Mixed Use Spirit Square and Main Library Redevelopment

dubone

32 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

What I hope will occur is that the usual and too common excuse that "the client wanted a cheaper project" does not apply so much to SOM. I hope they are chosen so they can deliver a distinctive, useful and efficient project with a budget that the client will accept and SOM will resist important changes for reasons that are solely based on budget. An important question to ask in ANY professional relationship is "Who is the client?" Not so easy to answer sometimes.

I mean the clients are a big purple bank, an IHG or Hilton Property, Mill Creek, Blumenthal and Charlotte Mecklenburg Public Library

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

What I hope will occur is that the usual and too common excuse that "the client wanted a cheaper project" does not apply so much to SOM. I hope they are chosen so they can deliver a distinctive, useful and efficient project with a budget that the client will accept and SOM will resist important changes for reasons that are solely based on budget. An important question to ask in ANY professional relationship is "Who is the client?" Not so easy to answer sometimes.

It also depends on how much decision-making SOM gets as the master plan architect. I've seen it where the master firm sets general conceptual requirements and then the individual design architects have a lot of leeway, and I've seen it where the master firm makes decisions all the way down to the granular level of, like, storefront mullion layout.

One would hope that if they've brought in SOM they didn't do it just to get a hands-off concept from them. Other than Cesar Pelli, SOM would be the most important architectural firm to ever have work in Charlotte. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is what I mean by the client comment. Conventional projects have the money as the client and the architect as the hired help. There are some uncommonly talented architects and world renowned firms that bring a halo to a project and they do not plan to produce a "phantom" or lost project. The power does not move in one direction. As you say it depends on how the relationships are structured. 

Edited by tarhoosier

3 hours ago, tozmervo said:

You're making Mario Botta and Machado Silvetti very sad. 

Those are two great architects, but SOM literally invented the modern skyscraper. They're the only firm to win Firm of the Year from the AIA twice. It's hard to overstate how big their influence has been on urban architecture.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

It also depends on how much decision-making SOM gets as the master plan architect. I've seen it where the master firm sets general conceptual requirements and then the individual design architects have a lot of leeway, and I've seen it where the master firm makes decisions all the way down to the granular level of, like, storefront mullion layout.

And it seems like they have a lot of say. Theres also the matter of the developer Metropolitan Partnership. I've gotten to know a bit about them, and originally I was a little dismissive, purely because of their website. But from what I've gleaned over the past year, they only do work they know they can get right, and that they really want to make a show-stopping project, that had the opportunity to be even more awesome had the Inlivian debacle not happened. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Great news on the fundraising for the library.  Mr Tepper donates $10 M

https://foundation.cmlibrary.org/news/tepper-foundation-gift/

Love to see him investing in the city. Hopefully he can be one of those businessmen who helps push the city into the future. I also get excited thinking about what he could do with an entertainment district like some people have been saying.

Now if only he could get the Panthers back on track :tw_confounded:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

Love to see him investing in the city. Hopefully he can be one of those businessmen who helps push the city into the future. I also get excited thinking about what he could do with an entertainment district like some people have been saying.

Now if only he could get the Panthers back on track :tw_confounded:

I wonder if entertainment district talk is just further positioning in order to ask the city for money for a new stadium

31 minutes ago, kayman said:

Honestly, I'm just glad to see another philanthropic donations from someone other than the Levine family for regional entities. I'll looking forward to the new development surrounding the main library branch. 

It's not often said aloud, but one thing Charlotte sucks at is philanthropic giving at all levels. We rate far below average in average gift giving, and far below peer cities like Atlanta and Nashville. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

^This project is huge for the North Tryon corridor. Game-changing. Makes me also wonder the life expectancy of the building that used to house forum, alley cats and bar Charlotte. A very very old rumor on here said this was once proposed to be a residential tower. Wouldn’t mind if that building stayed bc it has a lot of retail options there. It’s the OG entertainment district before the epicentre. 

I would imagine a project of this magnitude would  also help reinvigorate the Carolina theater hotel. If they’re worried about current Covid and business travel concerns, my take is that it’s going to take years to finish the hotel tower. Might as well start now and things will be different by the time it’s finished. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 3

we talked about this today at the UP meetup.  That is in no way the final height or design of the office tower.     But I very much agree it is very important to northside of uptown to get something going here a 15-17 story building or a taller one but something is important.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, KJHburg said:

here is from the Meck County commissioners agenda:

Preliminary Development Program
• 400,000+/- SF Class A Office Tower
• 170,000+ SF mixed-use building
with retail and a hotel
• Multi-family residential tower with
345+/- units
• 31,000+/- SF of ground floor retail
• 810 +/- total parking spaces
• Below-grade shared services level

https://mecklenburg.legistar.com/Calendar.aspx   Look at the March 1 agenda 

Oh jeez, the master development agreement hasn't been even executed yet?

Next meeting will consider authorizing the County Manager to enter into negotiations on the master development agreement?  I thought this was much further along.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...