Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

The city is at risk of losing a billion dollar revenue stream if the Citrus Bowl is left for decay. Florida Citrus Sports has been begging and pleading with the Bowl games not to jump ship on a decade-old promise that the Citrus Bowl will receive some much needed improvements. This needs to happen. There are other cities out there with better facilities waiting like hungry vultures to get these games. The only thing keeping these games in Orlando IS Orlando. Hardly a safe bet. It isn't about timing it to the completion of DPAC, or about monies being reallocated because of failed promises, it is about real cash that will go elsewhere if we do not act, and act now. This is about businesses downtown that will lose millions because Buddy, Teresa and Company failed to act.

• Like 1

The 6th cent is for sports and tourism advertising. Baseball, football, etc. As long as it is major sports. As for the City's $29 million, we will see what they actually spend. It would be great if they do spend $29, but i do not know where it is coming from. They are supposed to contribute the land. Land does not cost that much. Maybe a capitalized interest fund but that is just bond interest, not general fund. 

Can someone point in the direction that said they will spend $29 million? 

I thought the number was $10 million, not $29M. And that the $10M was in land and infrastructure (so not necessarily an out of pocket expense).

I don't have an exact number - I'll try to call tomorrow and get one. But United Arts is in trouble with their fund-raising and most of the smaller groups are all behind at the moment, and the last time I heard a number from a board member they were still quite a few million dollars off. Boomer, if you're online, do you know? Suffice it to say, the fact no one has said anything for months does not bode well. If they were close, they'd be trumpeting the fact to get over the finish line.

I haven't heard any exact amounts, I don't really run in the donor circles. United Arts is a problem long in the making. All the groups understood that UA would have to make the move on fund dispersal dates sooner or later to ensure UA's long term viability, its just never a good time.

The rumor mill says no stage II until at least 2017 .

I'm not going to lie, but the new performing arts center is starting to look weird because only half of the building in getting built. It looks incomplete because the 1 phrase looks so massive. The performing arts officials made it sound as if the 2 phrase will start soon after the 1 phrase got underway. I hope the funds come in soon to start the 2 phrase. I thought they had hundreds of donors to help fund it. Why can't they just borrow the rest of the money and pay it back in a percentage when major events starts coming in?

• Like 1

I haven't heard any exact amounts, I don't really run in the donor circles. United Arts is a problem long in the making. All the groups understood that UA would have to make the move on fund dispersal dates sooner or later to ensure UA's long term viability, its just never a good time.

The rumor mill says no stage II until at least 2017 .

Wow, not good. Terrible news!

I'm not going to lie, but the new performing arts center is starting to look weird because only half of the building in getting built. It looks incomplete because the 1 phrase looks so massive. The performing arts officials made it sound as if the 2 phrase will start soon after the 1 phrase got underway. I hope the funds come in soon to start the 2 phrase. I thought they had hundreds of donors to help fund it. Why can't they just borrow the rest of the money and pay it back in a percentage when major events starts coming in?

I don't think they can pay any of it back. That is why they are using TDT and CRA for debt. The events held at the center will be sued to pay operating dollars. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, in the article where it states:

"The $10 million gift, announced at a press conference March 29, will go toward the campaign to raise $75 million to complete the project, a 1,700-seat, multi-form theater, the future home of the Orlando Ballet and Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra."

Are they talking about the "Phase II" section that will be built on to the section under construction right now, or are they talking about a future separate structure (Phase III)?

So, in the article where it states:

"The $10 million gift, announced at a press conference March 29, will go toward the campaign to raise $75 million to complete the project, a 1,700-seat, multi-form theater, the future home of the Orlando Ballet and Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra."

Are they talking about the "Phase II" section that will be built on to the section under construction right now, or are they talking about a future separate structure (Phase III)?

While I can't claim any inside knowledge, from what I understand this is just for the 1,700 seat theater, rehearsal space, and associated back of house spaces.

Edited by Boomer136

Watching the Channel 9 News report, it sounds like they are talking about the third theater, which is Phase II. Kinda confusing. 

Katherine Ramsberger was also saying that there is even more funding in the works that will announced later.

She sounded pretty confident.

Here's a link to the WFTV page with video clip:

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/10m-donated-dr-phillips-center-performing-arts/nW7Qx/