SKYE Condominiums and Hyatt Place Hotel

monsoon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here is what i have heard... the crane operator from the accident has been fired from his company (no suprise there). the guy had 17 years of experience with no prior accidents. the crane that was in use up until friday was a 110 ton crane... the crane they now will use is a 450 ton crane. the GC of this project was in charge of providing a roadway for the crane, in which he was responsible for scraping daily and putting fresh gravel on top. there is a discrepancy on whether that fresh gravel was put in on friday. as we all know, the ground in charlotte has been very wet the last couple of weeks. in any event, i am told the roadway for the crane has been mandated to be re-made much wider for the cranes traction. the constuction company is verna construction.

it would appear to me, that the GC for verna shares some of the responsibilty... and you have to ask why wasn't a 450 ton crane used in the first place. once again, i'm glad nobody was hurt - hopefully this project can continue to completion without a another hitch.

From TheParkCondos.net website:

The final assessment of the November 17th incident has been finalized. No structural damage and only minor physical damage to the building is being reported. The damaged mobile crane has been removed and the site is in the process of restarting construction. Buckner Steel Erection & Cranes will have a permanent crane on-site starting December 4th and by December 8th, the crane will be ready to restart the steel erection. The crane will stay in place until the 21 story project is complete. Verna Construction, Buckner, Southern Steel and a host of others responded quickly to review, plan and restart the construction of The Park Condos. Buckner Steel Erection stands by its past safety performance, earning them recognition on a regular basis, with such successful projects as the Charlotte NBA Arena.

I gotta say, as much as we bash Verna, he gives us the greatest detail of what is going on with his projects.

From TheParkCondos.net website:

The final assessment of the November 17th incident has been finalized. No structural damage and only minor physical damage to the building is being reported. The damaged mobile crane has been removed and the site is in the process of restarting construction. Buckner Steel Erection & Cranes will have a permanent crane on-site starting December 4th and by December 8th, the crane will be ready to restart the steel erection. The crane will stay in place until the 21 story project is complete. Verna Construction, Buckner, Southern Steel and a host of others responded quickly to review, plan and restart the construction of The Park Condos. Buckner Steel Erection stands by its past safety performance, earning them recognition on a regular basis, with such successful projects as the Charlotte NBA Arena.

I gotta say, as much as we bash Verna, he gives us the greatest detail of what is going on with his projects.

This is just confirmation of all that I had heard as well. I am shocked that they are waiting till Dec 4th. I figured it (the crane) would be up this week. I guess they will resume after the holidays just to make things a bit smoother. As for this project, it is 100% a go!

A2

I'm not sure why this is just occuring to me, but it is. Does anyone know why there are 10 floors of parking for 10-11 stories of residences? That is 1:1. Surely the square footage of parking spaces doesn't equal the square footage of the condomiums.

Why would this have been done? It seems like a problem for the overhead costs of the building.

Does that pay for itself? I doubt it. It seems like an expensive thing to include, which doesn't add much value to the residents. In fact, having to drive up extra floors for parking is a negative for the residents.

The residents will have to also share the building elevators and the lobby with the general public. The Marriot on Tryon/3rd has seperate elevators: 1 for access to the hotel, which is locked to the general public, and two elevators for the parking that have a separate lobby entrance, but I only see two elevator shafts on top of the PARKing deck. Which brings us up to the next gotcha: the daily commuters that park in the garage, have to go through the Condo Lobby to get to the Condo elevators to get to their vehicle. There must be a separate elevator, just for the general public.

Now that I think about this, it seems to be complicated. I am assuming there is badge access to activate floor levels in the elevator and maybe the public parking levels do not require a badge to push them. Let's say a resident and a commuter walk in the lobby at the same time and the resindent badges 20th floor, the commuter presses level 3 and does not get off on level 3 but rides on with the resident. How does this get resolved?

The elevator situation in a building is an often overlooked but very important aspect to the livability of said building. It's often an area where the developer will cut costs. I've seen good and bad with this. If this is a 25 story building, then just 2 elevators sounds like it is going to be a big issue for the people living there. They should have at least one elevator with controlled access for just the residents.

Well, actually, this is only 10 stories of condos, so 2 elevators won't be too bad for that, especially with fairly small floorplates. But the notion that they'll have public parking means one of two bad things. Possibly, the first few floors of parking are for the public, with no elevator, causing all the residents to drive up and up and up to get to their spaces. More likely, however, they'll have public access to the elevator, which completely takes away a major security benefit of these towers.

I think this issue, not just for the park, will be one of the most problematic ones with our new tall buildings. Several of the high rises have a ratio of 100 units per elevator. You may live in a cushy penthouse, but saying hello to 25 to 50 floors of co-residents on the way down to work will take quite a bit of time.

That is discounting moving in, getting the groceries into the elevator and the wait for it to arrive.

Hopefully the next generation of tall residential will be tuned more carefully.

I think this issue, not just for the park, will be one of the most problematic ones with our new tall buildings. Several of the high rises have a ratio of 100 units per elevator. You may live in a cushy penthouse, but saying hello to 25 to 50 floors of co-residents on the way down to work will take quite a bit of time.

That is discounting moving in, getting the groceries into the elevator and the wait for it to arrive.

Hopefully the next generation of tall residential will be tuned more carefully.

Per The Park Condos Website (http://www.theparkcondos.net/std_feature_main.htm)

The main lobby will house three posh, high-speed elevators, two passenger and one service, to ensure quick access coming and going. Traveling at 550 feet per minute (passenger) and 350 feet per minute (service), these leading-edge elevators are gearless and do not require a machine room, since the entire drive is located within the hoistway. Residents will be given a flash card for elevator and parking access to the residential floors of the building.

The Park Condominiums will provide its residents with the latest in security. Security cameras will be located on all condominium, parking, service, main and rooftop levels and will be monitored at the security station on the main floor. Voice communications to the security station will be available from all condominium homes and at various other locations within the building. The security guard will verbally validate guests with residents before allowing access to the building. Once guests have entered the lobby, the security attendant will provide access to the specific floor of their host.

Maybe he plans to continue monthly parking for commuters on some levels?

Per the submitted plans to the city, The Park Condos has secured entry to the building, with long term corporate contracts for parking on floors 2 to 4, Monday to Friday only. Nights and weekends, the Condo owners will have card key access for its guests with 149 parking spaces. Floors 5 on up have an additional secured card key access for the Condo Owners only. No night and weekend public parking will be allowed.

The Vue has 400+ condos with only 49 visitor parking spaces?

Per the submitted plans to the city, The Park Condos has secured entry to the building, with long term corporate contracts for parking on floors 2 to 4, Monday to Friday only. Nights and weekends, the Condo owners will have card key access for its guests with 149 parking spaces. Floors 5 on up have an additional secured card key access for the Condo Owners only. No night and weekend public parking will be allowed.

Thanks for the head's up NVQ. I am glad to see that the proper measures have been taken to give the residents at The Park more than adequate security.

I am really excited about this project, as I know all of us here at UP are. Keep those informative posts coming. :)

A2

In the Vue's defense, and I know we're talking posh rather than suburban and college settings, but most of the apartment and townhouse complexes I have been to over the last few years are extremely limited with their visitor parking. 1 per 10 seems to be decent in an urban environment where a lot of people (but obviously not the majority) do not own cars.

It is good to see that the Park will have this much parking, but what will your friend do with their if they want to visit you on a weekday or perhaps spend the night? I can't imagine making them wake up at 4am to go move their car as they can only park there during night and weekend hours. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding the concept.

Don't forget this parking deck is used, and likely contracted for, the offices in the existing building on the corner of 4th and Caldwell. Those offices already use the parking deck and when I've parked there in the past it is fairly full. Their parking needs won't go away so I'd imagine why what could appear to be "extra" parking is there.

Archived