Is Haywood the next McAlister?

vicupstate

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After a recent trip to Haywood, my thoughts, for what they're worth (perhaps little): 

1. Haywood gets a LOT of customers.  Perhaps because it's the only mall in town, and the only set of department stores, but it does get a lot of customers, at least when I was there (a Saturday).

2. Surely Haywood will be losing at least 1 anchor in the next few years when Sears goes under.  I'd expect that the Sears space could be re-done as maybe a restaurant/lifestyle component, which the mall badly needs, so that would be an improvement and would help keep the mall strong.  See Stamford Town Center for a property that lost 1 of its 3 anchors but was re-done like that.

3.  Haywood seems to have a lower-income clientele than downtown does- or at least dodgier-looking.   I can't speak for Greenridge since people there seem to drive around rather than walk around. 

I think that Haywood will be fine in the short run at least, but it should be concerned about its clientele and the upper-income stores cropping up downtown and at Greenridge.

• 1 month later...

That spot would probubly be way too close the current Target on Woodruff Rd.

Yes and no...

Look at Walmart on Pelham and Woodruff... just 10 minutes away from each other...

Up here, we have Target the way Walmart is down there, just not to the same extent. The latest thing here is Target in malls,

taking up defunct anchors. They're doing that in Canada too with Target taking over Zellers.

So, yeah, it can be done, and I'd rather see it that way than another big box somewhere...

Yes and no...

Look at Walmart on Pelham and Woodruff... just 10 minutes away from each other...

Up here, we have Target the way Walmart is down there, just not to the same extent. The latest thing here is Target in malls,

taking up defunct anchors. They're doing that in Canada too with Target taking over Zellers.

So, yeah, it can be done, and I'd rather see it that way than another big box somewhere...

I spent a few years living in Cambridge, in the area on one side of Mass Ave near Harvard Square.  There are Targets in big Northeastern cities that are near each other, but (1) those areas have population densities far higher than Greenville has and (2) a lot of people don't drive, so getting to Target requires public transportation or walking, so with 1 and 2, Targets can be close to each other and not siphon off business.  Heck, when I lived in Cambridge, even going to CambridgeSide Galleria was a major trip and it's probably not more than 2 miles from where I lived.

Greenville does have "space" for a Target closer into town, though.  With Haywood Road deteriorating, though, I'd expect to see another Target closer into downtown.  Never thought a Brooks Brothers would come downtown, so I'd never say never re: a Target coming.

I spent a few years living in Cambridge, in the area on one side of Mass Ave near Harvard Square. There are Targets in big Northeastern cities that are near each other, but (1) those areas have population densities far higher than Greenville has and (2) a lot of people don't drive, so getting to Target requires public transportation or walking, so with 1 and 2, Targets can be close to each other and not siphon off business. Heck, when I lived in Cambridge, even going to CambridgeSide Galleria was a major trip and it's probably not more than 2 miles from where I lived.

Greenville does have "space" for a Target closer into town, though. With Haywood Road deteriorating, though, I'd expect to see another Target closer into downtown. Never thought a Brooks Brothers would come downtown, so I'd never say never re: a Target coming.

I don't think Haywood road is deteriorating. It's actually being revitalized.

I spent a few years living in Cambridge, in the area on one side of Mass Ave near Harvard Square.  There are Targets in big Northeastern cities that are near each other, but (1) those areas have population densities far higher than Greenville has and (2) a lot of people don't drive, so getting to Target requires public transportation or walking, so with 1 and 2, Targets can be close to each other and not siphon off business.  Heck, when I lived in Cambridge, even going to CambridgeSide Galleria was a major trip and it's probably not more than 2 miles from where I lived.

Greenville does have "space" for a Target closer into town, though.  With Haywood Road deteriorating, though, I'd expect to see another Target closer into downtown.  Never thought a Brooks Brothers would come downtown, so I'd never say never re: a Target coming.

Agreed.  Haywood Road, other than Haywood Mall, has continued to go downhill.  Quite the sad area now.

• 3 weeks later...

Arby's has closed.

That is a shame. The employee's there were awesome. I hope they land at other Arby's. 

Well, south of Haywood Mall, the road's share of retail sales has dropped dramatically in the past decade, and plenty of retailers have left.

Well, south of Haywood Mall, the road's share of retail sales has dropped dramatically in the past decade, and plenty of retailers have left.

Hales continues to thrive on Haywood Road. I guess that is due to the reputation of the owner, the employee's and the quality product. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived