Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Good gracious.  In the video the Westin looks like some sort of shack next to that thing.  While I am all for high-rises, landmarks, etc., it would have been soooo out of scale with the rest of Uptown.  Hopefully we do end up with a convention-size hotel on the edge of Uptown though.

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

that was a great video of Trump Charlotte tower.  Remember the 80 story building First Union was going to build I think on the Duke Energy Center site?  That was another incredible building. 

Believe it or not, it was at the 300 South Tryon Spot.

2 minutes ago, DMann said:

I thought it was Tryon Place site.

Back then that was considered the periphery of uptown, no way would it have gone that "far out" but as it turns out we were all wrong. Interesting that there would be a tower considered for that giant Plaza. Seems so permanent, I'd love to see a tower planned there again.

Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 8.40.19 AM.png

1 minute ago, HopHead said:

On the NBC broadcast of the Panthers game last night, Al Michaels made several comments about Charlotte's skyline and how there are seemingly cranes everywhere. Said he could see at least 5 from a few block radius by their hotel. I suspect they stayed at the Westin. 

Haha, I said the same thing last night. 

7 minutes ago, HopHead said:

On the NBC broadcast of the Panthers game last night, Al Michaels made several comments about Charlotte's skyline and how there are seemingly cranes everywhere. Said he could see at least 5 from a few block radius by their hotel. I suspect they stayed at the Westin. 

The commentary and constant skyline shots were all extremely flattering last night. Half the shots were clearly taken another night (BOA and DEC not blue), but still it looked great.

• Like 1

Maybe this will be lively and landscaped heavily the Embassy Suites aka General Hospital  2nd photo renovations at 300 South Brevard tower 3rd photo BB&T Center is for sale and I know many don't like their deck ramp but I think it is landmark. (Best skating ramp in Carolinas) 

DSCN8708.JPG

DSCN8710.JPG

DSCN8757.JPG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Yes it is for sale  https://www.hfflp.com/properties/5541/bbt-center.aspx  I doubt anything major would happen to the garage its configuration. USC Darla Moore School of Business is opening on the ground floor I did see that today. 

An excellent opportunity for growth in educational opportunities in uptown. Moore school of business has been aggressively expanding and almost all of its programs are gaining national attention for their research and quality of education (of course I'm a little biased). There is the possibility of major growth here considering they've doubled in size since about 2000. It's essentially become the flagship college of USC.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2016 at 3:27 PM, cjd5050 said:

Not sure I like any of the designs.  Would love to see something like The Pendry that's under construction in San Diego.

gaslamp-2.jpg

OT - but this is an amazing building. I wish someone would build something like this here. Or preferably a carbon copy. The streetscape is perfect.

10 hours ago, Spartan said:

OT - but this is an amazing building. I wish someone would build something like this here. Or preferably a carbon copy. The streetscape is perfect.

Interesting aside....the site itself is a prime location right at the end of the gaslamp district.  Before the RE market tanked it was schedule to have a crappy stucco Marriot or something like that.  Those plans failed and it sat for another 8 years.  Now it's going to be this.

I guess sometimes missing out on 'just build it' does produce a better result down the line.