Project Skyline

g-man430

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was interesting that the South Carolina corporation is the one making the $1.9B investment and Florida corporations are making the smaller contributions (something like $218M if I remember correctly). Who in SC can make a $1.9B investment in Greenville??? :dontknow:

I thought it was interesting that the South Carolina corporation is the one making the $1.9B investment and Florida corporations are making the smaller contributions (something like $218M if I remember correctly). Who in SC can make a $1.9B investment in Greenville??? :dontknow:

Would we be willing to give incentives for Milliken to relocate its headquarters to Greenville? Is it really a good investment long-term?

I still wonder if the company located in South Carolina currently has its headquarters in another state. Seriously, how many SC-headquartered companies can afford that type of investment?

We keep on thinking about who can make a $1.9 B investment. But remember that is over 30 years, think of it that way and it opens things up. Also, it is a Mixed Use project, so that does not mean the HQ's alone will be $1.9 B. Heck it might be just $60 Million of a $1.9 B project. Also, maybe the SC and FL companies are just developers, then the HQ might be from out of state.

There are a number of SC developers that could take on $1.9 Billion Dollar Projects over 30 years. Maybe it is Edens & Avant or that company out of Myrtle Beach....

Or Maybe it will be master developed with a number of developers building individual parts of the project then there could be even more SC companies that could handle it.

We keep on thinking about who can make a $1.9 B investment. But remember that is over 30 years, think of it that way and it opens things up. Also, it is a Mixed Use project, so that does not mean the HQ's alone will be $1.9 B. Heck it might be just $60 Million of a $1.9 B project. Also, maybe the SC and FL companies are just developers, then the HQ might be from out of state.

There are a number of SC developers that could take on $1.9 Billion Dollar Projects over 30 years. Maybe it is Edens & Avant or that company out of Myrtle Beach....

Or Maybe it will be master developed with a number of developers building individual parts of the project then there could be even more SC companies that could handle it.

I wonder about this project after reading the lates GNews article. The corporate headquarters doesn't seem to be the focus here. Maybe it's mostly a mixed use development spread over 20 years that includes a "corporate headquarters" that's part of the development company or one that's just a small part of the whole. It would be an easier way sell the county on providing big incentives.

In a vibrant area like downtown Greenville, there are few mixed use developments that should get much public incentive outside of road improvements necessary to support the project. Also, if it involved a condo project of any kind, the billion dollars of investments start being a smaller true investment. For example, if construction costs of a condo project equal $20,000,000, then they sell the condos for 3-4 times their construction cost, it might be considered a $80-$100 million project. If the plan is 4-5 phases over 20 years as demand absorbs the project, then maybe it's close to a billion dollar project if you take into account the pricing increases that would occur over 20 years.

I realize that's an extreme example, but retail and office could work similarly in the right circumstances.

So, our choices are: a.) this is a true corporate headquarters or manufacturing project worthy of incentives because of what they bring to the area; b.) it's something the county is considering because their egos are being stroked and it's on county property so someone had to sell them on the idea; or c.) it will fall apart as soon as the public is involved and points out to the county council that they don't know what they're doing. Even though the city is involved, I think it still falls into one of the 3 choices.

Remember that giving heavy incentives for something other than high end long term jobs just takes money out of local developer's pockets and sends it to Florida. You may not like developers, but Greenville developers spend their money in Greenville. Why give incentives for a project that will mean that that some other project suffers? If you sell a condo - or lease to a retailer - should you have to compete against someone who gets bankrolled by the taxpayers?

The key quote that has been nagging at me today is, "time is of the essence." That tells me this involves something much greater than a mere headquarters relocation. This is likely something much more important than that in regards to the long range planning of our county. It definitely has the potential to change the face of the Greenville metro, considering the size (multiple locations) and total investment cost.

^ You are right. I don't know about Rockefeller Center, but GE is huge. Could it be a regional headquarters then? :whistling:

This thread kind of died quickly. I thought there was some meeting that was going to get public input last week. Nothing came of it? Or am I mistaken...

Archived