Waterside District

umterp03

Pleasantly surprised at the restaurants. I think DC had a McFadden's as well...had no idea that the restaurant is actually a chain. I thought the one at Power Plant was just coincidence in name.

Regardless, I like that the selection (so far) is not just stuff you could easily get in Virginia Beach or Chesapeake. That said, I think a Benihana overlooking the water would be pretty cool...that's one restaurant this area doesn't have. I also wouldn't mind seeing Hooters and Outback return, given the selection.

I'd be surprised if Hooters doesn't eventually return. There is a lot of restaurant space per the brochure above left. Hooters would be fine infill.

As far as McFadden's, I'm not 100% sure if it's just coincidence or not. I actually never went there as was living in the DC area at the time. As you said though, I really hope Waterside Live can bring more from outside the area. Maybe a Hard Rock Cafe could find its way here? The next closest Hard Rock is in Washington DC.

So I followed the link to the leasing info. document. It looks like five or six leases are in place. Shark Bar, PBR Big Sky, Howl at the Moon, McFadden's (Irish sports saloon), Kill Devil Club (jazz bar.) It looks like most of these are at other Cordish properties, such as Power & Light District in KC, but only PBR is already in this market.

If They get howl at the moon, that's definitely a win win.

One of the best spots I've been to for PURE entertainment.  I go here in bmore and been to the one in chicago, one of the guys who played there is actually from virginia beach.

If they are going that way, I'm not sure how outback would fit in a spot like that.

Interesting......

These are all chains and not to sound degrading but the transient population of Hampton Roads loves the chains.  2 hour waits at Cheesecake Factory and PF Chang's in town center are the norm so I suspect with the right chains in place here this place will draw a crowd.  The funny thing though, and something I knew all along, is that Waterside Live will be exactly what it was before with Bar Norfolk and Have A Nice Day Cafe, a building full of bars and nightclubs.  Just a renovated version run by a competent management company versus the city.  I thought it was supposed to be a family friendly venue?  Check out Xfinity Live in Philly, after 7 pm or so the whole building is 21+

I noticed that Waterside Live seems to be going back to the future.  I still think that the venue should be for families during the day with maybe a market run by a non-profit in the center atrium with the bars surrounding it and an adult only playground maybe after 10:00.  

Since they are going with the "mall of bars" design, I thought a Yard House would go over well in there. The one at Town Center is constantly busy. Seems like it would be perfect for the business/convention crowd. 

Also downtown is lacking a Barbecue restaurant, I think a locally owned BBQ restaurant would do well. 

What are your thoughts on putting a Barcade type venue in there? Retro style arcade games, local beer, etc, 

I'd love to see a barcade along Granby. Someone suggested the old Garage space, but I think closer to the Mo and O'Malley's side might work better.

The old Jillian's location would be a cool site for an "adult playground".

Hmmm...that I did not know. I think I may be a little torn. I'd love to see the city start working on that side of Brambleton, but I know that stretch has a bit of history. That said, with a mixed-use development, I think moving Stark and Legum back into this possible building would work, and maybe Bress moves a little further down Granby. Wouldn't mind seeing the Greyhound station get a massive renovation...

Times like this make me wish Granby Tower had taken off.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/city-of-norfolk-and-the-cordish-companies-announce-waterside-live-groundbreaking-in-august-300115588.html

Not sure if anyone posted this tid bit of info:

NORFOLK, Va.July 20, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- The City of Norfolk and The Cordish Companies are excited to announce the groundbreaking of Waterside Live!.

There is a discrepancyregarding opening date. from two articles, I see 16' and 17'... hmmmm

So what do they want exactly, a cheaper lease?

I guess I was the only one who knew waterside was functionally obsolete. Seriously, I want to know how many people actually know anything about WS who make comments on those pages. At this point, I feel the city doesn't know either. This explains the short-side approach to what happen to WS over the last 10 years.

They knew what they were getting into. When property is leased from a local government, the tenant is responsible to pay the taxes on it.

They wouldn't have gone into this deal without having the building inspected and projected taxes checked into. They are simply looking to have their tax obligation reduced.

As a result, city leaders will oblige take it up the ole wazzu!

Actually I'm with Cordish on this one...  They don't want to pay taxes on 25 million and in it's current state the building is not adding any value to the land, if anyone was to purchase the land they'd have it demo'd at an expense.  The assessment should really be at the value of the land until the new building is complete and then it will likely be in that 25 million range.

From AltDaily:
http://altdaily.com/features/news/8064-waterside-to-be-called-the-waterside-district-because-if-you-brand-it-they-will-come

"We are excited to announce that we see a larger vision for this important site that is more than a Live! District, but ultimately a broader mixed-use, waterfront district, and the name, the Waterside District, speaks to that potential," said Blake Cordish, Vice President of The Cordish Companies, in a prepared statement.

I hope this "larger vision" and "mixed-use, waterfront district" leads to a Riverwalk-style path that leads to Harbor Park. Perhaps a brewery and/or some mixed-use development over there?

Edited by BFG

I think it is a larger vision project because Cordish refers to their St. Louis and Kansas City projects in the news release. Both projects are not a single structure. They stretch across a few streets, and in Kansas City include residential. Tearing down the Waterside's 1990 extension gives room to eventually build a new structure in that space (tower?). In addition to the vacant land around Harbor Park, the land along St. Pauls and Union St. where the old court building is now will soon be torn down and open for development, too. 

• Like 1