Project Skyline

g-man430

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are they wacko blog rumors or people in the know rumors? I can't imagine that any of our esteemed county council people can actually keep a secret when they are craving respect and approval of so many. Somebody knows. A developer knows, a dozen people surrounding the developer know, the companies making the investment know, thirty people around them know, at least a county council person or 2 know, their whole family probably knows, a dozen people who tell those county council people how to make decisions know, as I listed these folks 50 more people who've talked to these folks just found out.

Why shouldn't we know? :thumbsup:

Up until recently, I assumed that the corporate HQ would be on the current County Square site, with county offices relocating to a tower on the property. I assumed that the mixed-use component would either tie into the corporate HQ, or elsewhere downtown. And I also assumed that this huge company (big enough for $2 billion in investment) would need some sort of large manufacturing/production facility elsewhere in Greenville County.

But now, it seems that County Square will be a mixed-use project - which makes sense given County Council's somewhat surprising refusal to be part of the County Square-Magnolia Park Town Center deal we heard about months ago. If so, then it seems that Greenville County has been aware of "Project Skyline" for quite some time. And if so, then I think it's safe to say that negotiations have some real power behind them and we're in good shape to see this deal happen.

I'm still not sure where on I-85 between Pelham Road and I-385 the corporate HQ would be located. Does anyone have any guesses? Why would an extra bridge need to be built over I-85? Simply to accommodate the huge workforce needed for such a large headquarters? Again, that supports the $2 BILLION we're talking about here. That will be thousands of jobs, new residents for Greenville County, etc. Exciting stuff.

Okay, I'm finished talking now and am curious to see what you guys think!

Up until recently, I assumed that the corporate HQ would be on the current County Square site, with county offices relocating to a tower on the property. I assumed that the mixed-use component would either tie into the corporate HQ, or elsewhere downtown. And I also assumed that this huge company (big enough for $2 billion in investment) would need some sort of large manufacturing/production facility elsewhere in Greenville County.

But now, it seems that County Square will be a mixed-use project - which makes sense given County Council's somewhat surprising refusal to be part of the County Square-Magnolia Park Town Center deal we heard about months ago. If so, then it seems that Greenville County has been aware of "Project Skyline" for quite some time. And if so, then I think it's safe to say that negotiations have some real power behind them and we're in good shape to see this deal happen.

I'm still not sure where on I-85 between Pelham Road and I-385 the corporate HQ would be located. Does anyone have any guesses? Why would an extra bridge need to be built over I-85? Simply to accommodate the huge workforce needed for such a large headquarters? Again, that supports the $2 BILLION we're talking about here. That will be thousands of jobs, new residents for Greenville County, etc. Exciting stuff.

But now, it seems that County Square will be a mixed-use project - which makes sense given County Council's somewhat surprising refusal to be part of the County Square-Magnolia Park Town Center deal we heard about months ago. If so, then it seems that Greenville County has been aware of "Project Skyline" for quite some time. And if so, then I think it's safe to say that negotiations have some real power behind them and we're in good shape to see this deal happen...

After reading more of what is going on in Greensboro, I am greater convinced we are indeed somehow in a competion to land the same deal in one format or another. From some of the rumors, it sounds as if our Project Skyline has the possibility to definitely be tied in with the same development. Whether anyone else agrees or not is irrelavant, since it is simply too serious a consideration to avoid. It even has me a bit nervous that we may lose out once again. The County Square deal may be necessary to provide the land that is needed, and the SC organization's massive investment may be used to build the County's new home as well as provide much needed infrustructure such as parking among other incentives. The serious nature of our leaders' efforts to make this happen parallels what is happening in Greensboro, and the secrecy of both is almost identical, as is the size of the potential impact upon completion.

Wow, what a series of events! :thumbsup:

The good news is that if it is the same project by that odd chance then Greenville might have a better shot of landing it currently. According to some rumors, Greensboro is having trouble with a lot of things involving this project including getting everybody with the city on the same page as to how much tax incentives to offer and so forth. There are three things that are different though: Money, ours consist of a headquarters, and number of sites.

The good news is that if it is the same project by that odd chance then Greenville currently has a better shot of landing it. According to some rumors, Greensboro is having trouble with a lot of things involving this project including getting everybody involved with the city on the same page as to how much tax incentives to offer and so forth. There are three things that are different though: Money, ours consist of a headquarters, and number of sites.

Here's the number one reason why I don't think the Greensboro proposal and Project Skyline are the same. The major element of the Greensboro proposal is entertainment. Another forumer in the know about the project compared it to EpiCentre in Charlotte. Project Skyline has as its focus a corporate HQ's. If these two proposals are the same, don't you think that the corporate aspect of Greensboro's proposal would be emphasized over an entertainment complex? I would also imagine that if Project Skyline were the same as the Greensboro proposal, the latter would evoke comparisons to the Wachovia complex under construction in Charlotte (which includes a 700+ office tower housing a significant number of new workers, a condo tower, arts complex) as opposed to EpiCentre (condo tower, hotel, restaurants, retail). Also, if Greensboro's proposal is corporate in nature first and foremost, I wouldn't think there would be any problem with the city landing this deal as it has a pretty good track record in this regard, but that doesn't seem to be the scenario here, as it has been said that the city has lots of obstacles to overcome in landing this project.

Another major difference seems to be Project Skyline having three components, whereas that hasn't been mentioned for the Greensboro proposal.

The entertainment component is one that could definitley be included (hidden) in Project Skyline as well, just as the corporate HQ could be included (hidden) in the Greensboro development. I know this is speculation and should only be considered as such, but it is definitely a possibility.

I attempted to solve that in my last post on the previous page. Greenville is most likely selling the County Square location and in turn would have to relocate the offices. That could be one of the components right there. Another could involve the land around County Square, which would need to be made available to the developer to make everything work - including any necessary infrustructure that would be required. Two of the projects include mixed-use development and a corporate HQ. Add them up and you should be able to account for all three components of the massive development. We have always said it would take an enormous amount of money to get the county offices moved, and this seems to be the time. :shades:

Rclydec, writing below the article, seems pretty convinced that he knows what's going on and BillyHill sounds confident, too. Earlier I dismissed rclydec's idea because of what I thought was referred to as a $300 million land value for county square, but it looks like he means a $300 million profit for a developer.

If, by chance, they're on to some truth, what is rclydec referring to when he says "the bridge over I-85 will cost $50 million at least". And, is gsupstate talking about the same thing?

To GreenvilleGrows, they're rumors from sources that are fairly reliable. I wouldn't go to say they are credible, but they have been right on certain things before. Just remember who found out it was Cytec who was the one expanding here and when the Peacock Hotel and Spa groundbreaking was. Me. :)

Correct. I haven't heard any rumors on who the corporation might be.

Archived