Wells Fargo Center Progress

mikeas

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder how they're gonna coordinate construction of this tower with construction of light rail going on at the same time. Getting all those trucks in and out of there is gonna be a nightmare. :shok:

hahaha, yeah I have to laugh at you guys for this one. Currently in downtown Portland, they are riping up streets downtown to put in a new stormwater system. Two main streets downtown are under construction for more LR lines. Along those lines is a old building under a massive renovation. Another building is under construction on those two streets. Not including the several towers that are currently under construction throughtout downtown.

These two little projects should be a cakewalk for downtown...heck, if you want a better local example, the MacArthur Center was a huge frustration downtown when that was being constructed. These two projects happening at the same time will be nothing compared to those.

hahaha, yeah I have to laugh at you guys for this one. Currently in downtown Portland, they are riping up streets downtown to put in a new stormwater system. Two main streets downtown are under construction for more LR lines. Along those lines is a old building under a massive renovation. Another building is under construction on those two streets. Not including the several towers that are currently under construction throughtout downtown.

These two little projects should be a cakewalk for downtown...heck, if you want a better local example, the MacArthur Center was a huge frustration downtown when that was being constructed. These two projects happening at the same time will be nothing compared to those.

And Granby, and the new hotel, and former Brambleton Tower, and . . .

I like the "newer" rendering better. I agree with vdogg, it does look more cohesive as opposed to many elements thrown together. I'm not an architect, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, and I think it looks vastly improved. Heck, it's got that Norfolk look, adn I'm OK with that.

Have we even figured out which one is the correct rendering? One is on the official Norfolk development update website and the other was put on WVEC.

Since wvec was the most recent thing put out on the tower, and I'm sure the asked the developer for a rendering for the article, I'm guessing this one. The one on the norfolk development site was put out before this one was. It also looks more polished and detailed which is making me lean toward this one as well. It is also slightly taller. The one from norfolk developments site is only 20 floors while this one is about 22. Matching the height given in the article. I'm still holding out for 25 though. I think it's doable. :)

Woohoo, beautiful. :) Much better.

L_IMAGE11432118fbd9388fad0.12c4dc16c.jpg

While I do agree with several people saying that this one is more, "like Norfolk," I question whether that is a good thing or not. Let me just say I do not like the old rendering, and that this one is far better, but still neither of them are that impressive. Where is there an architect that will find a way to make something fit in with Norfolk, but challenge the current designs to make something actually unique? I would be paying big money for that person!

This building I feel would be great in Pembroke though, because unlike Norfolk, it is a "fresh pallet" if you will and this would change up the design in that area a bit...

I had high hopes for this development until I saw the latest rendering. Again it fits in well with Norfolk (Kind of Boxy, bland, white and utilitarian). The earlier rendering and the rendering on the development site seem bolder and more futuristic. I hope whatever the final design turns out will have a much more interesting roofline. Norfolk has too many buildings like this one. On the other hand any company that invests in Downtown Norfolk and builds a tower is alright by me.

I had high hopes for this development until I saw the latest rendering. Again it fits in well with Norfolk (Kind of Boxy, bland, white and utilitarian). The earlier rendering and the rendering on the development site seem bolder and more futuristic. I hope whatever the final design turns out will have a much more interesting roofline. Norfolk has too many buildings like this one. On the other hand any company that invests in Downtown Norfolk and builds a tower is alright by me.

I agree, the rounded crown separated Wachovia from everything else, however, at this point I'll take anything over 20 that will get built.

Woohoo, beautiful. :) Much better.

L_IMAGE11432118fbd9388fad0.12c4dc16c.jpg

Somewhat similar to Richmond city hall, right?

201459641_be3fcd9ca3.jpg

I went to Richmond all day Saturday and really like their city hall with it's all steel and glass design. After looking at it though and the latest rendering of Wachovia Center, I kinda saw the similarities. Not necessarily a bad comparison.

photo taken by: Images2U on Flickr

• 3 weeks later...

I think that side is supposed to be a new location for chrysler hall someday.

interesting, I didn't think there was ever any serious talk about building a new one. But once the Wachovia tower is built, that would look cool having an urban feeling hall downtown like that.

Granted I will always have a soft spot for the Scope and Chrysler Hall complex because the architect who designed it has done some amazing work and that is one of the few projects he has actually done in the States.

Archived