Bearden Park in Third Ward, Uptown Charlotte

dubone

They have a really nice yellow color in the Fall and are very hardy to city pollution.

For example, this street near my old office in DC:

t-fall_ginkos_on_riggs_st_nw_dc.jpg

I used to live at the corner of this block - New Hampshire and Riggs. My car is in the photo. :o

EDIT: These trees also have those awful balls that turn sticky when stepped on. The bricks in the photo would become impossible to walk on while sober, drunk, or in rain. 

Edited by dcharlotte

• 2 weeks later...

Why bother with a crosswalk? I routinely walk into them and gesture at drivers who won't stop (and windmills). Most look totally confused. There is absolutely no enforcement of them, nor my other favorite traffic gripe, HOV lanes. I've seen cops sitting there ignoring cars blowing past while people wait to cross.

Until they add a light to the cross walk to force cars to stop like they have for the church at Providence and Queens, elrodvt is right that it won't make a difference.

I stop at the crosswalk to let kids cross the road by Piedmont Middle on 10th street and people in the other lane generally just keep blowing on by leaving the kids stuck in the middle of the road.

• Like 1

Crosswalks can work in Charlotte.  It's getting everybody on the same page and making it commonplace.  Go to UNC Charlotte's campus.  You can walk right out in front of a moving vehicle there and it's completely understood.  Back in the day, before the signalized crosswalks were installed, we'd walk around campus without paying any mind to where cars were and it was never a problem. I feel like the signalized crosswalks were really more installed to allow cars to get passed the crosswalks as there was almost always a steady flow of pedestrians blocking their way.  I don't know why it's such a big deal in the rest of the city.

There is definitely a culture shift that needs to happen. I think despite all that is done for pedestrians in uptown, and the supposed 'priority' on the pedestrian that is attested to in the center city plans, they still are second to cars and driver behavior reflects that. The crosswalk at Brevard Ct is a 'test' - but if it stays permanently then I think it's a great sign for pedestrians in uptown. Now if one could be installed on Tryon at Latta Arcade then you'd have a really cool/interesting pedestrian-only corridor with a lot of that doesn't involve any hamster tubes.

In uptown and center city neighborhoods, folks are generally good about stopping at the line. I see far more "pull over" and crosswalk blocking action when you head further out. 

No way, Stand on Tryon during rush hour. It's RARE the box is not blocked. I don't understand the lack of horns here. Someone blocks the box in front of me and I feel I must shame them. ;-)

I guess we must be standing there at different times. It happens but my observation is that it's the exception rather than the rule within Uptown.

Try it 4-5 pm. And the cops just stand there. This should be a decently large fine. I understand the random mistake but I've watched people do it intersection after intersection. My walking speed just about keeps up at this time of day so easy to notice the true idiots.

Was able to walk around Bearden park this weekend and just wanted to comment on how nice the park is looking.  Because of festivities, there were lots of people milling around, which made for a nice atmosphere.  The trees are already looking much better compared to last year and will only continue to add more character to the park as they mature.  My only real complaint is that I noticed many Ginkgo trees along the Big Moon Green :shok: .  Ginkgo trees make quite a mess when they start dropping their fruit.  You have a lot of staining on the sidewalk and the smell is pretty wretched.  Obviously Ginkgo are not native, so why are they even there?  I sort of feel like dropping by one night and chopping them all down :ph34r:

If you removed all the non-native trees, shrubs and flowers from the North American landscape, you be left with some bleak views. Perhaps your anger extends to ill-trained "landscapers" and land-owners who descecrate trees and shrubs regularly...native and non-native. Also, you may want to consider a rant about the overplanting of "flowering" trees and brushing up on the differences between the traits of a species male and female members.

Welcome to the south. We want to push that horn, but we're just too damn nice to do it.

Ha! I asked the same question in Denver when we moved there since the horn is a rare sound there too. The answer "a horn can get all western". ;-)

The park is getting a Richard Hunt sculpture. Not exactly sure when or what....working on that.

It is going on the MLK side closer to Church St

Fencing went up yesterday around the first of the 3 flower beds on the MLK side as you walk up from the couple steps from the astro turf area.

The park is getting a Richard Hunt sculpture. Not exactly sure when or what....working on that.

It is going on the MLK side closer to Church St

That's kind of vague. Who is Richard Hunt and why is that significt? Is this sculpture permanent?

That's kind of vague. Who is Richard Hunt and why is that significt? Is this sculpture permanent?

Sorry for being vague it's just all I know....Richard Hunt seems pretty famous and I definitely recognize his style:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Hunt_%28sculptor%29

That being said, based on the construction permit docs it's definitely permanent. It's going on a 1" stainless steel podium and something like 14' in diameter.

From the Arts and Science Council:

Hunt’s sculpture, tentatively titled “Memory Place,” will be made of welded stainless steel, and is intended to create a sculptured collage containing references to Romare Bearden’s artistic practice, traditions and inspirations. Within the referential frame of Bearden’s life, the sculpture conjures up the Eiffel Tower, county churches, and roots in land and water associations.

“Together I hope the material of the sculpture, its craftsmanship, its associative possibilities and its lively presence make my homage to Romare Bearden a diversion of both substance and delight to visitors to Romare Bearden Park,” Hunt said.

• Like 1