Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

I am concerned that Jacobs wants to scale this back at the expense of the local arts groups. We don't need another compromised theater like the Bob Carr. "Build it right" for art's sake. I also hope that this is not the end of the gifts to come as hinted by Kathy Ramsberger. Disney? Darden? Harriett Lake? Suddenly the goal seems more attainable now.

Hopefully the two buildings in the front of the DPAC will be built too. They are supposed to help pay for the operation cost of the DPAC.

If they are indeed necessary to offset costs then build them by all means but I would much rather prefer the block across DPAC to remain park land like Bryant Park in NYC.  We have no space like it in Orlando.

If they are indeed necessary to offset costs then build them by all means but I would much rather prefer the block across DPAC to remain park land like Bryant Park in NYC.  We have no space like it in Orlando.

I would love to see that.

And they have nothing in NYC like Lake Eola, or Disney World, or Universal Studios, or tree lined streets.  Sorry to jump on the very first post to UP.

I am concerned that Jacobs wants to scale this back at the expense of the local arts groups. We don't need another compromised theater like the Bob Carr. "Build it right" for art's sake. I also hope that this is not the end of the gifts to come as hinted by Kathy Ramsberger. Disney? Darden? Harriett Lake? Suddenly the goal seems more attainable now.

Jacobs' remarks about cost savings are definitely a concern. My guess is the "multi-form" aspect of the 3rd theater is what will be targeted in some way.

Jacobs' remarks about cost savings are definitely a concern. My guess is the "multi-form" aspect of the 3rd theater is what will be targeted in some way.

Wasn't at the presser so don't quote me on this, but my understanding is that Jacobs was referring to the cost savings of continuing construction without taking a break in between phases (for example, as Phase I is completed work would immediately being on Phase II, allowing equipment, workers, etc. to remain on site.) Continuing construction would also guarantee that materials and equipment would remain at today's prices (whereas it's always assumed the cost of labor and materials would be more expensive in the future).

Wasn't at the presser so don't quote me on this, but my understanding is that Jacobs was referring to the cost savings of continuing construction without taking a break in between phases (for example, as Phase I is completed work would immediately being on Phase II, allowing equipment, workers, etc. to remain on site.) Continuing construction would also guarantee that materials and equipment would remain at today's prices (whereas it's always assumed the cost of labor and materials would be more expensive in the future).

I understood it the same.

That savings is only to prevent the project from becoming more expensive. The original goal still needs to be met. The comment on cost cutting has to do with the remaining 40M that still needs to be raised to meet the original Phase II goal. She wants to cut that figure in half so they can start construction. Any sort of cut to the original funding goal means something will be compromised. See the end of this article:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-04-01/news/os-dr-phillips-arts-funding-20130401_1_final-phase-arts-center-jacobs

Yep, here is the site plan:

http://drphillipscenter.org/progress/site_plan

I'm anxious to see what type of private development will bookend the plaza, and how it will all be incorporated into the larger design for the plaza and arts center.  Whatever the plan, I hope it has an emphasis on outdoor restaurant seating.

If we are going to bring something NY-inspired to our downtown open spaces, I'd love to see something akin to a Shake Shack:

shake_shack_manhattan.jpg

• Like 1

That savings is only to prevent the project from becoming more expensive. The original goal still needs to be met. The comment on cost cutting has to do with the remaining 40M that still needs to be raised to meet the original Phase II goal. She wants to cut that figure in half so they can start construction. Any sort of cut to the original funding goal means something will be compromised. See the end of this article:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-04-01/news/os-dr-phillips-arts-funding-20130401_1_final-phase-arts-center-jacobs

That's Jacobs' standard M.O. Whenever the county ponies up funds for anything she has to trot out her fiscal conservative schtick.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. Jacobs came into office with high expectations. At best, she's underperformed. At worst, she's badly mishandled several political hot potatoes and could be facing stiff competition next election (Val Demings is rumored as a possible candidate for OC Mayor) and it's unlikely she would take on what could be an unpopular idea of making further cuts to DPAC.

An interesting piece that ran in today's Times about a lack of focus on the Ground Zero PAC.  http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/03/arts/music/questions-on-ground-zero-arts-center-left-unanswered.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

I am afraid that the mid- and smaller-sized venues may suffer from some of the lack of focus the author cites as a big problem for the New York project. Many things are different between the two projects including potential tenants and alternate spaces, but this line has been echoing in my head all day: "Interdisciplinary is often the word invoked when an arts center lacks focus and a mission: think of arts complex as rental space. One thing institutions should have learned by now from a history of sorry experiences is that when an arts building is designed to be adaptable to everything, it can wind up being not especially good for anything."

• Like 1

An interesting piece that ran in today's Times about a lack of focus on the Ground Zero PAC.  http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/03/arts/music/questions-on-ground-zero-arts-center-left-unanswered.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

I am afraid that the mid- and smaller-sized venues may suffer from some of the lack of focus the author cites as a big problem for the New York project. Many things are different between the two projects including potential tenants and alternate spaces, but this line has been echoing in my head all day: "Interdisciplinary is often the word invoked when an arts center lacks focus and a mission: think of arts complex as rental space. One thing institutions should have learned by now from a history of sorry experiences is that when an arts building is designed to be adaptable to everything, it can wind up being not especially good for anything."

Well I could see that being a problem in NYC where there are countless historic venues and beautiful performance halls to choose from, but that couldn't be further from our predicament. DPAC will be by far the most desirable venue in the region to perform in.

Well I could see that being a problem in NYC where there are countless historic venues and beautiful performance halls to choose from, but that couldn't be further from our predicament. DPAC will be by far the most desirable venue in the region to perform in.

The other difference is that the DPAC multi-form hall does have foci. The needs of the OPO, the OB, and the now defunct OO were the drivers in design. I have always referred to the two main halls from the standpoint of sound, the broadway house as the amplified house and the multi-form as the acoustic hall. Opera, symphonies, and ballets (with an orchestra) are all acoustic so it makes sense for the audience area to be the same. But as opera and ballet needs a fly house and pit, and for orchestras fly houses cause problems, that is the reason for the multi-forming, most of which happens around the pit area.

All that being said, people do weird things in spaces. I've worked in a number of multi-use, really multi-useless, spaces and all the time I see someone rent a proscenium house and build out a thrust and others take a thrust stage and make a faux proscenium.

• 1 month later...

Here are a few photos from the DPAC site that a friend who went on a tour is allowing me to post.

8730801131_42b89f4b2f_c.jpg

Friends of the Philharmonic waiting for the tour to begin

8730801187_0cbfae10da_c.jpg

From the North

8731923082_2c5a331e01_c.jpg

"The Wave Wall" really shows the seperation between the lobby area and the theatre faces.  This is looking North across the Disney Theatre.

8730801269_1308a9d1fc_c.jpg

Steelwork.

8731923176_a4f0eda8c7_c.jpg

The Site of Phase 2/Multiform Hall for the Philharmonic and Ballet

8731923222_c0416e48c0_c.jpg

The Grand Staircase in the Lobby.

8730801293_cb8b08b279_c.jpg

An entrance into the Jim and Alexis Pugh Theatre - The small 300-seat space.

The next couple are official DPAC photos from their facebook.  They poured the floor of the Disney Theatre on Friday.  Photos by Douglas J. Nesbitt

179964_10151572186857020_1948326050_n.jp

408510_10151572186872020_1237137531_n.jp

• Like 4