Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

Here is the MPB -- a small portion of Magnolia will be abandoned to accommodate the DPAC front entrance, but you can also see in the plans where the streets will be preserved and realigned.

http://www.cityoforlando.net/planning/cityplanning/MPB/2011%20MPB%20Agenda%20Minute%20%26%20Staff%20Reports/April/ABN2011-00001%20Magnolia%20Avenue%20Abandonment%20MPB%20report.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

I did a quick walk around the DPAC site this afternoon at lunch time and took some photos.  It started to rain, so some of them are quite hurried, but you get the idea.

8389229407_553f68cc0b_n.jpg

From Magnolia near Church

8390313816_b68849e42b.jpg

South and Magnolia

8389228751_3d7165577c.jpg

"The FUMCO Curve"

8390312606_37c9291cf1.jpg

From the NE Corner

8389223527_78391e9aae.jpg

New Streetscaping

8389227839_900c781012.jpg

The stage house for the amplified "Broadway" hall on the left, and the 300-seat "Community" venue on the right (with orange construction fencing.)

8390311930_80a86119bc.jpg

From the SE Corner. Here's where you get an idea of how massive this building is.  

8390311716_5f75096bf0.jpg

This matches up roughly with the "School of the Arts" rendering posted by uncreativeusername above.  Notice how the stage house is almost completely poured before the surrounding building goes up.

8390311608_d0d7d8fd92.jpg

8389226769_042d28d0c7_z.jpg

The awning extends - or at least feels like it extends - out over Anderson.

8389225573_7b6c3eba39_z.jpg

8389224737_3ce430b260_z.jpg

What appears to be masonry samples at the base of the round building.

More Here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/51228707@N05/

Awesome pictures, you beat me to it! I was going to go this evening before I go into work. I go past this place a couple times a day and have been watching the progress. Nice to see moving cranes and construction workers hanging a hundred feet in the air. This thing is going to be nice, especially when they build up the hotels and other buildings. What are the plans with the round building though? In my opinion it needs to go, and put up another office tower.

Maybe someone can help me out here. This may have been discussed already, if so sorry for rehashing...

Looking at the renderings, elevations & the fly-thru, then looking at what is on the webcam, it seems that they have not built the north end of the building all the way out yet. Why would they (not) do that?

dpac03.jpg

In the renderings, etc., the entrance is in the center of the building. What is there now, seems to have the entrance shoved over toward the north end. And if you count the trusses in the rendrings. etc., there are 14. The building as it is has only 10 or 11....

I know it's being built in phases, so... is the northern end of the main building part of phase 2, or has it been scaled back from the original plans, or.....what? :dontknow:

Correct. There is an ambitious campaign underway to raise money for phase II and apparently it's going pretty well. Last I heard they were close to $30M raised. 

Personally I would shelve the Citrus Bowl renovations until DPAC is completed and then focus on total replacement of the Citrus Bowl.... but I have a seriously biased opinion on this subject.  

• Like 1

That will be phase 2, to include the 3rd theatre. There wasn't enough funds raised at groundbreaking for the entire project. I do believe the plan is to break ground on phase 2 after a fundraising effort this year.
That's kinda odd, considering we're only talking about maybe 50' of building. You wouldn't think obtaining the additional funds for such a relatively small portion of it would've been such an insurmountable task. Plus, going back & adding it on later will be considerably more expensive than having just built it from the git-go. I figured the second phase would be another major project involving a totally separate building. Oh well, it is what it is I guess.

I'll take a guess at it. Because the multi-form hall has wells for chair wagons and lifts so the main orchestra seating can become a flat floor, and these wells extend (according to the '08 plans) +30' below street level with the Magnolia side wall extending under the lobby area, I suppose all that site work needs to be completed before they build the lobby area.

1700Hall_zpse4b43fb5.png

I'll take a guess at it. Because the multi-form hall has wells for chair wagons and lifts so the main orchestra seating can become a flat floor, and these wells extend (according to the '08 plans) +30' below street level with the Magnolia side wall extending under the lobby area, I suppose all that site work needs to be completed before they build the lobby area.  

That sounds like a reasonable explanation.

But it could be the other one too.

Guess we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

It's headed towards the scrap heap.

Although there were plans to save the concrete "lattice work" around the lower portion of the structure. I don't believe those have

http://www.rbr360.com/winners.htm

Any word from the Mayor's Office on saving the concrete brise soleil?  Some of these entries are downright awesome!