Wells Fargo Center Progress

mikeas

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've started driving test piles. The information we gather will help us finalize the foundation and structural plans.

Very refreshing on two fronts: to have someone directly related the project giving updates, two, the idea that it won't take a year from test piles to utility work :thumbsup:

I think it takes a couple of weeks to complete the testing. Why? Is the pile driver gone? I know they usually have to load test them for a period of time.

Not really. Test piles are done in different areas of the lot to get an overall idea of the soil conditions of the lot as a whole. Depending on the lot size it could only take a couple of days to do. They are only probably driving 15 -30 piles to get the sample. (possibly more if the lot size is huge.)

Wachoviadetailed3.jpg

Well, I think we can call this case closed. The location for this design review committee docket item, to be presented on Dec 10th, matches the location of the symphony hall in the above rendering exactly.

East Freemason Certificate of Appropriateness

a.

Southeast corner of Bank and East Charlotte Streets, Virginia Arts Festival building; new construction

This one will have 1700 seats as opposed to chryslers what, 2500? I wouldn't think chrysler was going anywhere unless we're having trouble filling the seats already there. There is a question of overlap though. I'm taking it the symphony hall will focus on musical performances only while chysler will only be plays.

The city is preparing to close down the monticello garage so they are definitely moving forward on site work.

Yeah, I think the schedule has been accelerated somewhat. Before demolition was supposed to start in March, but I think in a recent article they said demo would start early next year with construction underway by March. It's nice to see this thing progressing so quickly. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if the city is trying to replace Chrysler Hall. I have been there a few times and have friends in the music/concert business a we both agree that Chrysler has some of the worst acoustics around.

I bet a quarter Chrysler Hall stays. A new symphony hall would free up dates in the larger hall for sit-down runs of shows such as LION KING, WICKED, etc. which are an economic boost to the city. While Chrysler may not be ideal accoustically, that is not a problem with todays amplification magic.

1700 seats is right for an acoustically correct symphony hall, and 2500 capacity is perfect for 1st class touring shows, forums, ballet, comics and such.

Norfolk is very lucky to have so many performance spaces, and will be even luckier to land a dedicated symphony hall.

Where did you get the 1,700-seat figure, vdogg? I didn't think we had any specifics on this yet. Oh, and if this is already going up for design review, why hasn't the Pilot reported a word on this? Norfolk getting a new symphony hall is a big deal!

Where did you get the 1,700-seat figure, vdogg? I didn't think we had any specifics on this yet

Yeah, I got it from the details section of the loopnet listing.

Property Description:

Office Tower: 250,000 Square Foot

Parking: 1,950 total spaces

Retail: 50,000 square feet

Symphony Hall: 1,700 seats (proposed)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived