Wells Fargo Center Progress

mikeas

I feel the same way. The newer rendering somehow looks better, as the glass tower seems to grow out of the base more naturally. Maybe an accounting firm staffed by giraffes will sign on, giving us a bit more height. Such a business would also be concerned about promoting an urban forestation project.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Member briefing upcoming for the DNC:

DATE - Wednesday, March 7th

TIME - 8:00 AM - Continental Breakfast & 8:30 AM - Program

PLACE - The Murray Center, First Baptist Church, 455 East Bute Street

(Parking is available immediately adjacent to the church in the Brambleton Avenue Parking Lot)

SPEAKER - Tom Johnson, Senior Vice President - S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.

ABOUT THE PROGRAM - Be one of the first to hear and see the details of The Wachovia Center. Billed by the developers as “one of the finest buildings in Hampton Roads and the region

• 2 weeks later...

As you guys know, I'm not someone in favour of height for heights sake. However, the more I look at this building, the more I think it would be a really nice looking architectural gem, especially if they add a more stories of the glass office. It would give the building more proportion with the lower apartment half, and really juxtaposition the growth of the glass out of the lower facade. 3 more stories should do it and I think the commercial market will be there for them to do it.

As you guys know, I'm not someone in favour of height for heights sake. However, the more I look at this building, the more I think it would be a really nice looking architectural gem, especially if they add a more stories of the glass office. It would give the building more proportion with the lower apartment half, and really juxtaposition the growth of the glass out of the lower facade. 3 more stories should do it and I think the commercial market will be there for them to do it.

Let me pick my jaw up off the floor. Glassoul, did you just advocate an increase in height? :shok: (j/k :lol:)

I agree with you on this (though the new rendering makes it look quite a bit better already). I think a few more floors (like 2 or 3) is not out of the realm of possibility if all the pre-leasing goes as expected. Not needed imo but it definately wouldn't hurt either. This is one of those rare, solid, developments for Norfolk that doesn't require and excess of city subsidy. I'm really rooting for things to go smoothly with this one.

Member briefing upcoming for the DNC:

DATE - Wednesday, March 7th

TIME - 8:00 AM - Continental Breakfast & 8:30 AM - Program

PLACE - The Murray Center, First Baptist Church, 455 East Bute Street

(Parking is available immediately adjacent to the church in the Brambleton Avenue Parking Lot)

SPEAKER - Tom Johnson, Senior Vice President - S.L. Nusbaum Realty Co.

ABOUT THE PROGRAM - Be one of the first to hear and see the details of The Wachovia Center. Billed by the developers as

• 2 weeks later...

Hey TomJ, its been a while since we've heard from ya. I know you're extremely busy but when you do get a chance, can you fill us in on what was discussed at your recent DNC breakfast meeting?

Also how do you feel about Mr. Divaris comparing Wachovia Center to the new tower development for Town Center at his State of of Town Center speech?

Hey TomJ, its been a while since we've heard from ya. I know you're extremely busy but when you do get a chance, can you fill us in on what was discussed at your recent DNC breakfast meeting?

Also how do you feel about Mr. Divaris comparing Wachovia Center to the new tower development for Town Center at his State of of Town Center speech?

What exactly was said Ace?

Norfolk law firm's 'new look' will be in Wachovia Center

The law firm of Willcox & Savage, an original tenant of the Bank of America Building, announced Friday that it will relocate to the Wachovia Center in 2010.

The announcement ensures the law firm's 130 employees will remain downtown. It will lease 40,000 square feet in the Wachovia Center.

Also this:

"This will likely be the only new office building downtown for the next four or five years," he said. "As a Hampton Roads- based company, we think the opportunity to be an anchor tenant in this project is a unique one."

At the DNC breakfast, I just gave our powerpoint presentation regarding the project, which takes about 20 minutes. There was a 40 minute networking session beforehand, at which I spoke about the project to a lot of people. There really was not much of a discussion, as there were about 150 people there, and it was more of just the presentation, and several questions afterward.

Regarding Mr. Divaris's comments, Town Center does have free parking, which is an advantage. Fortunately for the Wachovia Center and for downtown Norfolk, more companies than ever are willing to pay for parking in order to be located in downtown, as evidenced by Willcox & Savage's recent announcement. Town Center is nice, but it really does not compete with the amenities, atmosphere, waterfront, history, real neighborhoods and "sense of place" offered by downtown Norfolk.

That was actually the first I had heard of a planned new tower at Town Center, and I have not heard of any tenants that they have signed up. In today's construction environent, I don't expect to see any office "tower" begin construction without significant pre-leasing announced.

Regarding Mr. Divaris's comments, Town Center does have free parking, which is an advantage. Fortunately for the Wachovia Center and for downtown Norfolk, more companies than ever are willing to pay for parking in order to be located in downtown, as evidenced by Willcox & Savage's recent announcement. Town Center is nice, but it really does not compete with the amenities, atmosphere, waterfront, history, real neighborhoods and "sense of place" offered by downtown Norfolk.

That was actually the first I had heard of a planned new tower at Town Center, and I have not heard of any tenants that they have signed up. In today's construction environent, I don't expect to see any office "tower" begin construction without significant pre-leasing announced.

Wow you guys are off to an incredible start and progressing well despite the new office developments for TC and secretive Snyder Lot project. 40,000 sq ft for Wilcox & Salvage, 35,000 sq ft for Nusbaum, 25,000 sq ft for Goodman & Company, and 41,500 sq ft for Wachovia Bank is great considering we still have a year before you guys start work and 3 years before you open the building! Great work and I wish you guys luck signing on the other company's that you're still negotiating with.

At the DNC breakfast, I just gave our powerpoint presentation regarding the project, which takes about 20 minutes. There was a 40 minute networking session beforehand, at which I spoke about the project to a lot of people. There really was not much of a discussion, as there were about 150 people there, and it was more of just the presentation, and several questions afterward.

There will actually be 2 new office towers. One to go on the Virginia Beach Beacon lot and the other on the lot behind the Columbus center. They actually plan to start construction as soon as the Beacons lease is up which will be the beginning of 2008. No word on tenants yet but I assume they have some definates if they're moving to this stage (probably keeping the information pretty close to the vest though). Here are the details that were posted in the Va. Beach Town Center thread.

I inquired as to the location of the new tower from and I was quite surprised. I will paste the response here:

The new tower will be built where the Beacon Building is situated (holy cow Batman! :yahoo: )

Construction can only begin once the Beacon has moved which will be

early next year. We expect construction to be underway by mid 2008.

We will also build a high rise office with retail in the large parking

lot (corner Constitution/Columbus). That will follow the beacon Bldg.

In the meantime we will build a 6 storey building, Two Columbus Center,

in the One Columbus Center parking lot, across from Barnes and Noble.

We should start construction of that building later this year.

So I guess the Pilot lot will be 20 storeys. I wonder how tall the building on this lot will be? The lot below is actually larger than the AH tower lot so it's footprint is going to be pretty big.

DSC01512.jpg

and below are Mr. Divaris' comments:

Future developments for the town center include another tower similar to the Armada Hoffler building on Central Park Avenue. The first floor, Divaris said, would be residential, with office space above it.

Divaris said this project has a slight advantage over the Wachovia Center development in downtown Norfolk.

"Whilst our costs for building the office tower are about the same, we don't have the extra burden of the parking costs," he said.

The town center has 3,200 free parking spaces.

Also in development is Two Columbus Center, a five-story, 270,000-square-foot tower with retail on the first floor and four floors of office space, Divaris said.

The second Columbus tower would be built next to the Hilton, which is on Town Center Drive and Virginia Beach Boulevard. One Columbus Center is on Main Street and Town Center Drive.

I guess 1 thing you can say about VB's desire to outdo Norfolk is that the competition should make them both grow considerably in the future. I'm sure both cities will do whatever they can to bring in new business so they can build new buildings. Norfolk is clearly the leader, but VB may just push them somewhat.

Why am I not surprised Virginia Beach is relying on free parking as the main selling point over any project downtown Norfolk has going. Town Center is a joke. Maybe the most unfriendly pedestrian environment in the State of Virginia, and they done not one thing to address that issue.

Archived