Dr. P Phillips Orlando Performing Arts Center [Phase 2 Under Construction]

bic

• 1 month later...

Several of you expressed ideas about what should be included on the CNL Arts Plaza at DPAC, and they're asking in a survey for opinions:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CNLArtsPlazaSurvey?utm_source=wordfly&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=PlacemakingSurvey&utm_content=version_A

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, it seems I can't just copy paste URL's for some reason, but Mark Schlueb of the OS reported the brise soleil will be saved. Patty Sheehan has pledged a $70k budget to dismantle, truck/store, and re-install in some yet to be determined manner.

They had a pic of the original two story version.

post-14213-0-74697200-1389733535_thumb.j

• Like 2

I'll never understand why so many people hate this building so much. If I understand correctly; Winnie Palmer = good, American Federal Building = fugly? I would love to see it gutted and repurposed, maybe turn it into a restaurant with a rotating floor with tall glass ceilings.

My problem was never the original building - it was perfect for its site and the times. What I always found hideous was how the addition of the upper floors was done on the cheap in the 70's: not only did the dark glass not match the initial structure, but the roof (and the signage) were all of a quality one might have expected on a 7-Eleven. It was quite obvious that one part was done by architects interested in quality while the other was done simply on the basis of cost. 

• Like 1

I attached some photos from yesterday "private" tour that I won from that art contest several months ago. Cant figure how to insert photos on here anymore. From the photos, its hard to believe Phase 1 will be completed by November. The stages and seating look pretty awesome, but unfortunately my battery died. I think 150 ft  is the maximum distance from the farthest seats to the stage. The tour guide repeatedly emphasizes how this art center is "for the people", transparent for all, and that the focal point is the 300 ppl capacity Pugh stage dedicating to local artists.

post-1194-0-69381500-1389811320_thumb.jp

post-1194-0-42994700-1389811359_thumb.jp

post-1194-0-21569600-1389811367_thumb.jp

post-1194-0-95296700-1389811394_thumb.jp

post-1194-0-96589300-1389811402_thumb.jp

post-1194-0-21086600-1389811428_thumb.jp

post-1194-0-79549400-1389811436_thumb.jp

post-1194-0-52613300-1389811445_thumb.jp

post-1194-0-73550800-1389811464_thumb.jp

post-1194-0-20882700-1389811473_thumb.jp

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't mind the design, but I think it will look weird until it's finished and I have a terrible feeling that Phase 2 is never going to happen.  The real shame in that is that fewer shows in the building will keep it and the area around it from blossoming the way we all want it to.  During events, the area around the Amway Center is bustling, but when the building is dark obvisouly the foot traffic disappears.  I think they've been doing a good job keeping the Amway Center busy (thanks to the Solar Bears concerts/shows in addition to the Magic).  The second phase of DPAC adds the symphony and ballet performances to the traveling and local shows in the other theaters.  I'm afraid that without the adiditnal performances the area will feel empty too frequently to spur any further development or suppor the hotels/resturants nearby. 

Its not as if the current Bob Carr schedule is going to be spread between the Carr and the DPAC. I believe there will be as much activity at the DPAC as there is at the Carr. Possibly more audience days. Part of the model is more Broadway days per year than now, so instead of some shows doing a week, they'll do two assuming they think they have an audience. Jersey Boys could probably sit down for a month, and Book of Mormon might be able to do two. The most expensive week for a touring show is the week it loads in, second most is when it loads out, and its really expensive when that is the same week, so producers have an incentive to stay put. And the DPAC folks know a dark theater means no revenue, they'll be filling up all possible dates with concerts and comics. There is all sorts of negotiating that goes on so that the local arts can get in edge-wise. The ballet lost out the year Lion King sat during the OB's usual Nutcracker dates and they scrambled to find a venue. If you look at the Orlando Venues calendar and realize those weeks where there are Arena events when there are broadway shows, it'll be like the crush of humanity it was when the O-rena was next to the Carr. Except it'll be spread over downtown rather than spread over the huge surface lots of yesteryear. True it won't be the mega-insanity of a Broadway show, a Magic game, a pre-season City soccer game, and a OPO concert when Phase II opens up, but that OPO concert will be a train stop away for a few years. 45,000 attendees. I think there is reason to be a tad bit excited.

• Like 3

Nope. Orlando City "Venues" gives up control of the Carr next season. DPAC takes over operations using the Carr as a "do-fer" for Phase II. Depending on when the Disney Theater is able to host the scheduled Broadway shows (they say what? Nov. 6th?) the Carr will still host the Broadway dates until the new theater can. What does this mean for local arts? [Organ sting]. 

The (Skittles flavor) and (mythical beast) scenario says Phase II will be open for the 2017 season. At that time Ulster gets to decide if tearing down a working 2400 seat theater renovated last in 1996 to present Phantom of the Opera in order to build a parking garage is the most creative use idea or not. This from a very interesting but under-reported change in the City agreement covering the Creative Village. Smart money says 2017 is a bit shy of the mark. Whether any of Creative Village is out of the ground by then appears open to discussion as well. Bu-dum-pum.

Personally, I say any 'real' city worth it's salt should be able to support the Carr and the finished DPAC, programming-wise. The only question is if we get there by 2020 or so. (That being the date of my optimist friends for the redundancy of Dead Bob's coming into question.)

• Like 1