Waterside District

umterp03

A rooftop deck and craft brewery? Now this project has me intrigued! Perfect location for both. 

This is where I am. We're finally starting to see some intriguing ideas being thrown into the mix. Is this going to be O'Connor or Smartmouth moving in? Is the rumored West Coast Brewery going to make its foray east in Waterside? Is it just going to be a new brewery altogether? Of course, there's still at least 2 years before things coming to fruition.

That sounds great. Where is this being reported?

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/08/developer-break-ground-norfolks-new-waterside-district#_ga=1.260895565.1110228223.1440552482

They kinda bury the lead in my opinion...

The anchor tenant, he announced, will be a 30,000-square-foot venue named "The Marketplace," which will include a craft brewery and a live-performance stage and will offer sushi and raw seafood. He said the Waterside District will have a rooftop deck.

Why wouldn't it be Stone Brewery? They will be in Richmond already and don't they have satellite beer tasting/restaurants?

This was another thought of mine. If I recall correctly, someone did post here before Stone's announcement of Richmond (or maybe it was the Richmond board) that he had heard that Richmond would be the choice for the brewery and that Norfolk would get a satellite brewery. So it's a real possibility.

That said, I don't think Stone really moves the needle very much as far as attracting out of towners. Folks from Richmond aren't going to come here for Stone. Even for Devils Backbone, they might though since DB's main brewery is in the middle of nowhere.

Edited by HRVT

I wonder if there is asbestos in that building...

No.  Waterside was opened in June, 1983.  By that time, the dangers of asbestos were well known, and the use of asbestos for building construction was greatly limited.  So asbestos was probably never used in the construction of Waterside.

On any demolition project, the owner is required to have a hazardous material survey completed by a testing laboratory before demolition begins.  If any asbestos is found, they are required to have an asbestos abatement contractor remove the asbestos under strictly controlled conditions and dispose of the asbestos in a legal manner, or they are required to encapsulate the asbestos so no fibers will be dislodged and released.  Assuming the Norfolk Building Safety Bureau is doing their job, if asbestos was used to construct Waterside in the early 1980s, it is gone by now, or else it is in a location where it will not be disturbed during the renovation. 

Who?  From around here?

Starr Hill is based around Charlottesville. Their beer can be found just about anywhere in the commonwealth. Personally, I've never been too impressed, but I've only had a couple of their offerings. If they open up shop around here, I'll have to try a few more.

• 2 weeks later...