The Greensboro Triumph Center

cityboi

Seriously, there's now been what, 16 posts in half as many hours basically going back & forth with "the plan's been scrapped" vs "no it hasn't"? When something actually happens with this thing one way or the other, can somebody please start a new thread so I can quit wasting my time with this one?

• Replies 781
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This project was in the works well before it was reported to the media. I starting to wish it had been kept under wraps until some ink was dry. In the last News and Record article, it was stated that "they are trying to acquire contracts on various properties", and that "the developers may be interested in acquiring additional property around a particular site for secondary projects". Now folks are starting to drop their head because of an office rumor. Come on guys ... lets keep a positive outlook about this. I'm as anxious as anyone (except maby cityboi) to hear some good news. Just because they're not talking means they're walking !

It sounded like the News & Record got wind of this very early (which can be very detrimental to a project) just as they started to begin discussions.

Citiboi i don't recall an office tower at the ballpark location. When was this proposed and how tall was it supposed to be?

This was about a year ago. I think it was suppose to be between 10 and 15 stories but im not sure. But the public is not even aware that this proposal was on the table. one tenant would have occupied the tower. The comapny basically said the city was just taking too long with their support for the project. Im not sure what company this was.

speaking of projects fallen by the wayside, does anyone know what's become of the 5 or so story office building w/ a ground floor mellow mushroom that was supposedly being built at greene & mcgee streets?

as far as I know it hasnt been cancelled.

Citiboi, it's might quiet. You think this is dead?

I think if it were dead It would have hit the press. If the project were dead, it would have been declassified as well and city leaders would be talking about what could have been. But, like Gibbs and others have been saying all along, it takes time to put the pieces together for something this big. At first Gibbs said it may take 6 months before the developers would decided to do something, then he said 3 months. So right now its up in the air. There is still the possibilty that this may not happen. I will continue to remain optimistic until we hear further info.

I think if it were dead It would have hit the press. If the project were dead, it would have been declassified as well and city leaders would be talking about what could have been.

As I said in a earlier post:

Not necessarily true, because of financial reasons surrounding the possible demise of the project. The investors could also not be at will to discuss ongoing litigations. It's also better to not say anything than say something at all. If there was a big media craze over the failure of this development, then the developers of this would lose their reputation and might not ever be able to build a project again because of banks having little faith to finance it. It's better to keep it "hush-hush" and let it die down then to formally announce," Greensboro, I'm sorry but we failed and could not just make this project work."

It's too early in the game to think whether it has died or not. I'm guessing either 1) the developers are going through the process of acquiring the necessary land or 2) Mr. Gibbs and the mayor released too much information prematurely and now vacant land surrounding downtown has probably increased in value due to their announcements and it is financially unfeasible to follow through with the project.

This doesn't mean the project is dead. For comparative purposes, a mixed-use development in Columbia, SC which is to include office buildings, a garage, condos, retail space and a hotel, was first proposed in 2004, renderings were released either earlier this year or late last year, and in between those times, things were really quiet. There was just an article this week in the local paper about how the downturn in the residential market is causing the developers to rethink things a bit, since condos make up a good bit of the proposed development. So it could very well be the case here that market forces are causing the developers to see what mix would be feasible in order to make the project work, and that will take some time.

This doesn't mean the project is dead. For comparative purposes, a mixed-use development in Columbia, SC which is to include office buildings, a garage, condos, retail space and a hotel, was first proposed in 2004, renderings were released either earlier this year or late last year, and in between those times, things were really quiet. There was just an article this week in the local paper about how the downturn in the residential market is causing the developers to rethink things a bit, since condos make up a good bit of the proposed development. So it could very well be the case here that market forces are causing the developers to see what mix would be feasible in order to make the project work, and that will take some time.

You make good points. The market can change on a dime. Frankly I think the worst that could happen is this thing getting scaled all the way back. Although its possible it may not happen. But nothing has indicated this thing is failing.

So I see that a rather vague article on this giant complex was in the News and Record today. If I read it correctly they plan on taking all the things already in Greensboro and put them in one spot.

I wonder if they have any idea who is going to take the 150,000 sq ft of office space. That would be a big boost to our local job market since no one is willing to take any of the other available office space around town.

As exciting as this project could be it is starting to sound like a project that shouldn't happen instead of one that will make a difference in the city. I sure hope I am wrong and that this becomes a project to put us on the map. I hate sounding negative but this article doesn't make the project sound like anything exciting.

Here's the article: http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...EC0101/70809028

yea, that name is impressive! i love it. still, i cant help but wonder why they feel the need to add more convention space right down the street from koury and the greensboro coliseum. and what happened to the "cluster" of high-rises and mid-rises?

still sounds like a nice project that could change downtown (not the region) for the better!

yes!!! The project is now at $300 million

- 150,000 square feet of prime office space (enough space for an office tower)

- 20,000 square feet of retail space

- 250 residential units (apartments/luxury condos)

- restaurant/entertainment venue that could support national acts and seat over 1,000 people (sounds like House of Blues to me)

- four-star 500 room hotel and an attached 200,000 sqaure foot convention center and shopping court (the hotel could be as tall as 18-stories)

- a 200,000 sqaure foot entertainment complex that could include a multiplex theater, bowling alley, roller rink, billards hall, games, rides and IMAX theater.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...EC0101/70809028

Glad to see some more details have been revealed about this project. Though, does anybody else think they're cramming too much into this development? It's starting to sound a little hodge-podgeish.

well the article said it now has a larger footprint so my guess is that the developers have land under contract now. also based on the square footage of office space, hotel size and number of residential units, there could be a cluster of mid and high-rises as the business journal stated. The amount of office space is really surprising. I think there must be a primary tenant to occupy that space.

also remember All the details still havent been revealed yet!

After doing a little bit of math, 150,000 square feet of Class-A office space equates to roughly 5-7 stories (depending on the footprint of the building). I'm looking more forward towards the hotel part of this project though!

It may be time to put on the Jacksons "Triumph" Album LOL

I can understand why some of you are very skepital about this project. I have got to believe that a group of national and international developers would not consider this unless they felt it was a viable project. If they are sinking $300M into this, one would think they have done a great deal of market research. Hummm, hard to believe, just maybe Greensboro is finally growing up a little. It is truely shocking isn't it? It is just hard for some to look at what Greensboro can be in the future. We belittle ourselves by thinking in the smallest of terms....Thinking and believing that nothing great could ever be possible in Greensboro. Heck, we can't even call the urban loop a "beltway". We can't invision anything greater than a "Painter Boulevard"! It is sad for such a great area to be thinking 30 year behind the times! :cry:

Archived