Mixed Use Spirit Square and Main Library Redevelopment

dubone

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Yes and the head of Inlivian has said so much.  It is a terrible public policy to destroy this building and no the decision is all on the city council for allowing this. 

and by the way, I get that Lincoln Harris doesn't want to share renderings or a site plan.  But Inlivian gets funding back-stopped by taxpayers, and can barely be bothered to show detailed plans and renderings?  

• Like 2

The fact that it is mid rise astounds me… not even a podium tower on top of these mid rises? (Set back of course - Makes for a better look). That’s some lack of foresight.

Will there still be a high rise residential tower at the other corner of this block? (I think this one is by another developer no?)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RANYC said:

Is there anything else at play here?  

I recall reading that the city will soon rename Barringer Drive to Revolution Park Drive - Osmond Barringer being the eponym.

I also know that Hall House was once known as Barringer Hotel.  

Is the rush to demolition the latest whitewashing?

"Whitewashing"  Great term to describe what's happening.  It's disturbingly Stalinist.

Edited by Phillydog
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I want to preface this by saying replacing the Hall House with this is a tragedy, but I do want to play Devil's advocate.

It is well established that uptown has an impressive skyline, but feels somewhat empty at ground level.  

It has been said that uptown could use more mid rise buildings to help fill in gaps on the surface, and keeping that in mind.  These could help the ground level atmosphere of Uptown and help that part of Tryon feel more dense.   This will certainly bring in more residents to uptown and hopefully have a decent amount of retail.  There are plenty of other projects in the works that will add tall density to the skyline.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

28 minutes ago, CltFlyer said:

I want to preface this by saying replacing the Hall House with this is a tragedy, but I do want to play Devil's advocate.

It is well established that uptown has an impressive skyline, but feels somewhat empty at ground level.  

It has been said that uptown could use more mid rise buildings to help fill in gaps on the surface, and keeping that in mind.  These could help the ground level atmosphere of Uptown and help that part of Tryon feel more dense.   This will certainly bring in more residents to uptown and hopefully have a decent amount of retail.  There are plenty of other projects in the works that will add tall density to the skyline.  

Are these coming with ground-floor retail?  Can't quite discern that from the renderings.  It almost appears the ground-floor is just screening for parking, but surely they're not putting ground floor parking right along Tryon Street...

• 2 weeks later...

I walked by today and sadly see that the demolition process has begun. 

Such a shame this building is not being saved.

The only positive is there will be more housing units for uptown and especially N Tryon.

I would be happy with residential projects built on every vacant lot uptown - regardless of height. 

More housing = more people on the sidewalks = more retail, I hope.

IMG_4680.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

On 5/30/2022 at 9:40 PM, j-man said:

I hate that all this good prime surface area is going for lowrise. I really don’t understand how other cities get such great urban developments, and Charlotte gets stuck with these not so bright ideas…

I disagree. Structural density, IMO, adds greatly to the pedestrian experience. If a low rise is built there, a high rise would have to go elsewhere. Fill in several of these lots, a developer would have to look out farther in uptown to build. 

SouthEnd is a good example of high rises (Lowes tower) surrounded my low rise buildings. It’d be nice to have a slice of low-rises uptown  instead of the still massive amounts of parking lots, gravel lots, and even grass fields. Besides, the low rise buildings seem to score better tenants and livelier venues it seems. 

in any event. I’m not at all shocked Charlotte would tear this down. Other than Thirsty Beaver, everything meets the wrecking ball. I don’t get why this building can’t be rehabilitated but perhaps it’s been discussed already in previous pages that I haven’t looked over. As the poster above implied, there’s no shortage of land…

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

BofA sold the land to this partnership and Truist will anchor a tower connected to their big truist tower. 

That’s fantastic.  Presumably, since it’s Truist’s own tower, they’ll break ground soon, or will they wait until the whole project is under construction?

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 8:03 AM, KJHburg said:

BofA sold the land to this partnership and Truist will anchor a tower connected to their big truist tower. 

So is this still going to just be a ten story building? I sure hope not. All of this development seems so lowscale. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...