Mixed Use Spirit Square and Main Library Redevelopment

dubone

24 minutes ago, MothBeast said:

This is quite the debacle if true. No underground parking and the tower is only 17 stories? What happened to Truist?

I'd guess hybrid schedule has permanently changed Truist's square footage needs. I've also heard relocations to Charlotte from WS and ATL slowed down during COVID... hence only ~1,200 employees in Charlotte per LinkedIn. Throw in a tight labor market and I don't think they are going to make many people move from the legacy HQs... who might quit rather than move.

I interviewed somebody on their mobile app team who said he's one of two people based in Charlotte and all the other people they work with are from Atlanta or Winston and refused to relocate and while the two cultures hate each other, they are especially unified in hating Charlotte people who are "backfilling their jobs and stole the HQ." This guy was the most candid but I've also interviewed some other candidates who all said the Charlotte office is just a weird collection of people brand new to the company talking to ATL and WS on the phone.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

We need new development on the north end of uptown and this is a good start.  The apartment tower will be much taller from what I hear @CLTdevelopmentright?  This is a Deloitte style tower but we need new life in this part of uptown.   

I thought the towers were the other way in height but if one is taller I would prefer the apartment towers location for the skyline anyway. Real shame about the parking though, was excited to avoid another deck. I just get frustrated seeing these huge PPPs stumble so often when so much hinges on them getting it right the first time. This project will absolutely be a net positive for North Tryon and I’m still super excited about the ground level experience.

Edited by Guest

I do think it's a little odd how unobstructed the view into Uptown is from certain angles. Like, you can see almost the entirety of the BoA and Truist Towers from the North, looks a little weird for some of our tallest buildings to be exposed rather than a central part of a skyscraper core. So in that sense I support some taller buildings around North Tryon. However in all other senses I totally agree that low and mid-rise buildings are fantastic too and I have always thought Charlotte could use more of those. They aren't as impressive from the air but it's much easier to make them super interesting from street level, something more attractive to pedestrians.

• Like 3

With the exception of Duke and the LU BoA, the trend Uptown is for shorter buildings (e.g., Ally, Deloitte, 300 S. Tryon, the next tower at LU, these Spirit Sq. towers, etc.)  However, the trend in SouthEnd is now to build taller.

It's good because it will make the skyline look more continuous with peaks and troughs.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, B Randy said:

A LEGIT new multifamily building ON Tryon is a huge win for this part of town.  HUGE.  That critical mass is so needed in this spot.

Will take whatever office is ready to go on this site.   Tough area for office right now - lucked out that Truist moved in next door.

I agree.  I think the Truist Office and New Residential will actually create enough momentum to finally get the Publix/Office  Project to break ground.  They all seem to like to start construction within the same timeframe it seems.

1 hour ago, norm21499 said:

It's odd to me that new office buildings in South End are being built taller than the new office buildings in Uptown.

South End is just straight up a better location now IMO. There's not that much Uptown to really draw people there every day. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

I do think it's a little odd how unobstructed the view into Uptown is from certain angles. Like, you can see almost the entirety of the BoA and Truist Towers from the North, looks a little weird for some of our tallest buildings to be exposed rather than a central part of a skyscraper core. So in that sense I support some taller buildings around North Tryon. However in all other senses I totally agree that low and mid-rise buildings are fantastic too and I have always thought Charlotte could use more of those. They aren't as impressive from the air but it's much easier to make them super interesting from street level, something more attractive to pedestrians.

Ive always thought that. When Im coming from Noda I absolutely hate that angle of the skyline. Looks so exposed and unfinished because the tallest and 3rd tallest tower are on the edge of what people view as the bulk of the skyline.  And this goes back to my point about the skyline also being so linear. Wish more would be built on the North side but not just in a straight line along with the other major buildings. 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

From CBJ:

elise-franco-cbj-mk007edit*90xx4023-5395
By Elise Franco  –  Staff Writer, Charlotte Business Journal 
24 minutes ago

Changes to a proposed parking structure garnered mixed support from Charlotte City Council last night as it discussed a massive uptown redevelopment project.

Assistant City Manager Tracy Dodson presented council with updates on the $600 million Seventh and Tryon redevelopment project during last night's regular business meeting. The project is a coordinated effort by four key stakeholders — the city, Mecklenburg County, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library and Bank of America Corp. (NYSE: BAC) — to transform the 3.1-acre block. The master developer is Metropolitan Partnership.

Plans call for a new Main Library, a 170,000-square-foot mixed-use building, a 400,000-square-foot office tower, market-rate apartments, 31,000 square feet of ground-floor retail and above-grade parking, all of which will be connected throughout a cultural corridor, according to the city.

Dodson said the development is expected to create more than 4,000 full-time, permanent jobs and up to 1,500 temporary jobs during the three-year construction phase. As she outlined the project status, Dodson noted a couple of changes since the last major update to council in 2020.

A planned, below-grade parking deck will now be built above grade, and the service level will go subterranean. The updated plan also calls for 810 parking spaces with 250 of those available to the public. Originally, 1,489 spots were to be built with 150 to 200 spaces for the public. Dodson said the change is due, in part, to a decrease in office space of about 50,000 square feet.

"The idea here is that you're coming out of that Seventh Street deck, and you're really flowing through the middle of the project being able to see and experience that retail and that plaza environment," Dodson said.

Edited by DMann
  • Like 3
  • Sad 3

According to the  bizjournal article, construction slated to begin this summer.  That's exciting.

Parking garage space count has gone down by 40% in latest plans.  

Assistant city manager made reference to a "cultural corridor" planned for the development.  Anyone know what that is?  Do we have other examples of cultural corridors in Charlotte or in the state?

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, JeanClt said:

I don’t think cars are driving through the corridor…? I think they’re talking about the pedestrian plaza in between the buildings on the block… unless that is now internal streets?

Yes, I, too believe the cultural corridor is pedestrian-only.