SKYE Condominiums and Hyatt Place Hotel

monsoon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, most of his deals, he just "franchises" his name. This is the case in Tampa, Denver, Dallas, and several in the South Florida area. He does very few deals personally, the exceptions being his NYC properties, the new Trump Int. Hotel in New Orleans, a project in Las Vegas, Chicago, and maybe 1 or 2 in South Florida. I'm not sure of his Atlanta proposal, but he was known to be shopping for a co-developer, and probably is taking the back seat. (I don't know at all about the Toronto deal)

It's a pretty sweet deal, he shows up, approves a location, approves a design, sticks a shovel in the ground for the camera, gets his name plastered all over a building, and takes home a nice cut of the profits.

OKAY.....hate to be the bearer of bad news, but... i just looked out the window from my office and the CRANE at the Park has COLLAPSED onto the top of the parking deck - the base of the crane appears to have failed and buckled towards the building. The arm of the crane is draped over one of the elevator shafts hanging down onto Caldwell Street!!!! No LIE!!!!!!

WEIRD! hope nobody was hurt.

...I felt like i had to break the news here on the Park forum!

Well, I always read this forum, but never post- generally have nothing of real value to add- however, today has been different. I was walking down Caldwell when the crane fell. I was about a 1/2 block away when the creaking sound began, stopped in my tracks, and looked up to see the crane wrap over the parking garage, down over the scaffolding, on top of the light signal, and to the pavement. I agree witht he earlier comment- the earth definitely shook.

The construction workers jumped out of their perches from various locations in the building and ran to the scene to check for injuries. Luckily no cars were driving by and fortunately, no one was hurt (at least, that I saw in the 5 minutes I stood there). The light signal at 3rd and Caldwell (cars traveling on Caldwell across 3rd) was destroyed.

Relatively surreal, the crane looked like a piece of cooked spaghetti as it bent and folded over the obstructions. The sound was deafening.

Semi-ironic, walking home for lunch instead of eating out to avoid the "dangers" of fried, greasy restaurant food.

News14 reports that in addition to the damaged streetlight a guy was driving down the street and noticed an "odd shadow" moving across the street, then he saw a cable fall down and heard people yelling...he swerved as fast as he could to avoid the falling crane and luckily it only scraped his car. A very close call today.

Archived