Wells Fargo Center Progress

mikeas

I think the building looks beautiful. I'm just not in love with the apartments (or condos, whichever they are) that surround it. I was hoping that site could hold two or three large office towers. Nonetheless, this building is equally as nice as the original rendering in my opinion and will complement GT very very well (assuming it is built). Infact, I thought the original rendering looked too NOVA imho.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O.K., so they moved the Kirn Library out of the LRT row and placed it on top of the Royster Building. Then they glued the whole mess to a sister tower with handles on the top and lifted the whole train wreck over to Chyrsler Hall. What is this hodgepodge? I need to see the other side of it in order to make any sense of it.

O.K., so they moved the Kirn Library out of the LRT row and placed it on top of the Royster Building. Then they glued the whole mess to a sister tower with handles on the top and lifted the whole train wreck over to Chyrsler Hall. What is this hodgepodge? I need to see the other side of it in order to make any sense of it.

:rofl: Its that new architecutral style from the French Le Cutandpaste

Yeah, what Padman said. :lol: The glass is no longer organic to the structure. It's like the apartments and office building collided at a high rate of speed and this is what settled out. Quite a disappointing day for design in Norfolk. Maybe we should've all just kept our mouths shut, and perhaps they would've settled for the original design (which was far better IMO). It's still not too late though. We've got about 6 months till they break ground on this sucker, perhaps another redesign will come about by then.

Thoughts?

Wachoviarevised.jpg

What's up with taking the best part of designs and altering them to near minimum similarity while downgrading at the same time? First Hilton's CC and now the top half of Wachovia's Tower. Is Granby going to be the only project that was designed better after it's original design debut? Oh and that low rise apartment design belongs in Ghent at least.

What's up with taking the best part of designs and altering them to near minimum similarity while downgrading at the same time? First Hilton's CC and now the top half of Wachovia's Tower. Is Granby going to be the only project that was designed better after it's original design debut? Oh and that low rise apartment design belongs in Ghent at least.

They need to just build the tower and save the parking garage for now. It's not worth tearing down to replace with that though downtown could use some affordable rental property, if thats what this well be...

I think that one this with this rendering is that the office portion is computer generated, while the apartments are in water color. It makes the whole thing look more out of place than it actually is. Second is the coloring, we have enough white and off white buildings in Hampton Roads. Our city's are choking on this color. Try something different. Bring the glass to the edges of the tower to give the building more of a sense of sleekness and continuity. With these minor changes the design of the building could actually seem quite funky and daring. On a side note, it seems like every time something nice looking goes through design review we wind up with watered down crap a few weeks later. I know this building started the process about a month or two ago, so i'm sure their guiding hand was in this process somewhere. Remember Cosmo418? Nope, not for Norfolk, too bold. <_<

It's an interesting design. It looks like 3 buildings. That all glass section is designed to lower the perceived height of the "middle" building so that the building sections step up in height while keeping the large floor plans on the upper levels.. I don't think it's mediocre architecture. It's actually somewhat adventurous like AH was adventurous, and at least the Wachovia tower portion looks better than the AH tower portion. Still, I'd rather have one tower and a separate condo/apt enveloped garage.

It may be that I'm in one of my rare good moods, but I don't mind this design. I actually like it better than the first drawing. It's only 22 floors. Whatever. It's fine. It's better than fine in fact. That comparison Charlotte building's pretty damn ugly, btw. Sorry. Woopsy, bad mood back. Thanks Charlotte!

I Haven't found a link to on Pilot Online, but in todays business section

it has a blurb under biz briefs about Wachovia Center.

It says that the project is on track, despite the problems facing other downtown projects.

Demo should start early next year and it should be coming out of the ground in March.

They are looking forward to a June or July 2010 completion date.

Certain tenants are wanting to get into the new building then due to expiring leases.

There will be 250,000 sqare feet of ofice space with 138,000 already taken.

I would think it would be on track. Look who the star tenant will be: a bank. And not just any bank, but Wachovia which is actually trying to increase its share of home and corporate loans. Too many deposits and not enough loans on the books. If they wanted too, they could give a favorable rate as well.

It may be that I'm in one of my rare good moods, but I don't mind this design. I actually like it better than the first drawing. It's only 22 floors. Whatever. It's fine. It's better than fine in fact. That comparison Charlotte building's pretty damn ugly, btw. Sorry. Woopsy, bad mood back. Thanks Charlotte!

I think we'd all be jumping for joy if a building of that stature were plopped in the middle of our downtown. Lets be honest. I only wish the one downtown could look anything like that.

I found this short article about Wachovia Center on wvec.com. It doesn't seem like big news, but I suppose they'll say more about it in a future broadcast.

NORFOLK'S WACHOVIA CENTER "ON SCHEDULE"

I wonder how they're gonna coordinate construction of this tower with construction of light rail going on at the same time. Getting all those trucks in and out of there is gonna be a nightmare. :shok:

Archived