Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

I think it's confusing to be on Church St and see addresses for Tryon Street. I wish there were a way to get a ''functional address' for businesses that occupy spaces that are on the side or rear portions of parcels that front other blocks. It would make so much more sense for navigation purposes if Rhino's address were something like 403 S Church St.

• Like 4

First Citizens Bank Plaza has signed Passport Inc. a fast growing parking app and software firm to the top 2 floors leasing 28,000 sq ft. This firm is adding people left and right from what I hear. Subscriber only article https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/08/25/big-changes-on-way-for-charlottes-older-towers.html?ana=e_mc_prem&s=scroll&ed=2017-08-25&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1503665087&j=78744181   They are located in South End Gold District now. More examples of tech firms moving closer intown to either uptown or SouthEnd   Here is what Passport does from their webpage https://passportinc.com/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

First Citizens Bank Plaza has signed Passport Inc. a fast growing parking app and software firm to the top 2 floors leasing 28,000 sq ft. This firm is adding people left and right from what I hear. Subscriber only article https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/08/25/big-changes-on-way-for-charlottes-older-towers.html?ana=e_mc_prem&s=scroll&ed=2017-08-25&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1503665087&j=78744181   They are located in South End Gold District now. More examples of tech firms moving closer intown to either uptown or SouthEnd   Here is what Passport does from their webpage https://passportinc.com/

Also about $10M worth of renovations coming to First Citizen's

Capital improvements totaling more than $10 million at First Citizens Bank Plaza will include revamping the building’s Tryon Street entrance — currently tucked away from the sidewalk — updating the lobby with a new color scheme and finishes, adding a tenant hub, repositioning shops on the ground floor and upgrading the building’s systems, including mechanical, HVAC and elevator cabs.

• Like 2

FYI, Passport is the one that developed the CATS Lynx app for paying for fare. They have several big cities (Chicago is probably their largest) that are working on public transit with.

Good to have them Uptown, but in general, awesome to have them in town.

Info: https://passportinc.com/catspass-mobile-app-introduces-payment-solution-for-charlotte-lynx-riders-powered-by-passport/

• Like 2

On 8/8/2017 at 0:55 PM, Spartan said:

I realize this won't come as a shock, but I'm pretty sure 4th Ward Bread Co is completely dead. They took their sign off of the front of the building, and all of the large equipment that was in there appears to be gone. While that's very sad - I think it's a great opportunity for Good Bottle/CM/Rhino/etc to have an expansion location. 4th Ward lacks a good craft beer bottle shop for locals. It's kind of confounding when you consider that it's probably the wealthiest of the 4 Wards, and yet 3rd and 1st already have bottle shops. If I was looking for a new career, I'd think this would be a pretty low-risk opportunity.

As someone who works in the area, I'd love to see the Bread Co. come back, but these are also great ideas.  Brewery would be excellent as well.  

Anyone have an update on the old firehouse on 5th St/Graham?  One of the Panthers bought the building and intended to turn it into a sandwich shop if I recall correctly.  I haven't seen any movement there in a while.  Rumor around here was they were having trouble satisfying parking requirements...which is somewhat ridiculous given the amount of foot traffic in the area.  

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 11:41 AM, grodney said:

I remembered that Rhino Market opened in 400 S Tryon (backside, opposite Mellow Mushroom and catty-whompus from Bearden) last week while I was gone, so I went down today for lunch.  Went at 11:15 to beat any kind of rush.  Wrong.  Place was a zoo.  Got my sandwich rather quickly though.  Insane activity for that area with Rhino and b.good now open, with JJ's yet to come.

I failed to heed your warning. It's not really a market so much as a continuous line to the order counter, to the pay counter and to the pickup counter. You'd think it was the only deli in Uptown!

In all the hoopla of Irma and Amazon HQ2 (which does need to get its own thread since the process will be 6 months long or longer) Convention center enhancements being discussed tonight.  It looks interesting and it is hard to make a huge convention look nice (I haven't really seen many of them that are jewels) Here is the new look http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article172734486.html

• Like 3

Convention Center remake would include ‘picture frame outlook’ over Stonewall Street

conventioncenter2

A $110 million renovation of the Charlotte Convention Center would include a new indoor pedestrian bridge next to the Lynx Blue Line, and a roughly 30-foot high “picture frame outlook” to give guests a view of Stonewall Street.

The Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority does not plan to expand the footprint of the 22-year-old center. But the renovation project is designed to make the building more attractive to residents and convention guests, by remaking the Stonewall Street side with more windows.

In addition, the CRVA plans to create more smaller meeting space. The tourism authority said conventions have shifted away from wanting large exhibit hall space in favor of smaller rooms.

If City Council approves the project, construction would start in February 2019.

The pedestrian walkway would be build alongside the light-rail line over Stonewall Street. It would allow convention guests to walk from the center to both the Westin hotel and the new Crescent Stonewall Station development under construction, which includes a Whole Foods.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article172734486.html

Is the “picture frame outlook” a glorified window?

The article brings up a good point. Will the 110 million be made back in the increased attractiveness gained? I find it hard to believe without major changes. More than a bridge and some added windows. 

Wish they'd add retail on the streets instead of walls. Even if they add windows to those walls.

The article brings up a good point. Will the 110 million be made back in the increased attractiveness gained? I find it hard to believe without major changes. More than a bridge and some added windows. 
Wish they'd add retail on the streets instead of walls. Even if they add windows to those walls.

It's impossible. Along stonewall, it's a ramp into the loading docks of the building. It's physically impossible for it to be another other than load bearing walls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Panthers home games  I ride my bike down Mint to Bearden (it's a poor man's Open Streets).  One thing that sticks out to me now is that the area lacks anything that would make the stadium area  friendlier to passersby.  Minimally the Panthers could use a tiny chunk of their city subsidy to build a scoreboard outside (which could even be used for advertising outside of game time) , the radio game call and maybe a few benches. 

I know things should get better when Harrisville opens up across the street but there are plenty of things the team could do to be a better neighbor. Given how much city money they are happy to take, it doesn't seem like an unreasonable request. 

Something like a more modern version of this:

cubsfans-110316-017_65123777.jpg

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Most Panthers home games  I ride my bike down Mint to Bearden (it's a poor man's Open Streets).  One thing that sticks out to me now is that the area lacks anything that would make the stadium area  friendlier to passersby.  Minimally the Panthers could use a tiny chunk of their city subsidy to build a scoreboard outside (which could even be used for advertising outside of game time) , the radio game call and maybe a few benches. 

I know things should get better when Harrisville opens up across the street but there are plenty of things the team could do to be a better neighbor. 

An uptown scoreboard "thing" would be really cool! Thats an awesome idea!

What are the parking requirements for a high/midrise within uptown?  If so, are these numbers predetermined by city council, zoning, or just on the builder?  And how will these change as uptown continues to be built out?  Additionally, as uptown becomes more developed, will (or are there) zoning requirements that would force construction of high-rises vs. mid-rises or is it supply and demand?  Thanks for the info, something I've always been curious about!

1 hour ago, Popsickle said:

What are the parking requirements for a high/midrise within uptown?  If so, are these numbers predetermined by city council, zoning, or just on the builder?  And how will these change as uptown continues to be built out?  Additionally, as uptown becomes more developed, will (or are there) zoning requirements that would force construction of high-rises vs. mid-rises or is it supply and demand?  Thanks for the info, something I've always been curious about!

for residential the requirement appears to be one off-street space per unit (way too much IMO -- the minimum should be zero). There does not appear to be any change in the requirement per building or dwelling size.  

http://ww.charmeck.org/gatewaycharlotte/PDF/Zoning_Ord_City_Chapter09.pdf  (see page 9-149)

Edited by kermit
  • Thanks 1

I think we are only a couple projects away from never seeing midrise (4-8 floors) residential within 277 again. Land and construction prices are getting too high. Brooklyn Village might have the last midrise development uptown, if only for the agreed purchases price. Gateways station district plan has midrise construction, and I think that might be feasible but only if land is sold pretty cheap.

Duke and Lincoln Harris' recent purchases seem like the new normal in land pricing uptown.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk