Waterside District

umterp03

I like the brick, and I love the large Waterside sign on the roof.

The side facing what I'm guessing is Waterside Drive ("North Elevation") has a sign that says "MARKET". I know it's a rendering, but I'd love to see this become the new home of the Farmer's Market, or even a small market in general. Downtown now has the population to sustain such a concept.

• 1 month later...

It's possible they couldn't/didn't want to fill those spaces without potentially diluting the quality of the experience. It also gives them the flexibility to do what they choose if this place does gangbusters and they want to expand.

If they can do something useful with the space in the meantime (stage, greenspace, park, rockwall, etc) then I think it could be a net positive.

I am gonna call it now, we will be seeing within the next 5 years a residential tower proposed for the site of the portion of Waterside being torn down. It would be easy for them to advertise it as luxury living with a premier view. Probably something in the 15-25 story range. That is my prediction.

21 minutes ago, urbanlife said:

I am gonna call it now, we will be seeing within the next 5 years a residential tower proposed for the site of the portion of Waterside being torn down. It would be easy for them to advertise it as luxury living with a premier view. Probably something in the 15-25 story range. That is my prediction.

I don't even think it'll take that long. Didn't Cordish propose a tower there a few months ago?

1 hour ago, BFG said:

I don't even think it'll take that long. Didn't Cordish propose a tower there a few months ago?

I believe that is correct and it was voted down by council. But that doesn't mean that a slightly tweaked proposal can't get passed. Maybe a 15-20 story tower with the first two floors being connected to the new Waterside, adding the bar/restaurant space back that the annex that will be lost for now.

I think that is what they are planning to do. Turned down? Try and try again. It would make sense to have a few hundred people right next to Waterside. People who would live there would spend money. I just hope that they end up with some inspiring design, not blah blah that is the norm around here!

Edited by lil-bear

They'll probably wait a little while. One of the things that the Main is selling are the views, and if waterside had a 15-25 story tower, that'd impact that view at least a little. Norfolk City Council probably won't allow it up until they think that the Main has gotten its due diligence.

21 hours ago, Arctic_Tern said:

They'll probably wait a little while. One of the things that the Main is selling are the views, and if waterside had a 15-25 story tower, that'd impact that view at least a little. Norfolk City Council probably won't allow it up until they think that the Main has gotten its due diligence.

Impact the view of what? The black water on the river??? I would rather see a booming waterfront district than an open plot of land in front of a river

Edited by varider

Thou Shalt Grow posted a new update on Waterside: http://www.thoushaltgrow.com/

Here's the full PDF: http://www.norfolk.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/2429?fileID=5578

New information about the project can be gleamed from this application for architectural review. First of all, it looks like the roof will now be grey instead of blue. It also looks like there's going to be a Bocce ball court in the bottom left of the complex. The area to be demolished is being called a "Multifunctional Area", which it appears will house the surface lot parking along with "special events". There's also a ton of little things that are in the report, so I'd suggest you give it a look through. A good number of renderings I don't think we've seen before are also in it.

• 1 month later...