SKYE Condominiums and Hyatt Place Hotel

monsoon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The latest from Pete Verna according to the CBJ is that steel will be erected starting next month.

As a sidenote, has anyone else seen the Smart Cars zipping around town painted in blue with the Verna Engineering logo on them? They are pretty sweet looking.

Those must be the cars you'll need to make it up 10 stories of parking deck on that building.

I have a feeling the pot shots will continue through to a year after the thing is build.

We haven't gotten to the phase of complaining how many floors they do a month, the complaints about the glass color they are putting up, the complaints about the EIFS, and then the complaints about the final look of the place. It's going to be a long few years :).

In next week's CBJ there's a special section on Vue vs. Avenue, blah, blah... There's also an inteview with Pete Verna (again confirming steel a-risin' next month... with occupancy in late 2007. Sure, Pete). Anyhoo, in addition to the black and white ad for The Park that I'd swear is an actual photo of the completed building if I didn't know better, he mentions he's purchased land across the street from The Park for a 1000 space parking deck as well as a Z-shaped (whatever that means) covered shopping center named "Gold Mine Bizarre"... er, "Bazaar".

It will actually be on the same block and extend from 3rd (between the Park and the old building with Park It!) to the gravel lot at 4th and Brevard.....I read it too, and didn't really understand how the retail is supposed to work, and if this is supposed to be enclose like part of Latta Arcade or what.

• 2 weeks later...

Took a closer look this morning ... the SE side is just concrete pulled away from the vertical beams... fooled me.

The NE side is a little more interesting. It does look like they've attached rebar to the verticals and are doing something. That must be the "single piece of steel" referred to above.

Took a closer look this morning ... the SE side is just concrete pulled away from the vertical beams... fooled me.

The NE side is a little more interesting. It does look like they've attached rebar to the verticals and are doing something. That must be the "single piece of steel" referred to above.

Yeah, I swear it really looks like they're DEconstructing the building more than anything. Does anyone have an old photo of just the parking deck that we could compare to see what's been un-built?

That would actually be the first part of the process. The deck was built with a steel frame to accomadate a larger building on top of it. To start constructing the steel frame for the Park, the concrete would have to be removed from the upper part of the steel frame.

Your correct on the construction of the building. Takes time to retrofit the building before the steel goes up. You should also see a crane onsite by end of next week, then the steel will go up. There is one steel beam that has been up for a few weeks undergoing a stress test. Lots of work has been going on inside of the building and now it should be going verticle. We shall see!

Wow, it will be nice to finally be able to stop giving this project such a hard time...

(fingers crossed)

I agree. I will be much more optomistic about this project once we see a crane moving steel! Thanks for the info NVQ.

A2

I agree. I will be much more optomistic about this project once we see a crane moving steel! Thanks for the info NVQ.

A2

By Friday pm, steel may start to magically appear? Not just one peice of steel anymore. I also hear the crane is coming over the weekend, due to its size and traffic issues during the workweek on 3rd street. They had 2 lanes of Caldwell blocked off all Wed.. due to a large green wheeled crane working on that side of the building. No one can afford to close off Caldwell & 3rd street, so the new crane is suppose to be large enough to work from the large lot they just cleared, up and over to the main streets, up to the 21 stories. Not sure what type of crane is coming, but looking down on it, it has to be rather large. Maybe like the one they used for the NBA Arena???? We shall see on Monday? Where is our picture guy who posts those "No Work in progress" photos? It may be go time for Pete and no go time to all the negative people. But as some have posted already, they will continue to blast the project until it is completed, people move in, have kids and send them to college. :cry: But thats ok too... :shades:

A2

Here is more about Uptown Charlotte, so I don't get slammed as being one sided on The Park Condos.. It may already be known, but just some news they mat create some buzz. ... (I do not own any stock in these companies nor have a hand in them, just think Charlotte is everything I have been telling everyone!)

* Ritz project getting bigger. Maybe like other Ritz Carlton's, they may add the Residences? Just like Boston!

* Portman Holdings finalizing its financing for mixed use residential/commercial/office behind Westin hotel on top of the parking deck. Not just talk anymore and they may not wait for a tenant???

* Old Adams Mark site about ready to show its future development besides The Blake Hotel conversion

* NASCAR office building Land option will be signed on Nov. 27th! 440,000 SF of office & meeting space

* The Big Mr. T is buzzing for a site in Charlotte. Like he has time with 20 other projects. But they seem to think Charlotte is just starting to get hot???? And Charlotte is ready for something higher end than just putting on the ritz?

* Just on the other side of the tracks (Belk Fwy), a buzz is happening about a high end project like south charlotte has... Maybe a Phillips Place lite but verticle with a hotel and shops? A South Tryon address is getting to be more high end, brand new and not just in the loop anymore. Makes in the loop S. tryon a covented address from 230 S.Tryon south to Belk loop... Sorry North Tryon guys, but I am out of Grey Poupon, have any mustard. Its not 615 Morehead!

* Ruth Chris opening up mid January at 230 S. Tryon with 3 nights of grand openings.. Cant fit everyone in on one night. They have a lot at stake with its 2nd opening in Uptown Charlotte. Make mine Medium!

* Marriott Hotel at Trade & Tryon just contracted. Seller expects to close in March 2007... Hmmm. overpaid and numbers dont work. Just my 2 cents, so expect it back on the market in April.

* BB&T building just contracted. The entire building and parking structure.

Enough for now.. Just public knowledge.... Is Charlotte on fire or what?

:ph34r:

.... Is Charlotte on fire or what?

:ph34r:

..... I don't know. Is downtown supposed to be a community or an office park with some entertainment thrown in? From the projects you listed, though I guess are exciting to some, are not going to do much for making downtown a destination for anyone other than workers and a place to get drunk and to eat expensive fattening meals. For most here the stated desire is for downtown to be the community, but we keep getting projects that on on the fancy office park path. I didn't see one thing on that list that might make me want to come downtowm more than once or twice a year and certainly not pull out the cash to move there.

* The Big Mr. T is buzzing for a site in Charlotte. Like he has time with 20 other projects. But they seem to think Charlotte is just starting to get hot???? And Charlotte is ready for something higher end than just putting on the ritz?

I'm excited about Trump being interested in Charlotte, but I wonder what he is looking to build. I don't think it would be condos because I think the market is saturated right now, so maybe it is a spec. That could be a good thing because Trump usually likes to make a statement when he builds something. We shall see...

I was wondering if and when Trump was going to hit CLT, maybe he will be the one to build an office tower on spec. We'll ignore the problems he has had in other cities, they don't happen here. :shades: Good news, especially the hotel mentions.

Not sure on the buzz by Mr. T... He always does something different...

PS. I was wrong on the Ritz adding residents... Sorry Would have worked

Charlotte Business Journal - 9:44 AM EST Thursday

Print this Article Email this Article Reprints RSS Feeds Most Viewed Most Emailed

Bank of America Corp. plans to build a 32-story office tower next to the Ritz-Carlton Hotel under way near its uptown headquarters. The addition of the tower boosts the project's value to $450 million. The office is slated to open in 2010.

..... I don't know. Is downtown supposed to be a community or an office park with some entertainment thrown in? From the projects you listed, though I guess are exciting to some, are not going to do much for making downtown a destination for anyone other than workers and a place to get drunk and to eat expensive fattening meals. For most here the stated desire is for downtown to be the community, but we keep getting projects that on on the fancy office park path. I didn't see one thing on that list that might make me want to come downtowm more than once or twice a year and certainly not pull out the cash to move there.

You need the office and the entertainment before people consider living there. Once people begin to live there, then you get a community. I think all we are missing right now is a nice park downtown.

Destination & community is coming quicker than you think. Those are already in the works... Watch I just cant say yet.. You cannot not just create a community without all the other stuff. Economics 101. About you not coming to uptown and trashing it.. It is 100 times better than most other metro cities I have seen.. You dont wanna come uptown.. ok by us. See you next year.. I will buy you lunch.

I'm excited about Trump being interested in Charlotte, but I wonder what he is looking to build. I don't think it would be condos because I think the market is saturated right now, so maybe it is a spec. That could be a good thing because Trump usually likes to make a statement when he builds something. We shall see...

Your right on target... Office occupany in Uptown is at a scary low of 4.7%... 10% is healthy as people want to move where there is space. Mixed Use is still good for Charlotte... We shall see..

Even with BankAmerica annoucement, there usally take eveything they build.

- - -

Charlotte Business Journal - 9:44 AM EST Thursday

Print this Article Email this Article Reprints RSS Feeds Most Viewed Most Emailed

Bank of America Corp. plans to build a 32-story office tower next to the Ritz-Carlton Hotel under way near its uptown headquarters.

The addition of the tower boosts the project's value to $450 million. The office is slated to open in 2010.

Archived