SKYE Condominiums and Hyatt Place Hotel

monsoon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, this is surreal. Do you think this will hurt the Park's chances of ever going forward, or do you think they'll move on quickly after this accident?

There are places in the world where an accident like this would be enough of a bad portent that people woundn't go near the place again lest some of the bad energy get on them too. And I am talking about places that have modern skyscrapers too. It does make one think.

I just left the scene. After talking with some workers and people at the site, it has done no structural damage. They did not say whether it was operator error, or error on the part of people directing him but apparantly the crane clipped a corner of the park, causing it to sway, which caused it to buckle. It then crumpled over the structure,buckling at each contact point and finished off on Caldwell. They were checking for structural damage still while I was there, but had so far reported none at all. I take it these cranes are very fragil when not in there normal state... I was also told that a second, much larger crane was scheduled to take over for this one in 2 weeks. A small crane was already on scene to clean up the mess, and I was told another crane would be on site by Mon/Tue. That seems a bit quick, as I'm sure they will have to do investigations and all, but who knows.

I'll post pictures in about 30min when I get home...

If I was a suspicious person I'd say they'll do anything it takes to delay this project. Hard to tell what damage was done from the webcam though. Have any details NVQ?

posted on there website..

The Crane at the jobsite had a failure and collapsed on part of the structure in the area not being worked on. The cranes failure caused it to lay upon one side of the structure, then crimped and collapse on the other side of the structure and then crimped and fell to the street below damaging the streetlight. The utmost in safety is always a concern and every precaution was taken to reduce any accidents to the workers onsite and those walking under the protected covered sidewalk next to the project. None of the 40 workers or any bystanders were injured and no structural damage to the building was reported. Buckner Corp., the Crane subcontractor and Operator had a recovery truck onsite within 15 minutes and are removing the damaged crane. Verna Construction has a rare ongoing partnership with OSHA for the project and OSHA was onsite within minutes. Structural Engineers & OSHA cleared the building to be safe within 30 minutes and had personnel remove any cars from the parking structure. A replacement crane should be onsite by end of next week and construction will continue. Insurance representatives for the project were onsite and indicated minor damage, except for the crane itself. We thought it was very important to make sure our workers are always safe, bystanders are protected, and our future residents know they will be living in the best built condo project in the city.

I just left the scene. After talking with some workers and people at the site, it has done no structural damage. They did not say whether it was operator error, or error on the part of people directing him but apparantly the crane clipped a corner of the park, causing it to sway, which caused it to buckle. It then crumpled over the structure,buckling at each contact point and finished off on Caldwell. They were checking for structural damage still while I was there, but had so far reported none at all. I take it these cranes are very fragil when not in there normal state... I was also told that a second, much larger crane was scheduled to take over for this one in 2 weeks. A small crane was already on scene to clean up the mess, and I was told another crane would be on site by Mon/Tue. That seems a bit quick, as I'm sure they will have to do investigations and all, but who knows.

I'll post pictures in about 30min when I get home...

Channel 3 said it appeared to be the crane operator error and they only require 80 hours of training. HMmm... They said Buckner is a safe operator.. Didnt they do the Arena as well? Not Sure. They will report again at 6pm.

I suspect their insurer will want some kind of review and explanation of what will be done differently, going forward. There will probably be delay beyond just removing the mess.

Insurance normally covers the jobsite, the structure and injuries. None reported, so they just take photos and go. The Crane owner and operator is liable for there operations and would be liable for the rest, as it is not attached to the phsical building. I assume its a non issue. Buckner as reported in the news, would be liable.

Identity gets confusing sometimes when you're posting anonymously :).

I went by and was actually shocked at how much steel has already gone up on the site since I last went by, and that wasn't all that long ago.

Does this count as a no-news-is-bad-news publicity? Now EVERYONE will know that The Park is under construction.

I'm glad no one was hurt. The crane does look like a complete mess. I wonder what the heck they were trying to lift. It would seem that the steel pieces are all roughly the same size at this point.

Identity gets confusing sometimes when you're posting anonymously :).

I went by and was actually shocked at how much steel has already gone up on the site since I last went by, and that wasn't all that long ago.

Does this count as a no-news-is-bad-news publicity? Now EVERYONE will know that The Park is under construction.

I'm glad no one was hurt. The crane does look like a complete mess. I wonder what the heck they were trying to lift. It would seem that the steel pieces are all roughly the same size at this point.

It was probably a combination of the weight it was bearing, the angle it had to be at to get over all that newly raised steel, on top of knicking the side of the structure causing it to buckle and ultimately fall over.

Bad example: if you place a weight on top of a few upright drink straws, they should be relatively stable when applying that little bit of pressure; however, given the least bit of pressure to the sides and they will comes folding down in these same circumstances.

As for the training, sadly a lot of construction equipment only requires two weeks (80 hours) of training to become certified at the lowest level. Whether or not cranes are included in that list I don't know.

That was a quote from the website for the park. He didnt say it himself.

Yeah, but it reads eerily like NVQ himself.... grammar and everything.

How common are these crane accidents? They certainly look fragile as hell, but can't recall hearing of any other accidents. NVQ, by how much time do you estimate the accident to put things behind schedule?

According to all parties I spoke to today, this will not stop construction at all. The steel will continue to be erected and a new crane will be on site within a couple of days. Again, this is from all of the steel workers that were at the site. NVQ, I do not know your role in the project, but I know you must be a lot closer than many thought. The reason I say all of that is because you knew of the close relationship between OSHA and Verna. Only someone close to Verna and this project would know that.

Everything you accounted for in your post is exactly what I got from the men working. Most of them were just commenting about how much money was lost in the crane (roughly 2 million from the accounts I heard). The crane and its operator are the only parties liable for damage, and I would suspect that Verna will suffer NO set-backs, save a coulple of days for the new crane to arrive on site.

As for the creaking noise, I can personally confirm that the crane sounded much like the click-clack of a roller coaster as it is being pulled up its first hill when it was erecting the massive steel beams. It was an eerie sound that just seemed odd. What would have been really bad is if someone was actually walking around the perimeter of the bldg, when the accident happened :shok: . Thank God that was not the case.

A2

According to all parties I spoke to today, this will not stop construction at all. The steel will continue to be erected and a new crane will be on site within a couple of days. Again, this is from all of the steel workers that were at the site. NVQ, I do not know your role in the project, but I know you must be a lot closer than many thought. The reason I say all of that is because you knew of the close relationship between OSHA and Verna. Only someone close to Verna and this project would know that.

A2

The OSHA annoucement was posted on there website sometime back and they had a public annoucement with OSHA guys from the State. Public knowledge..

The News on TV said no one was hurt and thats all that matters..

Archived