechanger.  

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-hotel-industry-bed-tax-plan-20160401-story.html

Summary: President of CFH&LA (with the purported blessing of Disney, Universal and Sea World) proposes using increasing collections from the TDT to finish DPAC, further support Orlando Phil, Ballet, Science Center, proceed with additional upgrades to Citrus Bowl, set up capital improvement funds for DPAC, Amway and Citrus Bowl, etc.  Wow! 

• Like 2

Stands to reason that the more things of interest we have to attract visitors, the better it will be for the hotel, lodging and tourism industry as a whole, so why not invest money into these downtown projects? 

The tourist corridor is not the only part of town that hotels are located.

I'd be happy to see anything there as long as they don't use that horrible "Ramada Inn" looking design that was proposed previously. Gotta say that I find it surprising there's talk of building another hotel there with the GB and aloft so close by. 

I'd just as soon see another building there that was somehow related to the arts, performing or otherwise.

Weren't they talking about some sort of school for the arts on the property as well? Why not combine them and build something big enough to house the museum, the school and some restaurant/retail?

I'm thinking an all around arts school including drama, music and visual arts including painting, photography and film. Maybe even sculpture and pottery. That should be good for about three or four floors right above two or three devoted to the museum with the ground floor as restaurant and retail. Maybe even add two or three floors up above everything else for office space. 

I like the green space...unless the alternative is the museum of art. If it was a hotel or office building, I'd much rather have the green space. However, having the museum of art next to the performing arts center would really create an all-day arts destination downtown.

• Like 4

I like the green space currently too.  The renderings I have seen of the Dr. Phillips Center with developed hotels on either side of that parcel make it looked hemmed in and turn it into more of an alley than a space for gathering on a human scale.  I think putting multi-story buildings on either side would be a mistake, but that was the way it has been planned since the beginning.  I am kind of glad the hotel fell through.  Ideally, the green space would stay open, and a museum could go adjacent to it.  Perhaps they could acquire the lot directly to the south next to the 408/across from Aloft(old OUC building).  That would turn the whole area into a "civic plaza" with City Hall, the Performing Arts Center, and the Museum of Art all centered around the green space.  The space could then be used for art festivals, outdoor concerts, etc, throughout the year.  I don't see why they feel the need to put another hotel on that property, considering you have Grand Bohemian, Aloft, and soon to be Tremont Tower all within a block of there.

• Like 1