Mixed Use Spirit Square and Main Library Redevelopment

dubone

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

The more I think about this 7th and Tryon project falling apart might be the office component which was required I think by the county with this project.  Hopefully they will now sell the land to the highest bidders and let them build what they want under a wide  UMUD zoning.   The example of the state selling the excess DOT land is a great example and that was all developed quickly.  I think the county in this case put too many handcuffs on this project.  Give bonuses or incentives for certain things that mean more to the county but let the market decide.    The more local government gets involved the more complicated it gets.  For this project that was not needed other than to say the county owned library site and Spirit Square will remain.  

I would not care if it was all residential on the rest of the block or some kind of mix of hotel and residential.  We need more people living uptown.  Period end of the story.  

I agree with you and would be pleased with getting these lots filled in with all residential.  Our “good friends” at Charlotte Center City Partners (CCCP) have spoken, however, and according to Bizjournals, Michael Smith (CCCP CEO) appears to  want to get the office portions of the site ready for when the cycle turns.  That is, the idea of this being mixed-use with office isn’t going away.

I’d forgotten about CCCP’s potential role in these deals, their designs, their dimensions, their constraints, their delays, their failures to materialize,  their sketchy economics for taxpayers.

If anyone is in touch with Charlotte Squawks, can you consider proposing a skit about a day in the life of the CCCP, called “Cabal without a Cause?”

Edited by RANYC
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

I am putting together an exploratory committee and intend to run for District 1 in 2025. I'd like to finish off my appointment as a Charlotte-Mecklenburg Planning Commissioner first and really learn the ropes, make the contacts, and continue to make friends in government. The current and incoming city council has enough rope to, well you know the expression, and I hope during their full two-year term we can figure out a smart strategy to bring back policy that encourages private investment in our city, while incentivizing infrastructural improvement in the areas that development touches. I would also look to pilot a oversight committee of all public-private partnerships, as well as all Municipal Service District agreements.

You've got enough recognition to go for at-large.  If Ben Copeland can do it, surely you can.  The pool of contenders for the at-large seats is dismal, tbh. 

By 2025, however, the great behemoth of public-private partnerships will have been executed I imagine, that being the stadium replacement or renovation.  Your oversight pilot is needed now.  I suppose one would distinguish deals like the Pearl, Stadium, even Housing Trust Fund contributions from master development agreements like Brooklyn Village and 7th & Tryon?

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, RANYC said:

You've got enough recognition to go for at-large.  If Ben Copeland can do it, surely you can.  The pool of contenders for the at-large seats is dismal, tbh. 

By 2025, however, the great behemoth of public-private partnerships will have been executed I imagine, that being the stadium replacement or renovation.  Your oversight pilot is needed now.  I suppose one would distinguish deals like the Pearl, Stadium, even Housing Trust Fund contributions from master development agreements like Brooklyn Village and 7th & Tryon?

I had lunch with Ben this week, good kid, some great ideas with Community Land Trusts, but he will have a hard time since he did not get BPC backing. I think I'll fare better than him, but you never know. 

I'm working to implement those oversight committees within the planning commission in the interim. I push back on the Housing Trust Fund at every meeting because usually the contribution is $150,000 which equates to maybe MAYBE a studio apartment. I also make sure to call out that CATS does not show up to a single meeting, and will continue calling out their lack of attendance in perpetuity until it stops happening. 

My "in the interim I hope that..." line was in reference to us behind the scenes crafting a policy that a few people can join up and campaign on.

Oh and side note I know the guy who writes Charlotte Squawks pretty well, I'll let him know about the Michale Smith song!

Edited by CLT Development
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

I had lunch with Ben this week, good kid, some great ideas with Community Land Trusts, but he will have a hard time since he did not get BPC backing. I think I'll fare better than him, but you never know. 

I'm working to implement those oversight committees within the planning commission in the interim. I push back on the Housing Trust Fund at every meeting because usually the contribution is $150,000 which equates to maybe MAYBE a studio apartment. I also make sure to call out that CATS does not show up to a single meeting, and will continue calling out their lack of attendance in perpetuity until it stops happening. 

My "in the interim I hope that..." line was in reference to us behind the scenes crafting a policy that a few people can join up and campaign on.

Oh and side note I know the guy who writes Charlotte Squawks pretty well, I'll let him know about the Michale Smith song!

As long as turnouts stay sub-20%, BPC is a factor even if a hack organization.  I mean, Patrick Cannon over Egleston tells you all you need to know about its one-dimensionality. 

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, CLT Development said:

I am putting together an exploratory committee and intend to run for District 1 in 2025. I'd like to finish off my appointment as a Charlotte-Mecklenburg Planning Commissioner first and really learn the ropes, make the contacts, and continue to make friends in government. The current and incoming city council has enough rope to, well you know the expression, and I hope during their full two-year term we can figure out a smart strategy to bring back policy that encourages private investment in our city, while incentivizing infrastructural improvement in the areas that development touches. I would also look to pilot an oversight committee of all public-private partnerships, as well as all Municipal Service District agreements.

Nice! 

Re: the Michael Smith of it all

CCCP is your typical business improvement district, I guess, so it makes sense that they would push for office development. In BID world, residential is great, but not nearly as valuable as commercial, especially large office. There are certain limits to how the additional tax assessment is carried out on residential properties, especially rentals. Office development brings in the big bucks for companies like CCCP. 

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

The Main Library is GONE and it weird to see the side of Spirit Square aka old 1st Baptist Church first time in my lifetime seeing that.  From the ashes and rubble will rise a beautiful new library.  Can not wait! 

20231108_105737.jpg

20231108_105739.jpg

20231108_105747.jpg

I’m really excited to see this go up too!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

The Main Library is GONE and it weird to see the side of Spirit Square aka old 1st Baptist Church first time in my lifetime seeing that.  From the ashes and rubble will rise a beautiful new library.  Can not wait! 

20231108_105737.jpg

20231108_105739.jpg

20231108_105747.jpg

Is that a crane base in the left of the last photo? If so, add it to the list.

• Like 2