The Greensboro Triumph Center

cityboi

You could easily get around 12 stories with 150K sq ft. And it most certainly sounds like an anchor tenant is involved.

The overall development indeed sounds impressive, especially the amount of convention space. I truly think that's a good thing. As many conventions as I've been to in Greensboro at the KCC/Sheraton, I don't really think most, if any, of the delegates got a chance to experience the essence of the city, which is downtown (I mean really, after going to Four Seasons Mall on the first day, what's the appeal of going back the 2nd, 3rd, etc. days?). With a new park and a relatively new ballpark, downtown is even more of a destination, so why not build a facility that could expose some conventioneers to the good things happening in center city Greensboro?

I think with a larger footprint, it won't appear as though so much is being crammed into a limited amount of space, but all depends on how many acres we're talking.

And that's a pretty large hotel we're talking for downtown. A lot of cities Greensboro's size don't have hotels with 500 rooms. But then again, downtown Greensboro is a smaller hotel market compared with other cities of similar size.

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was said that this is nothing more than taking things already found in Greensboro and combining them into one development. I disagree. There is talk of rides so im sure it could be like a mini themepark of some sort. I would love to see some sort of indoor roller coaster. The bowling alley would likely be Lucky Strike Lanes, an upscale bowling alley/restaurant thats opening in major downtown entertainment complexes around the country. Its not like your typical bowling alley, its very posh and upscale yet welcoming enough to invite your friends with you to go there to have a good time. One is opening up in Charlotte's EpiCentre. http://www.bowlluckystrike.com/ While more details have been revealed there is still alot to be revealed about this. The article said the project would have a four star hotel which is the same level as the Grandover Resort in Greensboro and the Omni and Westin hotels in uptown Charlotte. I can begin to say I told you so to some because there are some things in this that I have been speculating about all along like the bowling alley.

here is an updated article this morning. It looks like there would be at least two towers. The hotel would actually be 20 stories and there is an 18-story building thats part of 3 connected buildings.There could even be a smaller tower part of that too. There would be a total of 6 buildings. The four star hotel would also include a restaurant and spa.

The entertainment complex could include a 4 screen movie theater, 20-lane "cosmic" bowling alley, roller rink, 16 to 20 billard tables, interactive games, simulator rides and possibally a 3-D IMAX theater. But time is running out and things need to be in place VERY soon if all this is to happen.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...C0101/308100011

Lucky Strike seems to favor developments like this. Theres one at Gallery Place in DC, which has just about everything this proposal has for Greensboro...movie theater, bowling alley, restaurants, and retail.

Lucky Strikes is one of those "cosmic" retro bowling alleys. The paper said "cosmic" so my guess is that it is Lucky Strikes. Its a very upscale establishment and the games are a more expensive then your typical bowling alley. They also have a very nice restaurant within the bowling alley. This is what you could expect to see

solutions.jpg

LuckyStrikeBar.jpg

LANES.JPG

312389063_e47fd4d1a9_o.jpg

Let me start off clarifing two points. First is that I really hope a this project materializes and becomes successful. Second is that there is a lot of speculation with this (even the artilce uses the word "could" about 100 times) so I am simply addding opinion and speculation. Even the article is titled "Iffy project up to $300 Million"

I think from what they have descibed so far it sounds more like they are going to put in a Dave and Busters rather than some great amusement park or entertainment facility. I think the Jillians (Same company as B&D) has about 20 bowling lanes in their restaurant at Concord Mills. As for the kids rides it sounds like a Jeepers Creepers facility (there's one in Concrod Mills as well). With any hope it will be something way better than this but this is the image I see when reading the article. I will say downtown could use a decent hotel and I hope if this project goes through that is the first part they build.

As for Greensboro's need to grow that is very true but we also need to learn explore what we already have in this city. So many areas are under utilized. There are great bars, restaurants, and shops but since they are not at Friendly Center or Downtown they are overlooked. I remember Charlotte about ten years ago before there was a bar on every corner and a restaurant everywhere in between. The bars that did exist were packed, same goes for the restaurants and the hotels. There was this infulx of people from all these bigger cities. They were filling these facilities and there became a need for more to support their needs (simple economics I know) so the city has grown to what it is today. I don't see the same thing happening in Greensboro yet. We need the people in order to support the ideas. I'll be looking forward to the announcement of the major anchor tenant to fill the office space they are proposing.

The price tag keeps going up on this. My prediction is that before its all over we could be looking at a half of billion dollars. My gut feeling is that we are still in the dark about alot of this despite all that was revealed this morning. ;)

I know this has been established that Disney is not a part of this but I couldnt help but notice how some of the characteristics of this project resembles "Disney Quest" at Downtown Disney. Basically an arcade that includes simulator rides. One thing is for sure. The a number of things in this project parallels exactly what Disney has in mind and maybe other developers are trying to beat Disney in doing this. These Orlando developers are definatly on to what Disney is planning to do.

I was also right in my prediction of what additional land could be included in this project.

I predicted that the red outlined tract to the left would be included in the project and it looks like I was right. The News & Record shows a map in todays paper that includes part of that left tract I outlined.

These tracts of land appear to be the favorite for this project. Im glad. It would do wonders for Greensboro's skyline. The city would no longer have a "linear" skyline but a more dimensional skyline like Winston-Salem. Two buildings around 20 stories and a few between 7 and 10 stories would do wonders for Greensboro's skyline. I was hoping for something a little taller so Greensboro's skyline would have more height variation but It looks like we'll have to wait for that Center Pointe II tower unless this project grows in scale.

gsoproject2.jpg

Interestingly enough, when you said something about indoor roller coaster rides, I immediately thought Disney Quest. I have been to the one in Chicago, and it's pretty darn cool.

well you just never know......I know it was said it was not Disney and maybe they are not the primary developer here but whos to say, they could be a part of this. There are multiple developers and investors involved and those indoor amusements sound Exactly like a Disney Quest. If Disney is no way involved with this, then the developer is obviously trying to compete with Disney in its plans to build urban hotel/entertainment complexes across the country. Ironically Disney made its announcement of doing this earlier this year and ironically the primary developer for Greensboro's project is in Orlando. The investors of this Greensboro project said if successful here they may do this across the country. If this project has a Disney Quest in it, it would probablly be just part of a larger entertainment complex.

10330_1.jpg

DQpirate%20copy.gif

It would also be cool if this project had an indoor roller coaster. Who knows. If they build a larger plan, that could happen.

Also the "restaurant/entertainment venue" that seats over 1,000 and draws national acts, sounds EXACTLY like a House of Blues. The House of Blues have venues that seat between 1,000 and 2,000 people and includes a restaurant and bar.. Ive been saying this all along and Greensboro already has a House of Blues connection. The N Club is a House of Blues network venue and already attracts some House of Blues acts. I've been right about alot of things here and I know im right about this.

491219249_dc69c2681b_o.jpg

Here is a link to the House of Blues website. notice one of the cities on one if its tours ;)

http://www.hob.com/aboutHOB/press/pressrel...dex.asp?pid=602

I think the N Club has been so successful, they now want to go with a full blown House of Blues.

Also keep in mind there are other "secondary" projects directly related to this developement that havent been discussed, one of which being the second luxury hotel thats being proposed, its smaller than the big 500 room hotel and would have only 50 rooms but it will be a luxurious boutique hotel and I would expect it to at least be as nice as the O'Henry.

Like I said before what was revealed in the latest article is not all of it. There is more to this project that hasnt been revealed yet! If built in its entirety, it WILL exceed $300 million :) right now at $300 million, this investment would equal more than half the total taxable value that exists in downtown today! This project will have a HUGE impact on downtown Greensboro and just think about all the spinoff development, this thing could attract! This is really some exciting stuff here and I really hope it happens. This project would take downtown Greensboro to the next level and I think downtown will become more tourist oriented as well considering other projects underway like the International Civil Rights Museum for example. This project being proposed for downtown is pretty much a compact mixed-use convention/tourist development that would sprawl on 3 or more downtown blocks. If built im sure, architecturally this is going to be a defining development for Greensboro. The convention center in this would be as large as the Koury Convention Center. I like the fact that there are at least two towers in this project but from what I understand, there could be more. We know that the hotel could be 20-stories and there is another building at 18-stories. We could see another building or two somewhere areound 10 or 12 stories. We are talking about a development here that could dramatically alter Greensboro's skyline and because of the project's potential location, Greensboro's skyline would no longer appear to be linear. With Roy Caroll's 30-story Center Pointe II tower and the planned 15 to 20 story federal courthouse, Greensboro's skyline will grow even more and Greensboro will finally look like a city of a qaurter of a million people. Also consider that this project can also spur more mixed-use office/condo towers downtown as well. I truly believe this project can have that much of an impact. i think thats what UNCG professor Keith Debbage (who was brief on this project) meant when he said this could be the final piece of the puzzle for downtown Greensboro, because the development could set the pace for future development to come. Debbage said if we land this project "Greensboro will have arrived"

The development would consist of 3 components

"1) a multiuse complex that includes 150,000 square feet of prime office space; about 20,000 square feet of retail space; about 200 apartments and 50 luxury condominiums; a restaurant/entertainment venue; and a 1,000-vehicle parking deck.

This part of the development would include three connected buildings, the tallest of which would be about 18 stories.

The entertainment/restaurant site could support national acts and seat more than 1,000 people, Gibbs said. (sounds like House of Blues)

2) a 500-room, four-star luxury hotel and an attached, 200,000-square-foot convention center and shopping court. (The Koury Convention Center has 250,000 sq ft)The hotel could be as tall as 20 stories and would include a restaurant, spa and parking deck.

3) a 200,000-square-foot entertainment complex that could include a four-screen movie theater; a 20-lane "cosmic" bowling alley; a roller rink; 16 to 20 billiard tables; interactive games, simulator rides and children's rides; and perhaps, a 3-D IMAX theater. This section would also have a parking deck."

There were also rumors of an urban supermarket being a part of this.

If it's the Federal Courthouse you're talking about, don't expect it to be constructed anytime soon given our administration's current priorities.

yea its a shame. Its on hold but the plans for the courthouse have not been scrapped. If it werent for Bush's war in Iraq, construction would have started in the fall of 2006 meaning we would have seen it rising from the ground today.

The Entertainment Complex is suppose to have interactive games, simulator rides and children's rides. I would expect the simulator rides to look something like this. All this could be the future of downtown Greensboro!

20426116.jpg

dlh-07.jpg

figure1a.jpg

new-york-skyride-theater.jpg

bodyWars.jpg

Since a bowling alley and roller rink are a part of this, I would all expect to see indoor minature golf or even a gokart track as well.

6306602_c0b5612043.jpg

hob4.png

hob15.png

hob6.png

DomeSituationReport_html_40ce35a7.gif

1110394532_3812.jpg

Tables-Rules-And-Rates.jpg

concert.jpg

I was really hoping this development would bring a new tallest skyscraper to the city. It's still awesome but instead of 2 around 20 wish it was one around 36-40 stories.

Nobody--save Trump, or his equal--is going to build that tall if they can do the same thing with more land and bldgs... and if folks really want a legit street scene with 18+ hour activity, then multiple mid-rises will do that a lot better than a single tower. Tall skylines are fun to look at from the freeway, but streetlife is where it's at.

Nobody--save Trump, or his equal--is going to build that tall if they can do the same thing with more land and bldgs... and if folks really want a legit street scene with 18+ hour activity, then multiple mid-rises will do that a lot better than a single tower. Tall skylines are fun to look at from the freeway, but streetlife is where it's at.

I agree

I to am hoping this would bring the tallest tower to downtown. I love the idea of a proposed 3 tower buildings all being connected. I am really hoping they will ALL be at least 20 stories. This is great for Greensboro.

you never know.

I think its safe to say that part of this project is "Disney like" or "themepark like" based on some of the entertainment attractions revealed to us, simulator rides, children's rides, ect and based on this comments made by Ray Gibbs which really hint that part of this is a vacation-like destination. Based on the comments, its described as being an alternative to big tourist destinations like themparks by bringing up concerns of gas cost and security and travelers wanting to stay closer to home.

"The concept of such all-in-one tourist/convention destinations -- a kind of theme park without roller coasters or water slides -- is an idea whose time is arriving, Gibbs insists.

Shorter vacations, high gas prices and concerns about security are all conspiring to compel travelers to stay closer to home. The investors know, Gibbs says, that several million people live within a two-hour drive of Greensboro. It's a prime central location, they believe, made more appealing by a revitalizing downtown scene."

As for the 150,000 plus square feet of office space, There is obviously a big company looking to move their offices downtown. Its hard to picture that amount of office space being multi-tenant with alot of small companies when there are still pockets of office space vacant in some of the existing newer and older towers as well as lowrise buildings thoughout downtown. This has to be a big company looking for alot of space which isnt available in other downtown office buildings. So we just might see multiple big surprises in this development. :)

Archived